Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drug for ectopics?

Posted by Sdweller 
Drug for ectopics?
August 01, 2020 11:22AM
I've been suffering from excessive ectopics this year, (ablated for afib 14 years ago and get very few afib episodes since).... they are heavy, and only sometimes lead to afib, but that does not last long.

But my sessions of ectopics last 10- 30 hours usually, pac's and pvc's. They sometimes make me tired...

What are the drugs perscribed for this? I have bradycardia....so I think beta-blockers will NOT work for me?
Re: Drug for ectopics?
August 01, 2020 12:00PM
I'm waiting to find out the same thing, I'm not sure there are any drugs specifically for ectopics, are there?

Mine never lead to afib (touch wood), since ablation. But then, I have actually only suffered with ectopics since I had my ablation.

Awaiting results of a zio patch soon, so I guess I'll find out.

Have you tried the host of supplements that are recommended by the very helpful patrons of these forums? They are meant to be very good for dealing with ectopics, although I've had mixed success in recent months to be honest.
August 01, 2020 12:09PM
If you have bradycardia then the only drug options would be antiarrhythmics, but those all come with side effects and some are quite expensive. Are you sure these episodes are really just PACs and PVCs rather than AF?
August 01, 2020 12:10PM
After my first ablation (pvi) I had thousands of ectopics a day. Taking flecainide (2*50mg) and bisoprolol (1*2.5mg) helped a lot. But it couldn't treat the short afib episodes I still had.
I've had touch-up procedures after that. Still short afib episodes and ectopics from time to time. But manageable without meds.
If you can't stand your ectopics, there are some supplements which at least can help keeping your heart quieter. Good magnesium and taurine are among the stuffs having the best effects, according to many people here. Avoiding eating much dairies (to have lower calcium intake) may help too.
I don't say it'll work for you, but it's worth a try. A couple minutes with ectopics is bearable. A couple hours too, maybe. But the day (or night) long, I know it's awful.
Good luck !
August 01, 2020 01:40PM
Thanks for the responses....

I'm on magnesium, potassium, taurine...and have been since my electrophysiologist at Cleveland Clinic told me to take them 15 years or so ago. They have always helped....but not so much with this new pattern I'm in. Of course...without them I'm sure it could be worse.

I know afib well, and can tell when I'm in it or not as opposed to ectopics....(I'm one of those who feel every missed beat of my heart)....and I wore a zio patch which showed that the 10 - 30 hour "patterns" I am having are all pac's and some pvc's...(and very little SVT and a very little afib). Afib not more than 1-2 minute little runs here and there...and mostly for a short period.....very different from what I've had for the last 20 years.

This pattern this is is TOTALLY different than anything Ive had for the last 20 years...and it just appeared quickly....so I am lost again! I have never been on blood thinner or drugs, (except after my ablation for short period)...but these ectopic runs are really affecting my life so I was wondering about the drug option.

The last 14 years...after my ablation...just a couple/few afib episodes per year 1-3 hours each. Now, ectopic city. I think I prefer the afib...

I am of course also wondering if the afib will start increasing with all these ectopics. Heart arrhythmias are always mysterious and exciting right!!!
August 01, 2020 02:41PM
Stressfull situations may increase ectopics. Didn't you recently live some events that brought lots of emotion, stress or tiredness?
Stress may increase ectopics, and when we are symptomatic, this can start a vicious cycle : stress bringing ectopics bringing stress...
August 03, 2020 01:41PM
I get ectopics as well. I'm about 8 months post afib ablation and didn't get this many ectopics before the procedure. I find that if I work out in the morning (nothing crazy but get my heart rate going) and really stay hydrated, my ectopics really go down. I've also completely given up diet foods so I no longer ingest Aspartame. I don't know which of these things did the trick, if any of them, but my ectopics are all but gone going on about a month. Good luck finding your formula and remedy..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 01:44PM by keeferbdeefer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login