Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I’m in icu, post parathyroid surgery, off myblood thinner 24 hours

Posted by Elaine 
I’m in icu, post parathyroid surgery, off myblood thinner 24 hours
March 04, 2020 08:49PM
I’m In the hospital and need help. I had parathyroid surgery today and I’m off my blood thinner for 24 hours. I have an isolated appendage and they won’t give my any out of their concern for hematoma. I’ve already had one stroke and definitely do not want another! What can I do NOW!?

Update: we finally connected with the cardiology department and at the same time, Dr Natale’s office called me so they are working together. I’m still going to be off my blood thinner until tomorrow but the risk factors are now being figured and explained to my satisfaction.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2020 01:25PM by Elaine.
Re: I’m in icu at Mayo Clinic, post parathyroid surgery, off myblood thinner 24 hours
March 04, 2020 08:54PM
Are your Mayo docs in communication with the EP who isolated your LAA?
I have not had any luck getting anyone to connect with Dr. Natale. He provided the protocol dealing with being off her blood thinner in surgery but part of the problem is no one expected the surgery to take as long as it did or for her to need to stay overnight. I left a message to Shannon Dickson with info. Being after hours is a problem. (I am posting this for my wife, the patient, because she’s moving from recovery to the ICU (due to high bp). It seems that their one and only concern is with the potential (likely?) bleeding from the surgery and do not seem to grasp the significance of an isolated the appendage and the risk that presents.
Re: I’m in icu at Mayo Clinic, post parathyroid surgery, off myblood thinner 24 hours
March 04, 2020 10:00PM
If you are to be taken off a blood thinner for surgery, don't they then use Heparin?

L
Update
March 04, 2020 10:15PM
Doing much better. We’ve been in contact with Dr Natale’s office and have a plan for restarting Elequis. Thank you all for your concern, help & suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2020 04:16PM by Elaine.
March 05, 2020 12:53AM
I'm not sure what to tell you other than Mayo needs to be talking to Natale. You might want to be a bit more forceful about that.
Carey
I'm not sure what to tell you other than Mayo needs to be talking to Natale. You might want to be a bit more forceful about that.
This is exactly what I talked about concerning a colonoscopy. It is not easy as some say to get Hospital’s onboard with Dr. Natale protocol. If the Mayo Clinic is not onboard or does not understand then this speaks volumes of a major disconnect.
I pray this gets worked out for you quickly.
Re: I’m in icu, post parathyroid surgery, off myblood thinner 24 hours
March 05, 2020 01:28PM
In contact and working together to my satisfaction.
March 05, 2020 02:08PM
Elaine
In contact and working together to my satisfaction.

Great news, best of UCLA for a speedy recovery!
March 05, 2020 04:16PM
Doing much better. We’ve been in contact with Dr Natale’s office and have a plan for restarting Elequis. Thank you all for your concern, help & suggestions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login