Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2nd Cryoablation Friday...in and out in 8hrs

Posted by pmcaz 
2nd Cryoablation Friday...in and out in 8hrs
February 09, 2020 07:48AM
Aloha Afibbers...

Friday was my second cryoablation so I thought knew what to expect, but was I wrong!
6:00am admit and pre-cath
7:30am into OR but doc is late (which is great as I have a half hour to grill the team about the equipment which fascinates me!)
8:00am I say goodnight to the anesthetist.
10:00am (after a blink of the eye) I am being rolled into post-op with a nurse on each side applying pressure and bandages.
2:00pm I go home!!! Can you believe that? Maybe in-and-out is common? I sure felt like I won the lottery.

Here's my feeling after having two ablations:

I like Tucson Medical Center (TMC). While I have no love for the floor care there (and fortunately avoided it this time), I find the Pre-Cath / Cath Lab / OR / Post-Op people to be fantastic. The OR is study in high tech equipment and was specifically designed by my doc and his cryoablations (he does a lot of cryoablations!). The team works with my doc so often they have meshed into a single living organism.

I like Dr. Peress. He can be strangely aloof (he has an amzaing NP named Mike and they like to say "mike is the mouth and dr peress is the hands") but whatever, I like him and trust him with my life.

Pineapple. My boss said "eat a bunch of pineapple before and after and you'll have no bruising". I didn't believe him then but sure do now! First time monster bruising...this time size of a dime on each leg. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm a believer.

Anyhow, that's my story for what it's worth. Please remember the pineapple part.
Re: 2nd Cryoablation Friday...in and out in 8hrs
February 09, 2020 09:46AM
I didn't know one could get a 2nd cryoablation.
February 09, 2020 10:21AM
Me neither, but that's what I was told I had. I thought they'd touch up the first (failed) ablation with a hot ablation, but they said they were going back in with the cryo. Unfortunately, I won;t be able to confirm this until my follow-up in a week or two.

pmc
February 09, 2020 01:16PM
pmcaz
Pineapple. My boss said "eat a bunch of pineapple before and after and you'll have no bruising". I didn't believe him then but sure do now! First time monster bruising...this time size of a dime on each leg. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm a believer.

Monster bruising shouldn't happen. You might have had some nurses who don't know how to apply pressure properly or they cut it short.

Must say I've never heard of a repeat cryo either so I'll be interested in what they have to say next week.
February 09, 2020 06:30PM
Carey

Monster bruising shouldn't happen. You might have had some nurses who don't know how to apply pressure properly or they cut it short.

Must say I've never heard of a repeat cryo either so I'll be interested in what they have to say next week.

Very interesting, I thought it was normal, but I never had a surgery before so what do I know. I did threw up violently on the ride from post-op to my room the first time. The nurse laid on my wounds with all her weight (and seemed extremely concerned about me puking). In hindsight I bet that had something to do with the "monster bruising"?

As for a second cryo, I'm sure that's what I heard. I will definitely find out. I actually have a portal to the hosptial visit. I'll login in tonight or tomorrow and see if I get a doc report.

pmc
February 10, 2020 01:02AM
pmcaz
Very interesting, I thought it was normal, but I never had a surgery before so what do I know. I did threw up violently on the ride from post-op to my room the first time. The nurse laid on my wounds with all her weight (and seemed extremely concerned about me puking). In hindsight I bet that had something to do with the "monster bruising"?

Ah.... Yeah, could be. What should have happened was two nurses leaning and pressing on your insertion sites quite forcefully for a full 15 minutes. These days most centers have them do that before they wake you up because it's rather uncomfortable, but some still wake you up and then do it. Sounds like you experienced the latter and when you began vomiting the nurses got alarmed about that and let go of the pressure a bit early. Well... anyway... just guessing what happened.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login