Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice for Wife and Palpitations

Posted by smackman 
Advice for Wife and Palpitations
April 22, 2020 07:19PM
My wife started having Heart Palpitations. Approximately 10 a minute. The only thing she has done different Is take high doses of Vitamin D3; 50,000 uid once a week for 12 weeks. Her D3 was 18 at the beginning. I think 30 is the low acceptable number for a woman
I have read we’re excessive high amounts of Vitamin D3 can cause Heart Palpitations. She took her last dosage of This much D3 last Friday. The palpitations were found upon checking our blood pressure which we do at least one time a week. The broken heart symbol came up every time and we checked it 4x that day which is not the usual case.
Can anyone elaborate on this? To the best of our knowledge it is not AFIB. It does not feel like AFIB. IT feels like PVCs or PACs. I get the two mixed up. My wife has dealt with my Heart Arrhythmias so many times in the last 8 years. She said her pulse feels like skips.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We are trying hard to get into a Cardiologist but that is hard in Louisiana right now.
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2020 07:27PM by smackman.
Re: Advice for Wife and Palpitations
April 22, 2020 07:55PM
Smack -

I have narrowed down D as a suspect

Others too

This thread - [www.afibbers.org]

I'm not taking D any longer (would like to because of Covid19) but would prefer to be rid of the afib.
April 22, 2020 08:49PM
Since she's taken her last dose, I'd say just wait and see if they go away. If they don't, buy a Kardia or Apple Watch and find out what it is. There's no way to distinguish between PACs and PVCs from how they feel.

And the thing is, if you do find out which they are, it's not going to have any clinical significance either way. No one's going to treat her for PACs or PVCs until they exceed about 20,000 per day. If they're PACs and they eventually progress to sustained AF, well, you know how it goes from there.
April 22, 2020 08:53PM
My first wife started getting PVC runs years ago. We added supplemental magnesium. They went away almost immediately. She continues to take it today and the PVC's have not returned.
April 22, 2020 10:31PM
Wife has Apple Watch. It does not show that it’s AFIB. She also takes approximately 400 mg of Magnesium Glycinate a day. That is all she can tolerate. Also she has the Apple Watch Heart notification to look for AFIB and nothing has ever showed AFIB.
She is already close to 20000 a day. Earlier, it was every 3 beats.

As always, I love input from this Forum. We do believe the strong amounts of D3 triggered this. If we would have known this we would have never taken that large amount. I pray it goes away. She takes 2 baby aspirins a day.

What about 25 mg of Metoprolol ER a day? I have done extra ones.
Th as no’s for all the input
April 22, 2020 11:44PM
I wouldn’t take metoprolol for simple ectopic beats. Beta blockers are for preventing heart failure in the context of persistent tachycardia from either a-fib or flutter. I’d worry that taking them otherwise would just lead to fatigue or a general feeling of sluggishness.
April 23, 2020 12:20AM
Agree with wolfpack there's no reason to take metoprolol.
April 23, 2020 01:25AM
That’s so interesting, I’m seeing this occurring more and more lately. Including myself who never had afib I’m aware of at least five other non affibers who had the same issue as a result of overdosing on vitamin D3 which was prescribed by their doctors. The interesting thing is that it stays in your system for around 2 weeks at least so palpitations will mostly be less and less everyday. I would try minimizing all calcium foods and raising the magnesium intake to bowel tolerance.
April 23, 2020 09:19AM
As a result of Covid - there are a lot of people just taking as much vitamin D as they can get a hold of. If 1 is good, then 2 or 3 is better.

It's nuts.

I am on the track now where I think 'nature knows best' - I have these SNPs that inhibit D levels. Maybe my DNA was trying to protect me from striving for "optimum" levels that so many advocate for.

My goal is to take as few supplements and prescriptions as possible.
April 23, 2020 11:05AM
My Question is, Will these palpitations pass with time or has this excessive intake of D3 prescribed by her gynecologist after a yearly physical caused my wife permanent palpitations?
Should she stay out of the sun? She started this medication in early Jan. What else can she do besides increasing magnesium intake ?
Once again Thanks a million for all the help. It has her Anxiety raised some and generally my wife is very hard to shakeup.
April 23, 2020 11:15AM
I was attempting to increase vit D and lower calcium in Jan, February. For about 3weeks I had the most afibb I've had in 8+years nightly episodes. Stopped vit d supplements in about week or so nightly afibb is gone. Blood work in 1st of March showed average calcium and higher end of vit d, never again with vit d supp.
April 23, 2020 01:19PM
Hi Smackman... Is she also taking the K2 MK7 to help manage the circulating serum calcium that is associated with increased Vit. D intake? That's essential and many (physicians included) who recommend increasing Vit D when levels are low fail to recommend the MK7.

Jackie
April 23, 2020 01:28PM
Jackie
Hi Smackman... Is she also taking the K2 MK7 to help manage the circulating serum calcium that is associated with increased Vit. D intake? That's essential and many (physicians included) who recommend increasing Vit D when levels are low fail to recommend the MK7.

Jackie
No; All she was prescribed was 50000 II D3 once a week for 12 weeks. IMO most layman would not know what that is me included.
April 24, 2020 04:19PM
Smackman - Couple of considerations: Be sure that your wife does not take calcium supplements or consume a diet high in calcium-containing foods.

Another point is that taking large doses of vitamin D can result in depletion of magnesium. As I’m sure you are well aware, when we are low in magnesium, it can contribute to AF and/or at the very least, lots of missed beats. In the presence of low magnesium, then calcium will dominate … (magnesium/relaxing; calcium/excitatory) to cells.

Vitamin K2 in the form of Menaquinone 7 ( MK7)… helps direct circulating serum calcium into bones (appropriate)…and not into arteries… and thereby lessens the competition between the Mg and the Ca. However, if the person is low in magnesium to start with, then the addition of fairly high doses of D can promote arrhythmia because of the already low Mg. Long ago, there were posts on the effect of calcium shortening the refractory period or the time between beats and promoting the onset of AF…not sure if they are still available. There are many studies and also reports/papers on why the K2 MK7 is extremely beneficial to health based on research studies initiated in The Netherlands. If you do a search here in our site, there are numerous posts on the topic as well.

There is a 2019 study indicating that: Mg is essential in the metabolism of vitamin D, and taking large doses of vitamin D can induce severe depletion of Mg.

Note in that study, they are incorrect when they observe there is no test to measure IC Mg… because ExaTest by IntraCellular Diagnostics has been doing intracellular testing for a long time. It’s just that it’s not a routine lab and probably not covered by insurance.

Jackie

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[exatest.com]
[www.drpasswater.com]

Also, in his book, Death by Calcium, Board Certified Cardiologist Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD, outlines the benefits of the various forms of Vitamin K.
April 28, 2020 02:47PM
Adequate sleep, lots of good water, magnesium Glycinate, and Malate to bowel tolerance. Meditation also helps to keep stress levels down.

I take 1,000 mg of Taurine 2 x’s a day along with magnesium and a long list of other supplements.

I also drink LS V-8 in the a.m. and p.m....loaded with potassium.

I have always suspected hormones might play a role with ectopics, especially with women.
May 04, 2020 04:03PM
The only supplements we are currently taking is Magnesium. Wife is doing really good and she has a appointment with a Cardiologist this week.
We do not feel that taking a Mountain of supplements is necessary. So many are taking extreme doses of supplements like Vitamin D3 hoping it helps against Covid 19. That’s our decision for now unless told different by a reputable Physician.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login