Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My story

Posted by Khaled 
My story
March 08, 2020 04:52PM
Hi there, Ive been following this form for the past year however this is my first time posting on it. I am 22 years old used to be a pro soccer player (not anymore) i got my first episode around october 2018 of course i got the usual effects a lot of people get where since then my anxiety sky rocketed and ectopics are felt a lot of the time where they never used to be felt. Ive gotten 4 episodes to this day and as i was an athlete i couldnt tolerate beta blockers so ive decided to have my ablation in bordeaux as i read it was one of the best centers through this forum. This is my long story short however im really worried from the ablation as its in 2 days and im really freaking out, ive been trying to write here for months but ive found it hard to write down what i feel, i hope you guys could give me some encouragement as i feel im going to panic when things get serious.
Re: My story
March 08, 2020 05:39PM
Khaled,

Welcome. Many people who post here have gone to Bordeaux over the years with good results. You might be interested in reading some of Gill's (pronounced "Jill," she's from the UK) posts.

Gill went to Bordeaux in 2003. She's now about 81 and continued as a active SCUBA diver till she was 79. She's been very pleased.

As to future exercise, you might wish to read my comments here.

Good luck!

George
March 08, 2020 06:25PM
Hey george, thanks for the reply, im actually not planning to return to profressional soccer however just lose some weight as ive gained alot from the anxiety ive developed.
March 08, 2020 06:48PM
Khaled
Hey george, thanks for the reply, im actually not planning to return to professional soccer however just lose some weight as ive gained alot from the anxiety ive developed.

Understand, my thoughts now are that Zone 2 or MAF heart rate (180-age) which are pure aerobic is likely the best intensity to train at (of course, other afibbers may have different levels). In this interview, researcher Iñigo San Millán PhD (and former soccer player) notes the mitochondrial benefits of Zone 2. In my 15 1/2 years of keeping afib in relative remission, I had a subjective sense of how much is too much (at least for me). When I started coaching my afibber son-in-law, I worked on quantifying this subjective sense. Zone 2 and MAF approximate this. For weight loss, this intensity should have the benefit of being the fat burning zone, without creating the physiologic stress of higher intensities.
March 08, 2020 11:22PM
Khaled,

Thanks for posting. My heart goes out to you as I can feel your frustration and fear - very normal, its kind of a roller coaster. If you can, try to trust your doctors, your choice and just let go to the process. Maybe say some prayers if that is comfortable for you. I will say one for you now.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. That will serve you well. I too was a very active athlete and likely the source of my afib - feels ironic. You are young and will learn more about the details of your afib (resolved or not). Likely there will be some very significant new knowledge and additional treatments in the near future. I have not needed an ablation yet, but likely in my future.

Remember, you are not alone, hang in there Khaled!!

Jeff
March 09, 2020 04:26PM
Good luck. You'll be in good hands at Bordeaux.
George has given you some solid advice and as an athlete you'll be able to figure out what works best for you. My advice though is to take it slow following your ablation. I waited 6 months following my first ablation before I started any exercise that might be considered serious.
March 10, 2020 05:23AM
Hi Khaled,
Why are you in hurry?
you are very young and you might have predisposing factors for afib which should be excluded and treated before going to the ablation route.
Go see a well known electro physiologist and cardiologist for second and third opinion.

Best wishes,

Ben
March 10, 2020 08:34AM
It's a Myth that you need to take Beta-Blockers all of the time with Paroxysmal AFIB, especially if you are an Athlete, and have Vagally-Mediated Lone AFIB. The exception is if you are actually in AFIB, and need them for Rate-Control. Taking a Beta-Blocker while in NSR makes AFIB more likely for many who have Vagally Mediated AFIB.
I agree with Ben.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 08:41AM by The Anti-Fib.
March 10, 2020 09:50AM
I'm going next week for my first, so I definitely understand what you are feeling. I'm in my 40's so relatively young too. For me ablation was a last resort but I didn't want to be battling with meds back and forth and I definitely am very symptomatic. So, a Natale ablation is what I settled on. For those that have had the ablation it's very "one sided" as to their perspective: They usually seem very happy they got it done and it dramatically improved their life. At least from what I've researched. Not advice, just my perspective.
March 10, 2020 03:02PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, its done!! Atlast i took the courage and have done it im soo happy thank god, appreciate your encouragement, hopefully the procedure was worth it and looking forward for recovery phase.
March 10, 2020 04:54PM
You got your ablation done already?! If so, congratulations. Can you PM me your experience, unless you want to post it here?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login