Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How does one safely discontinue Pradaxa?

Posted by Callydex 
How does one safely discontinue Pradaxa?
March 02, 2020 03:37PM
Just curious - I am looking forward to getting off Pradaxa, as it makes me quite sick. How exactly is one taken off? I have read in some places that abrupt discontinuation results in a state of hypercoagulation, which in itself can precipitate a stroke
Re: How does one safely discontinue Pradaxa?
March 02, 2020 05:19PM
Its a "Black Box Warning" from FDA. My EP says there is similar risks with discontinuing any of the NOAC's, its just worse with Pradaxa. I decided to taper off of these drugs when it is time to get off of them, but there may not be any Medical Literature supporting this idea.

[www.accessdata.fda.gov]
March 02, 2020 05:45PM
I've been taken off it (and Eliquis and warfarin) several of times. You just stop taking it. There is no taper procedure.

I don't know where this legend comes from about needing to taper comes from but I've seen no credible evidence of any sort of rebound effect. The black box warning isn't about hypercoagulability. It's simply a warning about stopping the drug without adequate coverage with something else. So if you, for example, took your last Pradaxa on Monday night and then took your first Eliquis on Tuesday morning, you'd be fine. The black box warning is saying don't stop the Pradaxa on Monday and then wait a week to take something else.
March 02, 2020 07:06PM
Just found a BMJ study - 2012 - concluding that there was a significant risk of rebound effect strokes, especially in people going off because of bleeds, and especially during the first thirty days after abrupt discontinuation. . Will post the citation in a bit.
March 02, 2020 08:29PM
Thorne, K. M., Dee, S., & Jayathissa, S. (2012). Thrombotic events after discontinuing dabigatran: rebound or resumption?. Bmj, 345, e4469.
March 02, 2020 09:30PM
Yes, I've seen that study, and that's why I said I've seen no credible evidence of a rebound effect. That study is full of problems and there have been no further studies I'm aware of that support it. It's 8 years old and nobody has replicated it, which is usually a sign they don't think it's worth bothering. Patients start and stop anticoagulants cold every day without problem. Needing to taper is an urban legend as best I can tell.

Your plan is to switch from Pradaxa to something else, right? If so, then tapering just isn't an issue for you. You're going from Pradaxa to something else immediately, right? If so, then that study and the black box warning are simply irrelevant for you. You'll be fine.
March 03, 2020 11:46AM
Göndör, G., & Stöllberger, C. (2017). Pulmonary embolism four days after interruption of therapy with rivaroxaban. Hämostaseologie, 37(04), 302-306.

"We conclude from this observation that there is an urgent need to clarify the rate of a rivaroxaban rebound phenomenon, manifesting as arterial embolism and stroke as well as venous thromboembolism. Furthermore, it has to be assessed if rebound phenomena also exist for other NOACs like dabigatran, apixaban and edoxaban. For that purpose, the data of the large randomized trials and registries investigating patients with atrial fibrillation or venous thromboembolism should be analysed. There is a need to develop recommendations for situations in which NOAC-therapy has to be interrupted or ceased. At present it remains uncertain if low-molecularweight heparin in therapeutic doses has to be administered for several days until the hypercoagulable state has resolved."
March 03, 2020 02:54PM
That's just a case study. It was a single patient who just underwent surgery and also happened to be a CHADS 4. Also, he was on Xarelto, not Pradaxa. There's no evidence of a rebound effect in that paper so the author is purely speculating.
March 03, 2020 03:13PM
I have stopped Pradaxa,Xarelto and Eliquis cold turkey. NEVER had a single issue.
March 03, 2020 03:22PM
There is more evidence that stopping a NOAC abruptly poses a health risk, compared to tapering off of these Drugs. Where is the evidence that Tapering off causes any harm? Same thing with Tapering off of Corticosteriods like Prednisone.
March 03, 2020 03:45PM
Just doing my research -
March 03, 2020 05:51PM
The Anti-Fib
There is more evidence that stopping a NOAC abruptly poses a health risk, compared to tapering off of these Drugs.

I'd like to see that evidence.
March 03, 2020 05:59PM
Me too - I have been looking
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login