Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this K2 combo ok to take while on blood thinner

Posted by Madeline 
Is this K2 combo ok to take while on blood thinner
April 24, 2020 08:25PM
I have been recommended to take MegaQuinone K2-7 & I am on Xarelto 20 mg with dinner. I am post one ablation last August for parox afib & I have had 2 episodes of atrial flutter late after the blanking period and am told I now need a touchup ablation (when I can get this I don't know now bec of COVID-19!)

Here are the ingredients listed on back:
Vit K2 as menaquinone-7, 320 mg
Vit K1 (as phylloquinone), 200 mcg
Magnesium amino acid chelate 400 mg
Zinc (as zinc bisglycinate) 30 mg

My concern of course is the K1 while on a blood thinner.

Also is that magnesium (even tho it says amino acid) like a regular magnesium - I would need to know this bec I already take about 400-500 range of varying magnesium forms & perhaps I would need to cut back on them if I take this.

Thanks.
Re: Is this K2 combo ok to take while on blood thinner
April 24, 2020 08:51PM
Vitamin K is irrelevant to NOACs like Xarelto so no problem with that, but 400 mg of magnesium on top of the 400-500 you're already taking is probably going to put you in the bathroom all day. I would stop the other magnesium you're taking if you decide to take this.
April 24, 2020 09:33PM
Thanks Carey, but why is that? Isn't K1 a clotter & even though it may be a low amount, why is it that with a NOAC like Xarelto it is different - it is a blood thinner?
April 24, 2020 11:15PM
Madeline
Thanks Carey, but why is that? Isn't K1 a clotter & even though it may be a low amount, why is it that with a NOAC like Xarelto it is different - it is a blood thinner?

The mechanism of action for Xarelto (and other NOAC's) is different than Warfarin. Warfarin's method of action is to destroy K1. Hence K intake does not matter.
April 25, 2020 12:24AM
What George said.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login