Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Could Nighttime Dehydration Cause Return of AFIB

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Could Nighttime Dehydration Cause Return of AFIB
February 18, 2020 07:30AM
I had an Ablation in Bordeaux June 2018. I had no episodes again until July 2019 when I went into Afib for 7 hours during the night. (I used Metoprolol and Flec). Heart has been calm since, hardly even a Pac.

Staying hydrated might seem simple but not in my case: I suffer from Nocturnal Polyuria.

I measured my output last night:-
8.15pm - 450ml
10.15pm - 330ml
12.05am - 400ml
3.00am - 1300ml
6.40am - 660ml
Total for 10.5 hours - 3140ml.

This must surely leave me dehydrated by morning. I stay well hydrated during the day with my last glass of water at 9.30pm with two mouthfuls during the night. Just drinking during the night isn't really an option considering how many times I'm having to get up.

I suppose the main question here is how to overcome Nocturnal Polyuria though, like many of us I suspect, the possibility of it causing Afib is always on my mind.

P.S. In case that 1300ml figure seems impossible I should mention I have a very distended bladder and have to use a catheter three times a day to completely empty it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Re: Could Nighttime Dehydration Cause Return of AFIB
February 18, 2020 07:41AM
Hi Sam,

According to everything I've ever read here this last 20 years, dehydration is certainly a potent trigger for AF or at least greatly contributing to setting the scene for it.

Boy that's some voiding you got going on there at 3+ litres in 10 hours. Is that an occasional event or pretty much every night? This last 20 years I get the occasional night - like a couple of times a year - where I seem to be peeing for England as it were but such nights would still produce no more than 1500mm or so over 12 hours.

Interesting that your own output as above peaks at between midnight and 3 am.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 07:42AM by mwcf.
Re: Could Nighttime Dehydration Cause Return of AFIB
February 18, 2020 08:47AM
I voided 1300ml at one time in the cardiac ICU with 3liters in a hospital shift. I speculated it was my heart.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login