Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ibuprofen contraindication

Posted by Que 
Que
Ibuprofen contraindication
May 25, 2020 10:11PM
Hi Everyone,

I can't recall if there is a contraindication against ibuprofen for afib and afib-ablated patients. I recall such but thought I would confirm. Thank you
Re: Ibuprofen contraindication
May 26, 2020 12:16AM
NSAIDs are no problem with AF; it's anticoagulants they're not so okay with. NSAIDs carry a bleed risk, so adding them to an anticoagulant increases the overall risk. The advice I've always gotten and which I believe is the formal guideline is that NSAIDs are okay for short-term use if you're on an anticoagulant, but not long-term. In other words, days or maybe a week or so are okay, but no longer.
Que
May 26, 2020 12:24AM
I thought NSAIDs are a cause of Afib?
May 26, 2020 12:38AM
Said who?
Que
May 26, 2020 02:18AM
Dr. Bruno Stricker

[www.webmd.com]
Que
May 26, 2020 02:30AM
AHA

Studies estimate that a person’s relative risk of heart attack and stroke increases 10 percent to 50 percent when they regularly take an NSAID, depending on the particular drug and the dose being used, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Side effects affecting the kidneys, heart or the stomach also can occur when NSAIDs are taken at too high a dose, for too long, or in combination with another NSAID.

[newsarchive.heart.org]
Que
May 26, 2020 02:30AM
From Harvard

[www.health.harvard.edu]-

How NSAIDs harm the heart
NSAIDs pose a risk to the cardiovascular system for two main reasons. First, they change levels of substances in the blood that make clots more likely. A blood clot can block a narrowed artery in the heart, triggering a heart attack. Second, NSAIDs change blood flow in the kidneys, causing the body to retain more salt and water, explains Dr. Antman. That causes blood pressure to rise, which also boosts the risk of a stroke. High blood pressure also makes people more prone to atrial fibrillation—a rapid, quivering motion of the heart's upper chambers.

In fact, a recent study found a higher risk of atrial fibrillation in people who had taken NSAIDs during the past 15 to 30 days compared with people who had never taken NSAIDs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2020 02:32AM by Que.
Que
May 26, 2020 02:39AM
I guess there's aspirin. I need a longer-term course of an anti-inflammatory for a muscular-skeletal issue. I've been on curcumin but that doesn't seem to be working. I have yet to try CBD.
May 26, 2020 03:36AM
Great to hear from you Que! It has been a while...
Hope all is well with you these days, and please drop me a PM with your updated cell and email!

Take care

Cheers!
Shannon
May 26, 2020 06:27AM
I take NSAIDs once or twice a year for the onset of a cold to get past the excruciating painful sore throat the first night or so. For any other pain or headaches, no thanks.
May 26, 2020 08:32AM
I have been saying for years that NSAIDs can help trigger AFIB upon withdrawal from using them. Studies have shown electrolyte shifts in the Atria both when you start and stop taking NSAIDs. These shifts probably vary upon the type of NSAID also. There are also shifts in BP upon cessation of these Drugs. How much of a risk, I don't know, maybe not a big one in the larger scheme of things. I am currently taking Ibuprofen and will taper off of it over 2 weeks when I stop taking it.

From the WebMD article:[www.webmd.com]

"People who were current, chronic users of NSAIDs had a 76 percent higher risk of atrial fibrillation than those who had never used them. The risk remained even after taking into account other risk factors, such as age, sex and heart problems, Stricker's group found.

For people who used NSAIDs within the previous month, the risk for atrial fibrillation rose to 84 percent, the study authors added."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2020 08:37AM by The Anti-Fib.
May 26, 2020 10:27AM
People who are taking NSAIDs, particularly those using them chronically, obviously have a significant source of inflammation. So finding a correlation between NSAID use and AF isn't surprising. But as always, correlation doesn't equal causation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login