Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CHAD score of 1 and blood thinner v aspirin

Posted by Pokey 
CHAD score of 1 and blood thinner v aspirin
May 16, 2020 03:09PM
I was diagnosed with AFlutter back in March and was put on Eliquis 5mg. I had an ablation for the flutter April 17 and at the time EP was able to induce AFib but did not do a left sided ablation. I’ve not been in Flutter or fib since being in the hospital in March nor after the ablation. I’m pretty sure it’s the Eliquis causing fairly persistent nausea. My CHAD score is 1. Wondering why I can’t take aspirin instead of Eliquis as I understand that’s a common option for one with a CHAD score of 1? Certainly cheaper and my impression is it’s less risk for a bleed??
Re: CHAD score of 1 and blood thinner v aspirin
May 16, 2020 03:51PM
No, aspirin has a higher bleed risk. It's also much less effective at preventing clots. Until you're through the blanking period, you need to remain on an anticoagulant. If you think the Eliquis is responsible for the nausea, ask your doctor to switch you to Xarelto or Pradaxa.
May 18, 2020 01:02AM
Carey

If covid and china trade war get really bad and the drugs or raw materials to make eliquis et al aren't available - what could someone do? Just drink brandy and take aspirin? At any one time I only have about 90 days of drugs on hand.
May 18, 2020 02:47PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
Carey

If covid and china trade war get really bad and the drugs or raw materials to make eliquis et al aren't available - what could someone do? Just drink brandy and take aspirin? At any one time I only have about 90 days of drugs on hand.

Before I started Eliquis (before I turning 65 and tacked another number on my CHAD score), I took this, under the advise of my Harvard grad GP, as substitute for aspirin. You should investigate the benefits of earthworms. It’s a capsule with no after taste. Obviously you should get permission from your doctor first for the correct dosage. I had no side effects using it, unlike aspirin which was not gut friendly. My doctor told me aspirin is prescribed by doctors but he prefers the earthworms. While being on it, I was at the produce department picking potatoes when a renegade potato rolled down the potato pyramid and hit my hand and wrist. It resulted in a nasty bruise...so I know it thinned my blood from the rolling action of a simple potato. With Eliquis I don’t bruise. I believe Eliquis is obviously a better gold standard option and proven to work in prevention of strokes for AF patients ...but if the scenario of a China war, etc occurs or for any reason you can’t get Eliquis—look further:

[i.postimg.cc]

It’s very expensive. I paid something like $90 a bottle.
May 18, 2020 02:54PM
I found Amazon sells it for $54 instead of other Online supplier listing $99 and up.
May 18, 2020 02:56PM
I have a hard time seeing all the NOACs becoming unavailable. Eliquis is manufactured in Puerto Rico (a US territory), Xarelto in Puerto Rico and Germany, Pradaxa in Germany, and I think Savaysa is manufactured in Japan (not 100% sure but the company is Japanese). If all those drugs became unavailable, the logical fallback would be warfarin. It's cheap, generic, and easily manufactured by almost any pharmaceutical company.
May 18, 2020 05:53PM
We also get drugs from India and Ireland.
May 18, 2020 08:15PM
We prefer not to get drugs from India or Philippines (or any hot climate) due to lax temperature storage practices.
May 18, 2020 08:58PM
So if we make drugs in CA. or Florida you wouldn't take them. Actually, I prefer not to take drugs, I only take my thyroid drug and Zeralto, I will try to get off Zeralto eventually.
May 18, 2020 10:31PM
Elizabeth
So if we make drugs in CA. or Florida you wouldn't take them. Actually, I prefer not to take drugs, I only take my thyroid drug and Zeralto, I will try to get off Zeralto eventually.

Usa has fda guidelines. I’m saying other countries gets cited for quality temperature control issues. Google recalls India temperature. I’ll send you a pm of the link
May 18, 2020 10:40PM
This below link mentions how ingredients in meds can become toxic with improper storage at higher temperatures. This is just an example on how temperature storage is important. It doesn’t mention India. My husband is a retired pharmacist and during his career received memos on drug recalls. Countries like India etc were more often mentioned. That is why I won’t buy drugs from certain countries. I once called a private pharmacy to get a blood pressure med. my cvs warehouse only offered from India and I was willing to pay $15 cash price for the water pill. I asked the pharmacist what country was the drug made? That was all I said. He replied “it’s not from India”. Why would he say that? Because like my husband he got a lot of recalls during his career.

[www.fda.gov]
May 18, 2020 10:42PM
May 18, 2020 11:41PM
Susan:
Its all about money---we could make the drugs in this country. Yet the FTC goes after my Holistic doctor because he is using Vit. C, D, Iodine etc and has helped his patients with the symptoms of this virus. He has had videos where the patient has spoken about their experience with his protocol. He is being censored for that, he has not said it is a cure, we are being stopped from reading and learning, I should be able to decide whether I want this protocol or not. I sure as heck don't want these drugs coming from China, I don't know what is in them, they could be killing us.

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 11:44PM by Elizabeth.
May 19, 2020 12:17AM
It’s crazy one can now buy n95 masks from China. My son got them for $5 each with Chinese writing. I too won’t buy meds from China either. However with counterfeiting meds you don’t really know. It’s a problem.
May 19, 2020 01:20AM
Every N95 mask you buy from any source is an N95 mask medical providers won't have available. There is no reason for the average person to be wearing an N95 mask.
May 19, 2020 02:20AM
www.Filti.com

Easily available manufacturers of n95 filter fabric. I’m sewing masks from fabric I bought.

Usa maybe is asking citizens to save the masks for medical staff only because they are not available for us. My son lives overseas and they are so easily available to get —all they have to do is get them by the produce section. In fact citizens are not asked to wear 14.5% efficiency homemade masks like us because here masks are not available

[filti.com]

Read above to see how low the efficiency of different homemade fabric masks are. You actually think you are protected?

I also bought this on eBay to wear over my mask when I see my oncologist in June and if my gallbladder acts up worst than the current pain. Why can’t hospitals get shields if ensures can?:

[www.ebay.com]
May 19, 2020 02:22AM
Typo sorry
Ebayers not ensures
May 19, 2020 03:09AM
Carey
There is no reason for the average person to be wearing an N95 mask.

I just put one on yesterday.

I was using a belt sander on rough cut lumber for a new picnic table I’m building. winking smiley
May 19, 2020 04:01AM
wolfpack

I was using a belt sander on rough cut lumber for a new picnic table I’m building. winking smiley

A dust mask would have been perfectly adequate. I hope that N95 was something you had lying around in your workshop since long before covid was an issue. It's total overkill for cutting lumber.
May 19, 2020 01:56PM
susan.d
Read above to see how low the efficiency of different homemade fabric masks are. You actually think you are protected?

The point of public mask wearing is to protect others from an infected (potentially asymptomatic) person (which could be me). Not to protect the wearer from aerosols. The simple masks will reduce droplet spread, however require high compliance for efficacy in a population. See this review.

For a vulnerable person worried about their own protection, higher levels of PPE make sense.
May 19, 2020 03:01PM
George- I somewhat agree if only droplets are involved, a 2% efficiency homemade mask could possibly handle the larger droplets. The scientists say environmental contamination — aerosols from breathing — are finer and even without coughing can travel more than the recommending 6 feet social distancing (upwards to 27 feet) rendering a homemade mask less efficient.

I think all of this is guesswork if one can be protected by others wearing a homemade mask at a 6 feet distance. I doubt if further than 6 feet could be enforced. It’s like a happy medium distance to talk to others without raising one voices and to ensure compliance for citizens to wear masks. I think the distance is an arbitrary distance since nobody knows for sure.

For example I’ve been cooped in 64 days and rely on friends to shop for us. Yesterday a friend who makes monthly runs to the market for us dropped off perishable proteins (chicken and salmon). I waited until I didn’t see him before opening the door —only to have him rush right up to me-2 to 3 feet away to chat. So at that distance I doubt if a homemade mask would had worked protecting himself from me. He was not wearing a mask so that is a moot point. I was wearing a used n95 I had lying around in my garage. Hopefully being vulnerable I will be protected because I had previously gifted him with a n95 mask just for shopping that I bought in February on eBay at a gouging price that he wears with gloves at markets. His wife has triple negative cancer and I wanted her protected from her husband who is risking everything by shopping for me.

Technically I don’t need a mask because I am home but there are peer articles stating aerosols can linger in the air up to 3 hours. I put on a mask to gather food after Amazon/Whole Foods delivers packages on my porch by drivers who do not wear masks.
May 19, 2020 07:03PM
susan.d
For example I’ve been cooped in 64 days and rely on friends to shop for us
More and more grocery stores are starting to offer curbside delivery, and I have found that this works quite well. You pay for your groceries online, you park in a designated space and call a number to let them know you have arrived, you open your trunk, and they load them in. Then you drive away without ever being close to a store employee.
May 19, 2020 07:49PM
Daisy

For example I’ve been cooped in 64 days and rely on friends to shop for us
More and more grocery stores are starting to offer curbside delivery, and I have found that this works quite well. You pay for your groceries online, you park in a designated space and call a number to let them know you have arrived, you open your trunk, and they load them in. Then you drive away without ever being close to a store employee.

I would do it if I had a separate trunk. I don’t feel comfortable having someone open my hatch and lean his body into my car to load groceries. I would be sharing possible aerosols in the air. He/she would be less than 6’ from me. Plan B would be to tent my interior cargo area with clear plastic and masking tape and make a bubble.
May 19, 2020 10:34PM
Carey

A dust mask would have been perfectly adequate. I hope that N95 was something you had lying around in your workshop since long before covid was an issue. It's total overkill for cutting lumber.

It’s actually a P95 dual breather that I bought 12 years ago for painting. Way past it’s expiration date by now. And not a thing I’d ever wear in public because it has the positive pressure relief valve which totally defeats the purpose of protecting others. My breath goes out unfiltered. Probably good to point out to folks, though. If your mask has that little “disc thing” in the middle of it, don’t bother wearing it. You’re not protecting anybody. Just use a piece of cloth instead.
May 20, 2020 12:02AM
susan.d
I would do it if I had a separate trunk. I don’t feel comfortable having someone open my hatch and lean his body into my car to load groceries. I would be sharing possible aerosols in the air. He/she would be less than 6’ from me. Plan B would be to tent my interior cargo area with clear plastic and masking tape and make a bubble.
I have an SUV. I open the back and then stand at a comfortable distance while they load the car. After they leave I get back into the car. No contact. I also have a security cover that pulls out and clips over the cargo area. I think that most SUVs have these.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 12:05AM by Daisy.
May 20, 2020 01:48AM
Daisy

I would do it if I had a separate trunk. I don’t feel comfortable having someone open my hatch and lean his body into my car to load groceries. I would be sharing possible aerosols in the air. He/she would be less than 6’ from me. Plan B would be to tent my interior cargo area with clear plastic and masking tape and make a bubble.I have an SUV. I open the back and then stand at a comfortable distance while they load the car. After they leave I get back into the car. No contact. I also have a security cover that pulls out and clips over the cargo area. I think that most SUVs have these.

The point is I don’t want to breath second hand exhausted air when they reach into the back of my cargo area to place my bags. I drive away and the air lingers for 3 hours says scientists. It’s a small car- would you take an elevator? You are sharing air. Hopefully coronavirus free.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login