Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A-fib (tachycardia) @ 7:50am, take my meds on time @11:30?

Posted by SueChef 
A-fib (tachycardia) @ 7:50am, take my meds on time @11:30?
February 29, 2020 12:30PM
Tachycardia woke me at 7:50 this morning, tried my regular interventions, then drank 8oz low sodium V-8, sprayed Ancient Minerals magnesium spray (3 squirts) on wrist, tried to relax, meditate. Still have the tachycardia.

If it doesn't get worse in symptoms, am I ok to take morning meds as usual at 11:30 am ? Meds are extended release metoprolol, flecainide, Pradaxa, and flecainide. Thanks! I'm hoping this will resolve at home so I can avoid the ER (b/ c this heart stuff still scares me!).
Re: A-fib (tachycardia) @ 7:50am, take my meds on time @11:30?
February 29, 2020 01:04PM
Has your EP directed you to use increased dose of Flecanide to try to convert? Maybe try calling your EP and asking.
February 29, 2020 04:07PM
Hi, rocketritch,
Yes, my EP did say I could take an increased dose of Flecainide to try to convert. Thankfully, though, by a bit after 10:00 am, things resolved so I went ahead and took my regular dose of everything I take in the morning.
Sue
February 29, 2020 04:15PM
SueChef
Tachycardia woke me at 7:50 this morning, tried my regular interventions
My EP is fine with me taking a bit more of my beta blocker if I get tachy (which I rarely do). I also take flecainide regularly but the extra dose of the beta blocker is enough to get me out of tachy.
February 29, 2020 04:18PM
Sue:

If it doesn't get worse in symptoms, am I ok to take morning meds as usual at 11:30 am ? Meds are extended release metoprolol, flecainide, Pradaxa, and flecainide. Thanks

Are you saying that you take Fleainide and Pradaxa? Why would you take 2 anti-arrhythmias.

Liz
February 29, 2020 06:10PM
Having tachycardia or afib is no reason to skip your normal meds. I'm not sure why you would question it. That's what those meds are for.
February 29, 2020 08:35PM
Elizabeth
Are you saying that you take Fleainide and Pradaxa? Why would you take 2 anti-arrhythmias.
Maybe a typo? Flecainide is an antiarrhythic and Pradaxa an anticoagulant.
February 29, 2020 10:19PM
Sue:

How long have you been taking Flec.? Do you have any bad side effects from it, could the tachy be a side affect?

Liz
March 01, 2020 12:05AM
Thanks for ringing in, Daisy! You're right to clarify that metoprolol is antiarrythmic and Pradaxa is an anticoagulant.

Carey, I must have miscommunicated, my apologies. I had not intended to skip my meds, but did wonder if my normal dose at my usual time would in any way be contraindicated since I was in a-fib. I've never taken my meds when I was having an episode. My recent past experience was that I had a-fib for a couple of hours (this was almost 4 hours after my usual dose) and it didn't go away so I ended up kinda scared and went to the ER, where they just watched me for another 4 hour until I got back in normal rhythm on my own.

Liz, I've been taking Flecainide since I had an episode of what I thought was a-fib, but it was really SVT. After attempting valsalva maneuvers, they had to give me adenosine as the next step and thankfully, that worked. My EP and good folks here say the Flecainide is often prescribed with metoprolol, and they work well together.

I started Flecainide July 20, 2019, and had the dosage increased Nov. 5 of the same year b/c of episodes that didn't seem controlled at the initial dosage I was taking. I don't feel as if I have any side effects of it, nor do I feel the tachy is a side effect.

Thanks everyone! (I know I'm a scaredy cat.)
March 01, 2020 12:35AM
Sue, there's no reason to be afraid. Just take your normal meds at the usual time every day no matter what your heart is doing. You'll be fine. smiling smiley
March 01, 2020 01:11AM
rocketritch
Has your EP directed you to use increased dose of Flecanide to try to convert? Maybe try calling your EP and asking.

If you weigh less than 154 the flecainide maximum is 200mg during a 24 hour period. I read for years about those taking 300mg and didn’t question it. I took 300mg (100mg every 8 hours) advised by an EP and had a flecainide overdose and ended up in the cardiac icu ward for three days. Just saying be careful with flecainide. It has a black box drug warning.

“ Black box warnings, also called boxed warnings, are required by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for certain medications that carry serious safety risks. Often these warnings communicate potential rare but dangerous side effects, or they may be used to communicate important instructions for safe use of the drug.Jul 24, 2019
ClevelandClinic.org › health › what-...
What Does it Mean If My Medication Has a 'Black Box Warning'? – Health Essentials ...”
March 01, 2020 04:23AM
Thanks, Carey, for your encouraging and kind words! Intellectually I know what I've learned here & from my EP about a-fib stuff, but emotionally, well, that's different. lolam

Susan D, thanks so much for sharing your experience with Flecainide! I'm so sorry you had to go through that!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login