Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

25-year Anniversary Afib Onset

Posted by Jackie 
25-year Anniversary Afib Onset
May 31, 2020 12:14PM
In 1995, Memorial Day was on Monday, May 29, and that date commemorates my first Afib event which came about after my husband and I had golfed in an 18-hole couples club event followed by cocktails and picnic dinner. In hindsight, I’ve always thought the most significant contributing factors… a very hot day and undoubtedly not nearly enough hydration during the 4.5 hr round, followed by alcohol and undoubtedly, salty food helped push me into my first event which arrived around 10 pm that evening.

Not sure about what to do, I called the local ER , described my symptoms and asked if I should come in and was told that it was probably “just a heart arrhythmia” that would go away relatively quickly and that I’d be more comfortable waiting it out at home… which I did and that was the beginning of my AF journey which eventually led to my finding this Afibber’s forum where I began learning about potential causes and remedies as well as learning about electrolyte imbalances as members talked about that and other methods to control and often, eliminate their Afib. That’s how my 25-year journey began. From the ’95 onset to my first ablation 8 years later with Dr. Natale, here in Cleveland, OH, I tried many suggestions as well as meds.

During that time, I did find a cardiologist in the Electrophysiology Dept at the Cleveland Clinic who worked in concert with the EPs. I also had seen an announcement about an EP at the clinic (Andrea Natale) and his ablation approach for treating Afib and I decided that he would be the one I’d see if I was unable to reverse the trend.

The most important and (for me) the most successful intervention came about as a result of the Intracellular Diagnostic’s ExaText…. measuring only intracellular electrolytes and I was found to be very low in magnesium. After almost 7 years of tinkering with various treatment plans and going from relatively limited recurring events to very regular repeats, I consulted with Dr. Natale and was scheduled for ablation in six months. I decided that I’d do all I could to eliminate the Afib in the interim and I did manage to reduce the daily events to zero… via a major focus on magnesium, watching potassium/sodium ratios and strictly reducing calcium. This was so successful, I thought about cancelling the ablation, but then ‘fate’ intervened. A significant change was effect my insurance and coverage was sketchy, at best, so I kept my November 2003 date.

That procedure lasted 11 years and then I began to experience lengthy bouts of A-flutter and nothing I did seemed to make a difference preventing or shortening the event. I gave in to ECV multiple times when I was really desperate after very long events, some over 24 hours. The ECV process was a big challenge – ie getting worked in, travel, etc…. until I connected with one of Dr. Natale’s former EP colleagues from the Clinic who had left the CCF (Robert Schweikert, MD EP) and worked at a hospital system in a nearby city (Akron, OH). I was able to call and get in quickly and the drive was just a bit over an hour with less traffic than to CCF main campus.

We knew it was just a matter of time before “ablation #2” needed to be scheduled and in August, 2014, I flew to Austin, TX and Dr. Natale’s procedure included isolating the Left Atrial Appendage. Since my son lives in the Austin area, we stayed close to St. David’s for a week and then he flew back to Cleveland with me just to be sure I was okay. Well, as fate would have it, I went into flutter in the Nashville airport as we waited for our connecting flight…. so I had another ECV a day after I arrived back home. As it turned out, I had several more such events and that prompted ablation #3 seven months later in 2015. That time, I flew home alone and without incident. And I am happy to report Natale #3 has continued to work well.

I remain very aware of the importance of keeping the essential electrolytes in balance and proper ratios. I use targeted nutritional supplements for optimizing mitochondrial function as relates to cardiac function and as directed by the ‘mito experts’ in the field of Functional Medicine courtesy of my Board- Certified Family Practice MD who has been with me for most of this journey.

The good news is that the lifestyle and nutritional protocols dictated by the ExaTest and Genova Diagnostics specialized testing has helped keep me healthy and functional overall. My heart remains calm and I have not had the flu since I retired in 1996 and only two colds that were minor. I take no Rx meds other than the half-dose of Eliquis (because of my age) and other than the surprise recent gall bladder surgery, have no health issues.

When I first found the Afibber’s forum, I was very encouraged by so many people who had managed their Afib without the need for ablation and I had hoped I could join those ranks. Yet, I am most grateful that I was able to be treated by Dr. Natale.

Today, with all of the major ablation technique improvements, it’s extremely reassuring to know that a safe and successful ablations are the norm… provided they are done by those who have the advanced training, experience and knowledge… as Shannon has emphasized in his reports on the topic. Lifestyle changes are important not only for the AF aspect but as preventive for other contributing risk factors…as is emphasized by the overall focus that Hans Larsen set out to offer here over 25 years ago.

I certainly am most grateful to have had the benefit and support of our members all these years. I’m still communicating with many of the original members and newer ones as well from all around the world. It’s amazing how the time flies, yet we all are bound by this common AF thread.

My very best wishes to all for good health and peaceful hearts in NSR,
Jackie

L

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2020 02:04PM by Jackie.
Re: 25-year Anniversary Afib Onset
May 31, 2020 03:21PM
Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the update and for your continuing contributions to the forum! Glad you are continuing to do well. If my remembering is correct, you just turned 84. I'm sure all of your efforts are contributing to a long health span. We met virtually 16 years ago - I was 49 and you 68. I've appreciated your wisdom for all these years.

Continued NSR & good health to you!

George
May 31, 2020 03:33PM
I'm convinced - getting an ExaTest. Thanks Jackie.
May 31, 2020 07:00PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
I'm convinced - getting an ExaTest. Thanks Jackie.

I got my one and only ExaTest in Sept 2004, during my 2.5 month episode. I learned my intra-cellular Mg was out of range low and Ca was high. I really didn't know much about the results, except Mg was low. This was one of the elements that pushed me to supplement Mg. I don't know where the results are now and though I posted them here, those posts got lost. I haven't repeated because of the hassle of getting a integrative doc to prescribe one - that piece was expensive, as was the test and at the time I had very high deductible insurance. It was worth it, but I never was motivated to repeat.
June 01, 2020 12:22AM
Great history, Jackie. A shining example of what can be accomplished with a combination of expert ablation and well-reasoned self-treatment.
June 01, 2020 08:56AM
To your good health Jackie.
June 01, 2020 02:01PM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

George - Yes... I remember our initial conversations very well. I'm so very pleased that you have had such long-lasting success with your highly disciplined approach.

Yes. Your math is correct. I am 84... I can hardly believe that number!!! winking smiley

History:
Age 59 Onset Afib - 1995
Age 67 First ablation - November 2003 - Andrea Natale, EP - Cleveland Clinic (Ohio)
Age 78 Second Ablation and LAA Isolation - August 2014 Natale - Texas
Age 79 Third Ablation April 2015 Natale - Texas

Wishing you all, NSR!

Jackie
June 02, 2020 11:13AM
What a milestone Jackie!!

You know well how much I appreciate our close friendship and all of your such generous contributions and mentorship to legions of us former and current Afibbers over the last almost two decades. And you have certainly been the official honorary 'Den-mother' of Afibbers.org these many years!

Your advocacy for this wonderful resource has been so welcomed by so many of us Jackie, as have the continued contributions of so many others, who in turn were all so fortunate to have found this little oasis in the online AFIB universe that Hans and Judi originally conceived of, and created, way back in1999!

And many thanks for sharing this beautiful milestone with us all Jackie, and we all continue to look forward to your future pearls of inspiration.

Best wishes, Dear Jackie

Shannon
June 02, 2020 01:21PM
Posts and threads like this we really need the "thumbs up" and "like" feature.
June 03, 2020 02:18PM
Dear Shannon:

Thank you so much for your very kind message. It is a milestone, for sure. Hans and Judi certainly provided a most welcome and important resource that gave and continues to give important information as well as comfort and reassurance to all who join. A big Thank you TO YOU, Shannon, for your endeavor to ensure that Afibbers.org continues with the latest info available. You have gone far ‘above and beyond the call’ and I look forward to the launch of the forum’s ‘new look.’ I so appreciate all that you do for us.

(When you mention ‘Den mother,’ I think back to the members who gave me that designation and the fun we had when some from NY, CT, PA, IL, FL, SC would come to Cleveland for their Natale ablation and I would arrange to meet them and celebrate their ‘new lease on life’ before they returned home. Then, in 2003, it became ‘my turn’. )

Wishing you many years of health and happiness,

Jackie
June 04, 2020 08:46AM
Great post from a great lady and a shining star here on this forum for the last 20 years I've been here. Always patient and helpful and willing to provide sound advice both on and off-forum (when more personal).
I've always agreed that the upside of AF is that it likely indirectly from an overall POV actually extends your lifespan (and particularly 'health-span' as George N says) by way of compelling one to seriously tackle lifestyle issues that would otherwise have manifested as serious health issues later in life.
Many happy returns at 84 years young and still plenty to go!
Mike x
(PS - a big thanks to Shannon and Carey for all the great work they do both here on this forum and behind the scenes too.)
(PPS - a massive thank you to Hans too - hoping he's still keeping the AF and prostate issues at bay.)
June 05, 2020 04:19AM
What a great achievement Jackie and a shining example for those newly afflicted and going through the anxieties that the diagnosis brings.
I'm coming onto 20 years so not far behind you (in age as well smiling bouncing smiley)

I've not had an ablation which I regret, due to my former cardiologist continually advising me it wasn't going to help, but I am considering one this year as both my new Cardiologist and my EP are happy to proceed.

Keep on keeping on. All the best.
June 05, 2020 05:18PM
Jackie,
I am very pleased to see you are in good health after the suffering you went through in the last years.
I wish you long life in happiness and continuous NSR.

Ben
June 09, 2020 07:51AM
Jackie,
Thank you for sharing. Best of health to you.

Tibbar
June 28, 2020 03:01PM
Jackie, thank you so much for this post, and thanks to so many wonderful people here who have shared info and advice with me (even though you've been stellar with info and explanations, I'm still not "all that" with medical smarts regarding a-fib), and also shout outs to Shannon, Carey, and Hans.
SueChef
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login