Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dr Natale - Here I come....

Posted by cirenepurzalot 
Dr Natale - Here I come....
March 02, 2020 04:38PM
In a few weeks I'll be getting my first RF ablation with Dr Natale. Hopefully the coronavirus won't impede my travel plans at all!

If you have any last minute tips for pre or post procedure let me know. I'm a little terrified, but less because it's Dr Natale!

Thanks to all of you for helping me build the courage to go see him.
Re: Dr Natale - Here I come....
March 02, 2020 05:37PM
Good for you!

Have you made travel plans yet?
March 02, 2020 07:12PM
Relax.....

How long are you going to be there before and after?

My family and my had a great time exploring Austin before my procedure. Lots of good food, sites and music. Especially if you enjoy old the blues.
March 02, 2020 08:00PM
Yes, we've made tentative plans. It involves flying. But, we'll see where the virus impact is as we get closer. If it's not a good idea to fly we'll drive.

I hope to get there on a Monday, then our consult is on Tuesday and the procedure on Wednesday.

I have been to Austin in the past (once) and love the city. Hopefully I'll feel good enough to sightsee a bit while we're there. If anyone has any suggestions (hotels, restaurants, things to see/do, etc) please let me know!

Take care!
March 02, 2020 09:16PM
Some suggestions....

Make sure your plans get you there early on Monday so if your flight is delayed or you run into traffic problems, you've got time to still get there. Missing the appointment would be a big deal. (Been there, done that, barely made a connecting flight by minutes.)

Do not stay at the Day's Inn that's nearest to St. Davids. Although tempting because it's inexpensive and barely a block away, it's kind of a dump. Decent hotels near St. David's aren't cheap. Consider looking into BnBs if you want to be nearby but don't want a big hotel.

Don't bother renting a car. Uber/Lyft will get you everywhere you need to go for a lot less money and hassle.

You'll have one day before and two days after the procedure. I recommend that you plan on dinner here for at least one night of your stay. It's a rather unusual fusion of Texan and Asian cuisine and surprisingly delicious. Also inexpensive and casual.

Consider yourself lucky that you're not visiting in the summer.
March 02, 2020 10:11PM
Great suggestions, as usual, Carey! I truly appreciate it.
March 03, 2020 02:30PM
Good call cirenepurzalot. Wishing you the best possible outcome.
March 03, 2020 03:26PM
Thanks alot! I'm praying for success and a smooth trip. And, to come home coronavirus-free!
March 05, 2020 05:38PM
You will be pleased with this experience. Their professionalism is above measure and the Hospital food is not bad. The most overwhelming moment for me was when I was wheeled into the procedure room. It is wall to wall of high tech equipment. I am a EE by trade and have seen a lot of high tech equipment in Process plants. Dr. Natale is top notch in everything he does IMO.
I have had 2 Ablations with Dr. Natale. The last in summer 2016.

The Wife and I drove to Austin; A 8 hour drive. We stayed about 15 minutes north of St. David’s but I cannot remember the name of the Hotel. We stay at 3 star and above hotels and I think it was around $160 a night with the St. David discount. I was given a list of discounted hotels from St. Davids. A B&B would be an excellent choice.

Relax! It’s your time for the freedom of being in NSR. Yes it took 2 Ablations for me but I was told to probably expect this. This site is a Godsend to me and my Wife Tammy. In my first procedure, some conference was going on and 175+ EP,s watched my Ablation as Dr. Natale did his magic in Feb 2014. I was one of the first to have the Medtronic Linq put to use. They ask me if I was willing to do this and Of course I said yes. I would recommend the Linq to everyone.
Good Luck my Friend. You are in good hands.

As far as the corona virus. My opinion is to be careful because Austin is a college town and have a couple festival in March. I would not get anywhere near a crowd until this virus is better controlled. Just my opinion but we err on the side of caution.
March 05, 2020 05:56PM
Thanks for your reassurances! I haven't had afib in about 4 days, which is good for me. So I think my body is like "dont do it!!!" But, I have to remember how symptomatic I am when I get it. And my sessions have increased to 1 to 3 days on average now. I just want to be afib free and med free! I'm only in my 40's.
March 05, 2020 07:48PM
smackman
The most overwhelming moment for me was when I was wheeled into the procedure room. It is wall to wall of high tech equipment. I am a EE by trade and have seen a lot of high tech equipment in Process plants.

They recently completed a new lab, which is an entire wing of the hospital that looks like something out of Star Trek. If the old lab impressed you, you'd be completely blown over by this one. I got a tour of it last fall and took a few pictures, which I had forgotten to post. Watch for a new thread with photos of it.
March 05, 2020 09:09PM
Very cool!
March 05, 2020 11:58PM
cirenepurzalot
Thanks for your reassurances! I haven't had afib in about 4 days, which is good for me. So I think my body is like "dont do it!!!" But, I have to remember how symptomatic I am when I get it. And my sessions have increased to 1 to 3 days on average now. I just want to be afib free and med free! I'm only in my 40's.

This is the amazing think with afib, when you're symptomatic but healthy beside of it. You may feel so fine the days after an episode that you might wonder if it's worth taking drugs or booking for an ablation. And then, afib suddenly strikes back from nowhere and you're ready to sign for the procedure.
I wish you the best.
March 06, 2020 01:58AM
So true! Thanks!
Pompon

This is the amazing think with afib, when you're symptomatic but healthy beside of it. You may feel so fine the days after an episode that you might wonder if it's worth taking drugs or booking for an ablation. And then, afib suddenly strikes back from nowhere and you're ready to sign for the procedure.
I wish you the best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login