Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arrhythmias and allergies.

Posted by JDfiB 
Arrhythmias and allergies.
April 17, 2020 04:55PM
A while ago I posted of situation I experience when I have an arrhythmic heart beat. There was not a lot of response so I didn’t pursue it any further but now that I am more experienced in all this “fun” maybe I can better describe it. It seems whenever I have a moment of an odd heart beat it will soon be followed by what feels like an allergic reaction similar to a sinus allergy. My sinuses seem to fill up and sometimes I will feel like sneezing. I’ve asked my doctor if it is somehow related to afib or other arrhythmias and the answer I get is ” if you feel it, it must be”. I retired last May and went from an afib event once every 3 weeks to now once every 3 months. Because of the lessening of the burden this condition now appears even more noticeable. Perhaps there is no connection and maybe I am dealing with something totally unrelated. If is I will move on but if anyone has a similar reaction I would like to know. Thanks for all your brains here, you are an amazing help!
Re: Arrhythmias and allergies.
April 17, 2020 07:05PM
Any chance you have some mild heart failure? Have you had a recent cardiac workup, like a stress test and/or echocardiogram? One of the symptoms of fluid overload, which is often a consequence of heart failure, is a runny nose/stuffy sinuses.

And what are these other arrhythmias you speak of?
April 17, 2020 07:19PM
Thanks for the response Carey. The stress test and echocardiogram are all good. No signs of heart failure. I'm speaking of a moment maybe even a second or two when it feels like your heart goes fast or it feels like it could go into afib. Or even when it feels like it skips a beat. Any abnormal beats like that.
April 17, 2020 08:39PM
Well, the stuffy nose thing may just be an individual quirk. It's not something I've ever heard before from people with AF. The arrhythmia you describe sounds like it's probably PACs, which can definitely feel like AF is about to begin because they often do trigger it. But if your burden has decreased, then kudos for you! We rarely hear that around here unless someone's had an ablation or changed meds or something.
April 18, 2020 12:09PM
I do feel blessed ,knock on wood. I guess I'll have to just accept it as a quirk as I've searched and searched for some connection and found nothing. I'm sure there are way worse individual quirks involved in this. Maybe I'll come across somebody at some time that shares this.
Also thanks for identifying it as PACs. I've always thought that and have had them long before afib was involved.
April 22, 2020 02:13AM
I have an on and off daily running drippy nose since my PVCs started. My echo was normal. It’s frustrating because I am conserving Kleenex which is a challenge to buy online.
April 24, 2020 10:48AM
If it helps at all, I frequently have what feels like a short episode of AFib if I have congestion going down to my chest.

I always thought it was just a similar feeling and not actually Afib. Never gave it any real thought.
April 24, 2020 12:08PM
susan .d jpizzo127 thanks for your input. This leads to the next question as to what came first. Is the Afib, PACs, PVCs the triggered result of the congestion/allergy type symptoms or are the allergy symptoms the result of the Afib, PACs, PVCs?. What cam first, the chicken or the egg?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login