Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

collagen plugs

Posted by cirenepurzalot 
collagen plugs
March 02, 2020 04:39PM
Does anyone know what the collagen plugs are made out of? (The ones Dr Natale uses.)
Re: collagen plugs
March 02, 2020 05:36PM
Um, collagen? ;-) They're made to be absorbed by the body so they can't contain much else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 08:45PM by Carey.
March 02, 2020 08:00PM
Haha Carey, thanks! Dumb question of the year???? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 02, 2020 08:46PM
The year is young! smiling smiley
March 02, 2020 08:50PM
March 03, 2020 12:02PM
Possibly they contain other materials as well as collagen. I have an autoimmune issue regarding rejection of foreign objects (some/most stitches, tapes, titanium etc) and they were an painful after 3-4 weeks so I had an ultrasound.to rule out a clot.
March 03, 2020 02:35PM
susan.d
Possibly they contain other materials as well as collagen.

Nope. Natale uses the Vascade plugs and according to the FDA data sheet the plugs are composed of type I bovine collagen. No other materials are mentioned and the only contraindication is an allergy to bovine collagen. That makes sense because the plug has to be completely absorbable by the body.
March 03, 2020 02:57PM
Thanks Carey!
March 03, 2020 03:23PM
Thanks Carey! Pig! That makes sense. I am allergic to CatGut stitches (pig intestines) .
March 03, 2020 03:28PM
I know it comes from cows but it’s an animal like pigs
March 03, 2020 04:03PM
"CATGut" comes from pics? I'm confused. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 03, 2020 05:12PM
In the 60s and 70s surgeons didn’t use nylon stitches, they used stitches made from animal intestines.
March 03, 2020 05:20PM
My mistake. Catgut comes from bovine collagen, not pig. I listed catgut on my medical records as an allergy. my stitches oozed and the internal stitches found its way to the skin surface for 13 months. I didn’t connect my catgut stitches to the plugs..both from collagen. Nobody uses them now.

”Catgut suture is made by twisting together strands of purified collagen taken from the serosal or submucosal layer of the small intestine of healthy ruminants (cattle, sheep, goats) or from beef tendon. ... The word catgut is derived from the term kitgut or kitstring (the string used on a kit, or fiddle).”
Joe
March 05, 2020 05:48PM
As an aside, disappointed it's not made from catgut, at least here in Australiathumbs down. Cats are a huge problem for our native Australian wildlife. Using their gut would at least be one positivewinking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login