Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Life continues to throw me curveballs

Posted by Lorraine 
Life continues to throw me curveballs
July 12, 2020 07:30PM
The saga begins for this Canadian gal in August 2019 when I had my index ablation done in Newmarket, Ontario. Long story short, it was not successful. You can read about my post-ablation ordeal here.

Over the next five miserable months, I was in and out of Afib constantly with high HR. A few days before my scheduled Jan 27 redo ablation, I was hit with a viral infection. Started with chest discomfort, then a dry cough and shortness of breath. A visit to my family physician resulted in a referral to ER to rule out any cardiac event. I was also in AF at the time.

Testing indicated the heart was fine. No elevated levels of troponin. A chest x-ray ruled out pneumonia. The conclusion was probably a viral infection. My heart rate was quite elevated during my stay (150-175) and the attending physician was reluctant to send me home without an attempt to bring it down. Metoprolol 25 mg IV was administered three times. It brought it into the range of 112-125 temporarily. Two attempts at an ECV were unsuccessful. I was also given a couple of antibiotics as I had some fever. I was sent home with an Rx for Metoprolol. I don’t do well on this drug as I have low blood pressure to begin with and this drug brings it down even further.

Of course, the scheduled Jan 27 ablation had to be cancelled as I was in pretty bad shape, coughing like crazy, very weak and tired, with chest discomfort and considerable shortness of breath. It didn’t help that I was in AFib for 10+ solid days, the longest ever, at heart rates ranging from 130-175.

I recovered after about 10 days and with a lot of pulling strings and moving mountains, I didn’t have to wait very long to get the ablation rescheduled.

February 7, 2020 – ablation #2. OR report says there was reconnection in the anterior portion of the LSPV and LIPV, the posterior LIPV, and the anterior mitral line. They were re-isolated. All four pulmonary venous antra were re-isolated. Plus, some additional ablation along the anterior wall to eliminate residual potentials.

It was a successful procedure. And for the next four months, I was in blissful NSR… until I wasn’t!

Post-ablation, I was prescribed Metoprolol 12.5 mg b.i.d. and Eliquis 5 mg b.i.d. Following a consult with my EP in early June, I was told I could stop taking the Metoprolol, weaning off over 2 weeks. In doing so, I noticed that my heart rate was starting to inch up into the high 70s and low 80s and then into the 90s. During May it had been mostly in the high 60s and low 70s.

Now comes a couple of medical events that may have triggered the beast (and its cousin) to rear its ugly head.

Two days after stopping Metoprolol, I had laser eye surgery. That night and the next morning, tachy readings of 101 and 109. Over the next four days, HR now in the 90s consistently.

Six days after the laser eye surgery, I had dental implant surgery. Dentist’s protocol was I had to stop the Eliquis for three days. During the procedure my HR was mostly in the 120s with one spike to 144. That evening it was 83, which was surprising given all the stress of the event.

Over the next two days, lots of tachy in the low 100s and some “unclassified” Kardia readings in the 140s. Then on the third day post-surgery, all hell broke loose. And for the past 15 days I have been in either Afib or A/flutter. I need to be cardioverted. The problem is the interruption in Eliquis. My EP says I have to be 3 weeks without any interruption before they will do the ECV. So, I have to wait it out. I’m scheduled for an ECV in Newmarket on July 17.

In the meantime, my EP put me back on Metoprolol and increased the dosage to 25 mg b.i.d. Unfortunately, it has had no effect on bringing my heart rate down. HR remains in the 140s. What it is doing, however, is lowering my normally low blood pressure even lower. Yesterday morning it was 78/62 and remained there all day. I could not function. I spent the entire day in a recliner.

The high HR combined with very low BP is taking its toll on me. I cannot live like this. So, I took it upon myself to cut back the Metoprolol to 12.5 mg b.i.d. beginning with last evening’s dose. And, today, there is already significant improvement in my BP. While the HR is still way up there at 141, BP this morning was 91/60 and a reading a few minutes ago 93/65. This is getting closer to my normal of around 98/65. And today I had at least some energy to move about and do some things. I gotta tell you, though, living with this racing heart is not fun. I have no energy and can barely function. Minimal movement and I’m exhausted.

This is so very disappointing and discouraging. Everything was going so well. Now this. The Afib is bad enough, but now there’s flutter too. Never had flutter before. I don’t know which is worse. sad smiley

I’m hoping that the ECV will be successful, but, even if it is, I know there’s no guarantee that it will last. I’m wondering what to expect going forward. Given that I am experiencing this arrhythmia outside of the 3-month blanking period and for such an extended length of time, and given that flutter is in the picture now which I never had before, I'm thinking that I'm probably going to need another ablation. confused smiley

[Canadian female, 76 years old, paroxysmal AF since 2007, index ablation Aug 2019 unsuccessful, second ablation Feb 2020 unsuccessful]
Re: Life continues to throw me curveballs
July 13, 2020 09:05PM
Have you asked your Doctor for an alternative to Metropolol for rate control? Why take it if it does not lower your HR, and causes low BP? Perhaps another Beta-blocker or a Calcium Channel Blocker might work better?
July 14, 2020 01:13PM
Anti-Fib
Have you asked your Doctor for an alternative to Metropolol for rate control? Why take it if it does not lower your HR, and causes low BP? Perhaps another Beta-blocker or a Calcium Channel Blocker might work better?

Good question. No I haven’t, but I will. In conversation with Shannon a few days ago, he said that a combination of a low dose beta blocker and a high-normal dose of a calcium channel blocker worked well for him at one time under similar circumstances. I believe he said Metoprolol 12.5 mg + Diltiazem 280-320 mg. He suggested I discuss with my EP, which I will do following my ECV on Friday. However, I'm concerned about Diltiazem as I've read that it's used to treat high BP and is not supposed to be used if you have low BP.
July 14, 2020 02:46PM
Lorraine

Good question. No I haven’t, but I will. In conversation with Shannon a few days ago, he said that a combination of a low dose beta blocker and a high-normal dose of a calcium channel blocker worked well for him at one time under similar circumstances. I believe he said Metoprolol 12.5 mg + Diltiazem 280-320 mg. He suggested I discuss with my EP, which I will do following my ECV on Friday. However, I'm concerned about Diltiazem as I've read that it's used to treat high BP and is not supposed to be used if you have low BP.

280-320mg is a fairly high dose of Diltiazem. I used 120-240mg along with Bystolic at 10mg. You could start out at 120mg and see what happens. It is a question for your Dr, how to get bettter Rate Control without lowering BP.
July 14, 2020 03:36PM
The Anti-Fib
280-320mg is a fairly high dose of Diltiazem. I used 120-240mg along with Bystolic at 10mg. You could start out at 120mg and see what happens. It is a question for your Dr, how to get bettter Rate Control without lowering BP.

Thanks, Anti-Fib. Appreciate the information. I'll discuss this option with my EP.
July 21, 2020 04:45PM
Some good news. The ECV last Friday was successful after one attempt. Resting HR when I woke up was 97. Even though that’s on the high side of normal, I was grateful to be in NSR 🙏. Over the weekend, I had a few “unclassified” Kardia readings with HR in the 80s (could that have been flutter??). All readings yesterday and today have been normal and HR has been slowly inching down. Today it’s been in the high 70s.

I was pretty much wiped out over the weekend. Very tired and fatigued. Couldn’t do anything beyond lie in the recliner. Combination of a new beta blocker, the cardioversion, and the long drive I suppose. I live near Ottawa and drove to the Newmarket hospital where I had the ablation done in Feb. I felt more comfortable getting the ECV done there. It’s a 5-hour drive. Would have been more convenient to just go to the ER where I live, but at the Newmarket hospital I was able to book an appointment for the ECV and avoid the ER. I was in and out in about 2.5 hours.

I’m now on a very low dose of Bisoprolol (2.5mg). So far, I think it’s working for heart rate control and it doesn’t appear to be affecting my BP the way Metoprolol did.

Anyways, I’ve got more energy today. Spirits are up. I’m feeling more optimistic. And, fingers crossed 🤞 that the ECV holds and the heart stays quiet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login