Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need a colonoscopy but on Eliquis

Posted by smackman 
Need a colonoscopy but on Eliquis
February 06, 2020 11:45AM
It is time for my colonoscopy. As most know, I am on Eliquis for life. They want me off for 3 days. What is the answer to this? I definitely do not want to drastically up my chances of a stroke. I have had one colonoscopy done where one polyp removed 10 years ago that was one stage from cancerous. Also my Daddy has cancer of the transverse colon so bad family history.
They will not budge on the 3 days. What have some of you done when this situation has occurred? Stressful to say the least. I thank God and this Forum for leading me to Austin. Shannon is such a inspiration to me and my wife for all he has done for us.
Thanks in advance
Ken
Re: Need a colonoscopy but on Eliquis
February 06, 2020 12:40PM
I don't recall your issue, but why are you one Eliquis? And if you were off it for three days, what could happen that could cause a stroke.

I had afib for 5 years (didn't know it) with over 100 episodes, but it was misdiagnosed and I wasn't of any blood thinners. Seems the stroke risk was pretty small for me.

Having cancer of the colon seems like a bigger issue than being off Eliquis for 3 days. Removing polyps is better than removing the colon.
February 06, 2020 01:16PM
smackman
It is time for my colonoscopy. As most know, I am on Eliquis for life. They want me off for 3 days. What is the answer to this? I definitely do not want to drastically up my chances of a stroke. I have had one colonoscopy done where one polyp removed 10 years ago that was one stage from cancerous. Also my Daddy has cancer of the transverse colon so bad family history.
They will not budge on the 3 days. What have some of you done when this situation has occurred? Stressful to say the least. I thank God and this Forum for leading me to Austin. Shannon is such a inspiration to me and my wife for all he has done for us.
Thanks in advance
Yes, they will want you off Eliquis for a colonoscopy. My EP bridged me with Lovenox as it's half life is very short. Forget the exact protocol, but I think I was on Lovenox until the day before. They did remove 2 polyps so that delayed my return to Eliquis. I understand the discomfort about having to stop Eliquis!
February 06, 2020 01:54PM
I'd contact Natale's office and ask about the bridging protocol they suggest.
February 06, 2020 02:03PM
What George said. I replied to you about this on another thread.
February 06, 2020 02:27PM
GeorgeN
I'd contact Natale's office and ask about the bridging protocol they suggest.

This is what I did for both a colonoscopy and a spinal nerve block. Lovonox Bridge protocol
February 06, 2020 06:16PM
Ken
I don't recall your issue, but why are you one Eliquis? And if you were off it for three days, what could happen that could cause a stroke.

I had afib for 5 years (didn't know it) with over 100 episodes, but it was misdiagnosed and I wasn't of any blood thinners. Seems the stroke risk was pretty small for me.

Having cancer of the colon seems like a bigger issue than being off Eliquis for 3 days. Removing polyps is better than removing the colon.
No P wave. Good velocity flow; Everything great but no P wave.
February 06, 2020 06:22PM
Can you comprehend me trying to get a rural gasterologist on board with this? I have already had a “ fallen out” with my Cardiologist over going to Austin for my Ablations instead of using someone local in Monroe, Louisiana.
Not everyone lives in a highly populated area. I will try this but I feel it will fall on deaf ears. Honestly I am not trying to be difficult but understand it’s not as simple as telling your local Gasterologist to call Austin to discuss this..
Also, This procedure is generally paid for 100%. How will this bridging change the cost for this outpatient procedure? This will be my First time with Medicare and my supplement. Will Medicare cover this bridging?
Thanks to all for the help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 07:02PM by smackman.
February 06, 2020 08:10PM
smackman
Also, This procedure is generally paid for 100%. How will this bridging change the cost for this outpatient procedure? This will be my First time with Medicare and my supplement. Will Medicare cover this bridging?
I am also on Medicare, my EP prescribed the Lovenox, Medicare paid for it = procedure paid for 100%. My gastro was okay with it as long as my EP prescribed it.
February 06, 2020 08:20PM
It shouldn't change the financials at all. It's a normal medical procedure and Medicare won't care one bit.

And I don't think any gastro doc will have a problem with it, rural or not. It's not all that unusual. There's no reason he would even need to have a discussion with Natale. Just call Natale's office, ask them to send the protocol to him, and let him have a look at it. I predict it will be no big deal for him. All he cares about is that you're off Eliquis during the procedure.
February 07, 2020 04:48PM
Could someone give me a condensed version of the protocol for my personal reading? One of the biggest issues I have had is my local Cardiologist not giving approval even for stopping aspirin. I have not been back to this Cardiologist in 2+ years because of his out dated beliefs. This was for a upper GI in early 2016 I had to have before my second ablation in June or July of 2016. At that time I was not on a blood thinner.The Gasterologist finally did it after a 2 week delay while on a 81mg aspirin a day. I realize this is old school but welcome to rural north central Louisiana. Lol
I need to find a local EP but that’s not possible right now. There is one EP in this area (40 miles one way) and I cringe going to someone who has no mediocre references because he is new and ....
I have had zero issues since my second Ablation. I get my yearly physical and move on with life. If I need a EP I will head to Austin 8 hours away.
February 07, 2020 11:28PM
Condensed version of lovonox bridge protocol as best as I can remember

1. You will receive your Lovonox.
2. You will stop your Elequis at a determined time based on your procedure.
3. 12 hours after you stop Elequis you will get your first shot of Lovonox.
4. You will continue the shots until the day before your procedure.
5. You will start back on Elequis following your procedure at your normal time

Natale's office will give you detailed instructions and will also discuss the protocol with your doctor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login