Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Possible triggers

Posted by Sunshine13 
Possible triggers
March 13, 2020 08:43PM
Hi Everyone , 10 days ago I had an asthma exacerbation and bronchitis. I was given prednisone and a z pack . And I take metopropolol succinate and valtrex as needed. While I was taking the medicines I did fine. I was a little concerned with the prednisone because I’ve only taken that once before . Well last night I took a valtrex to prevent a cold sore and went to bed . At 6:30 am I work up to use restroom and I went into a fib. Twelve hours later I finally was in sinus rhythm . I am trying to figure out if it was the prednisone withdrawal effects or the valtrex that triggered it . Or maybe just a coincidence . Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am racking my brain trying to figure this out. I’ve taken valtrex before for 10 days and on the last day I got a fib so I am trying to see if it is the one even though my doctors say that valtrex doesn’t trigger A fib . Any information will be helpful . Thank you .
Re: Possible triggers
March 13, 2020 09:02PM
Coincidences happen. Remember, before every episode of afib you ate something, drank something, did something, took some drug, etc. So when an afib episode occurs there's always going to be something you did right before it. Unless that something consistently precedes your afib episodes, it's probably just a coincidence.

Think about it. You took Valtrex for 9 days without problem, then on day 10 you experienced afib. Why would it only occur 1 out of 10 times if it was a trigger? In my opinion, the majority of things people think are triggers are purely coincidence. Paroxysmal afib happens when it wants and for no particular reason anyone can identify (with a few exceptions).

I wouldn't blame your asthma meds at this point.
March 14, 2020 03:17AM
Carey
Coincidences happen. Remember, before every episode of afib you ate something, drank something, did something, took some drug, etc. So when an afib episode occurs there's always going to be something you did right before it. Unless that something consistently precedes your afib episodes, it's probably just a coincidence.

+1
4 years and three months, 307 afib episodes, 4 ablations, hundreds of pages filled with notes about circumstances, what I eat or drink, meds, diets and supplements...
I still don't know what starts and stops my paroxysmal afib episodes.
Mr My Heart does what he wants.
March 14, 2020 09:18AM
Thank you so much .. When I was diagnosed at first it seemed that when I started a new drug I would get a fib . Till one day I hadn’t taken anything . So that makes a lot of sense. Have a great weekend .
March 16, 2020 08:23AM
Sunshine:

How long after you stopped the Prednisone did the AFIB occur? Did you taper down on the dosage when discontinuing?
How did you feel that evening before the episode, and when you first woke up?
March 16, 2020 05:15PM
Z-pack can be the trigger.

[www.cardiovascularbusiness.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login