Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eliquis Side Affects??

Posted by Pokey 
Eliquis Side Affects??
June 04, 2020 04:56PM
I wanted to ask folks here who are or have been on Eliquis about any side affects you have had. Drugs.com claims Nausea, abdominal pain, dyspepsia and fatigue are common (>10%) side affects of Eliquis. I'm having all of these and the nausea has been the worst, especially at night. Can anyone else relate to these sxs?

My blanking period following my mid-April Aflutter ablation will be over in mid-July. I am hoping I can stop the Eliquis then as I have had no AFlutter or Fib since my ablation. My CHAD score is 1 and my cardiologist is questioning if I need to be on it after that. He's even having me stop my BB which I am tapering now. In the mean time Id be interested in hearing about any side affects some of you have had on Eliquis. thanks
Re: Eliquis Side Affects??
June 04, 2020 06:19PM
None whatsoever. I've been on Eliquis since 2015.

You know, if you're experiencing all those side effects, why not ask your doc to switch you to Xarelto or Pradaxa?
June 04, 2020 06:38PM
Would they be any better?? Don’t most of the same class of drugs pretty much have the same side affects, just different name??
June 04, 2020 06:42PM
I was told by my EP that Eliquis was milder (side effects) than the others. Advantage though with the others is I believe one’s dosage may be once a day vs twice with Eliquis.
June 04, 2020 08:59PM
Pokey
Would they be any better?? Don’t most of the same class of drugs pretty much have the same side affects, just different name??

They're not the same class of drugs and don't have the same side effects. Definitely worth asking your EP about.
June 05, 2020 01:14AM
Started eliquis 15+ days ago. 1st week I talked my self into feeling side effects, fatigue, muscle pain etc. 2nd week I had a one on one conversation with myself that my mind is making a mountain out of a mole hill, ever since I feel right as rain.

May just need to get over the psychological hurdle to feel better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2020 01:16AM by Driver.
June 05, 2020 03:57AM
Never bothered me that much...had an issue...bit of nausea now and then and fatigue, not enough to make stop.If we go looking for side effects we can bring them on. I'm not saying you dont get them, but better than a devasting stroke or the grim reaper!
June 05, 2020 09:07AM
I’m not talking myself into side affects folks. I’ve never handled drugs well. I didn’t take the Eliquis last night on purpose and the nausea was significantly reduced. However I’m also tapering off the BB I’ve been on for 10 years at my cardiologists instruction which may be a factor. Woke up soaked in sweat, restless, couldn’t sleep etc. I’m really not making this crap up in my head
June 05, 2020 10:36AM
Pokey
Woke up soaked in sweat, restless, couldn’t sleep etc.

That sounds like withdrawal from the BB.
June 05, 2020 11:50AM
Carey. I think you are correct on that point. I think I’m going to have to reduce the cuts in my taper even more or reinstate and just be on Bystolic the rest of my life.
June 05, 2020 12:50PM
Pokey - Sometimes, when you have low levels of blood glucose (sugar) which can happen for a variety of reasons, however, my experience with that symptom was stress related. I discovered two separate 'drivers'... one was job-related stress and then low glucose... with symptoms of shakiness and then AF. The family physician I had at the time also suffered from similar symptoms so he helped me make the association: didn't eat enough for breakfast. often occurred with heavy job demands and then a time crunch if my patient was late and then needed extra care so I'd be running late for the next one, (more stress) and the later it was in the morning, the more apt it was to trigger the stress symptoms.... (relating to adrenal function). The remedy was to plan to take a quick break to eat a protein/healthy fat snack mid-morning as a preventive measure.

The other came at night... either at bedtime or a few hours after I had been sleeping... waking up with your symptoms, sweating, restless, couldn't sleep and then often, the AF would begin. Again, caused by not enough 'sustaining food' at mealtime or eating a sugary dessert that helped spike and then drop quickly, the blood glucose...especially troublesome when there is also adrenal fatigue issues. The recommendation was to eat a protein/healthy fat snack an hour before bedtime... and to keep a similar snack on the night stand and to consume if there was 'break-through'... That did help a great deal. The adrenal fatigue issue took a considerable amount of time, specific management and testing but eventually those symptoms went away... all but the Afib... but the difference was, the AFib didn't happen as a result of the low glucose levels but from another deficiency and that one tracked to low intracellular magnesium. Again, a huge effort to reverse that was initially successful.... but then, it wasn't and by that time, I was ready to sign up for ablation #1.

Jackie
June 05, 2020 04:28PM
Side effects of Eliquis since 2015; none except easy bruising and skin does tear easy.
June 08, 2020 11:39PM
On it six months. No issues at all.

/LarryG
June 09, 2020 04:01PM
Thanks for the info Larry
June 10, 2020 06:44AM
The Anti-Coagulants have different interactions with other Drugs.
I agree on the BB withdrawal probability. 10 years is a long time on them.
June 18, 2020 12:01AM
Pokey —Why does the doc want to stop the BB?

/L
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login