Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low carb dehydration

Posted by Driver 
Low carb dehydration
March 04, 2020 07:08AM
Well started a low carb diet 4 days with less then 150carbs a day, in Hope's of lowering my cholesterol #s. I have had last two nights with 20min plus runs of afibb. Could this be dehydration from limiting my carb intake?

I was eating tons of fruits before and now have limited them to 3 servings a day. Potassium levels may have drops. Not sure alittle discouraging.

Flecinaide and met daily meds

Thanks!!
Re: Low carb dehydration
March 04, 2020 09:04AM
Low carb's issue with afib is usually an electrolyte disturbance caused by low insulin. High insulin signals the kidneys to retain sodium. Low insulin the reverse. In dramatic cases, the sodium excretion is dramatic enough that potassium excretion is also an issue. However, it normally takes carb restriction to < 50 or even <20 g/day to cause this.

The late Joseph Kraft MD did about 15,000 oral glucose tolerance tests with insulin assays. One of his insulin patterns was "Type 5" which was a low flat response. This could be caused by either pancreatic insufficiency or a low carb/keto diet. His recommendation was to consume 150 g carbs/day to differentiate between the two states. Point being that 150 g/day unlikely to cause the electrolyte issue.

Not sure how the dehydration will play out.
March 04, 2020 09:53AM
GeorgeN
Low carb's issue with afib is usually an electrolyte disturbance caused by low insulin. High insulin signals the kidneys to retain sodium. Low insulin the reverse. In dramatic cases, the sodium excretion is dramatic enough that potassium excretion is also an issue. However, it normally takes carb restriction to < 50 or even <20 g/day to cause this.

The late Joseph Kraft MD did about 15,000 oral glucose tolerance tests with insulin assays. One of his insulin patterns was "Type 5" which was a low flat response. This could be caused by either pancreatic insufficiency or a low carb/keto diet. His recommendation was to consume 150 g carbs/day to differentiate between the two states. Point being that 150 g/day unlikely to cause the electrolyte issue.

Not sure how the dehydration will play out.

I was eating a very high carb diet due to large amount of fruit in take I mean alotsmiling smiley. Maybe the the large swing from a ton of carbs to under 150 a day is throwing me out of wack?
March 04, 2020 02:00PM
Driver:

What kind of fruit were you eating? Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries are all good to eat, I don't know why fruit is getting such a bad rap.

L
March 04, 2020 02:31PM
Elizabeth
Driver:

What kind of fruit were you eating? Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries are all good to eat, I don't know why fruit is getting such a bad rap.

Well lots of banana, berries, apples, mangos, fish, dates, grapes probably equivalent to 15 servings a day love me some fruitwinking smiley
March 04, 2020 03:30PM
Driver:

Dr. Brownstein has a site and a lot of info on Statins/Cholesterol, he is a Holistic doc.. and is very good. He has a book about Statins and Cholesterol.

[www.drbrownstein.com]

L
March 04, 2020 05:04PM
Elizabeth
Driver:

Dr. Brownstein has a site and a lot of info on Statins/Cholesterol, he is a Holistic doc.. and is very good. He has a book about Statins and Cholesterol.

[www.drbrownstein.com]

L
Thank you!
March 04, 2020 07:17PM
Driver
I was eating a very high carb diet due to large amount of fruit in take I mean alotsmiling smiley. Maybe the the large swing from a ton of carbs to under 150 a day is throwing me out of wack?

What was the rest of your diet like - before and after?
March 04, 2020 08:30PM
Before breakfast banana and egg or peanutbutter lunch canned wild salmon or tuna, veg and fruit Dinners were usually mix of soups, meats, and rice etc. Then I would graze after dinner salami, pepperoni dried fruits mango,figs, bananas, apples alot of fruit.(dried mangos are good)

Now

Breakfast lunch same pretty much
Dinner low carb meal meat and veg usually
Snack after dinner 1 more serving of fruit not half the frigerator or berries kale avocado smoothie

Was 6'3 218Lbs last week
Now 214lbs

But now I'm getting afibb attacks, had 5 in the last year under 5min now I'm at 2 attacks 20+ min 2 days in arrow.

GeorgeN

What was the rest of your diet like - before and after?
March 04, 2020 09:39PM
On first glance, I don't think it is the lack of carbs. A good check for dehydration is 1) urine color - if clear to pale yellow, not dehydrated; 2) pinch your skin and pull it up. If it stays up for a while, you are dehydrated, if it springs back, you are not.

Fructose does get metabolized differently than other carbs. It is processed by the liver in the same way ethanol is (though you don't get the high like from ethanol). Here is a paper on fructose metabolism. Fructose doesn't spike insulin or blood glucose. They used to think it was good for diabetics, because of this. However, they now realize that excess fructose can metabolize to fat which can deposit on the liver and pancreas, impairing insulin production. 4 pounds on the scale is not meaningful. Even how much stool is in your bowel can impact weight.

I'm not saying your diet change may not be associated with the afib increase, just hard to say. I don't think it is the carbs at the level you are eating them.

You could go back to how you were eating and see if the afib changes.
March 05, 2020 07:48AM
From an overall health objective I'd be avoiding too much high fructose fruits anyway (as I do) - stick to raspberries, strawberries and blueberries in moderation would be my advice.
March 08, 2020 10:50AM
Check this from Alan R. Gaby, MD... who is a well-known and highly regarded nutritional medicine MD.

When considering only its effects on glucose levels, fructose seems to be a safe or even desirable sweetener for people with diabetes, as long as it is used in moderation. However, the adverse effects of fructose on other aspects of metabolism might more than counterbalance its benign influence on glycemic control. Fructose unfavorably affects each of the three major factors that are thought to contribute to the pathogenesis of diabetic end-organ damage: gly-cosylation of tissue proteins, intracellular accumulation of sorbitol, and oxidative stress.
continue: [anaturalhealingcenter.com]

[doctorgaby.com]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login