Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Supplements recommended for Afib

Posted by LaniB 
Supplements recommended for Afib
July 08, 2020 09:15PM
I've read that in addition to Magnesium, that people who have, or have had AF should be taking Coenzyme Q10, Taurine, and D Ribose. Does anyone know what each one is for? and how much is needed. I've read about people taking megadoses of Taurine, and 3,000+ mg of D Ribose, but it is sweet. Not sure the sweetness is good for us.

I know potassium is important, and that it's really easy to get from food. V8 especially, and coconut water and sweet potatoes and white potatoes.
Re: Supplements recommended for Afib
July 08, 2020 10:04PM
LaniB
I've read that in addition to Magnesium, that people who have, or have had AF should be taking Coenzyme Q10, Taurine, and D Ribose. I know potassium is important, and that it's really easy to get from food. V8 especially, and coconut water and sweet potatoes and white potatoes.

Jackie has done a number of detailed posts on taurine, this is a search on her taurine posts. Same for ribose. I don't take ribose.

Personally, I use 4 g of potassium as citrate (2 tsp) plus a 1 of sodium (1/2 tsp table salt) in a liter or so of water and drink it over the day. My version of timed release. It appears to have been the icing on the cake on my afib remission protocol, which is essentially what I detailed for my afibber son-in-law in Dec 2019 and remains effective for him today. Me too. I've had afib for 16 years and had 2.5 month episode in the first 4 months. My remission program has evolved to what I posted for my son-in-law. I've had two hour episodes in the last two years. The last one was 14 months ago on 28 April, 2019. I've had ups and downs but continue to tweak and learn. For me, the high dose magnesium is the most important supplement. If I don't take it, afib will surely result within a day.

For me, the insulin from the starch hit in the potatoes will cause the potassium in them to be urinated out. Low sodium V8 is just V8 spiked with potassium chloride. I'm much fonder of citrate than chloride, though I've successfully used chloride years ago.
July 08, 2020 10:26PM
Thanks so much George N!!! So much to read and so little time. I want to read all of those links! What form of Mg does your son in law take? I know you rotate different types yourself, right?
July 09, 2020 08:45AM
LaniB
Thanks so much George N!!! So much to read and so little time. I want to read all of those links! What form of Mg does your son in law take? I know you rotate different types yourself, right?

My son-in-law uses di-magnesium malate powder from an equine seller. He puts it in his potassium citrate drink and consumes it over the day. Says it allows him to take more. This product is 20% magnesium by weight. The other day I weighed 1/2 level tsp and it was 2.57 g. So 20%x 2.57 = 514 mg of magnesium.

I've used this product since 2010. When I talked to the seller then, she confirmed it is made by Albion and is from their human supplement side (one time their automated order entry form asked me the name of my horse!).

Yes I tend to take different forms, though rotate may be a strong word. I take the di-mag as above most days plus magnesium citrate powder. I try to get as much citrate from the potassium and magnesium as I can as it converts to bicarbonate in the body. Sometimes I make magnesium acetate by combining magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia) and organic apple cider vinegar in a 2:7 ratio (more here). The acetate also converts to bicarb in the body. Sometimes I consume magnesium chloride that I've dissolved in water (or use it topically). I have made Waller Water, magnesium bicarbonate water, in the past. It works well, but for the mag quantity I require, it is more work than I care to do. For someone who has a low magnesium bowel tolerance, making the fully diluted Waller Water and consuming it over the day could be an excellent option.
July 09, 2020 09:20PM
SO many ways to ingest Magnesium! I just ordered Dr.'s Best Mg Lysinate Glycinate Chelate Traacs powder, because Consumer Lab report showed it had no heavy metal contamination. It tastes so putrid that the only way i can get it down is to mix a scoop in applesauce, swallow it down without chewing then chase it with a huge spoon of applesauce and I only get the taste for a few seconds. I'll try anything once! I joined the lab for a year to look up supplements before I take them now. ReMag did not pass thier test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2020 04:27PM by LaniB.
July 09, 2020 10:56PM
Hey Lani,

Appreciate the offer but suggest you edit your post to PM you.

Having your email in a public post is an invitation to get lots of spam, so please remove it from the post for that reason.
July 16, 2020 07:04AM
George,
why use the potassium citrate and not the gluconate form which was always recommended in this forum?
And why adding the sodium chloride = table salt ? ( blood pressure )

Kind regards,

Ben
July 18, 2020 01:59AM
I’ve tried all of these. Nothing works. Nothing.
July 22, 2020 08:51AM
Hi George, so awesome to hear you and son doing well, keeping in NSR. I'm curious, in the 2, hour episodes you mention - did you use PIP Flec? or the out-breath hold, or...how did you revert? I had 4 episodes last year that I self-reverted from, but recently (last 5 months) have had 2 multi-day episodes that required ECV. Flec PIP hasn't been so useful in the past for me, but I will try it, should I have another episode. Thanks!
RR
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login