Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TIA or Aural Migraine.....Sleepless in the Midwest.....

Posted by lds001 
TIA or Aural Migraine.....Sleepless in the Midwest.....
February 06, 2020 12:44AM
Totally confused and soooo anxious.

This morning I had zig zags and distortions in my eyes and couldn’t read all the letters on my page. (It was not symptoms of a retinal tear or detachment) ...I had this once before, maybe one year ago. Both times I assumed it was an Aural Migraine and in awhile I would get a headache...but not a huge headache. Tonight I feel pretty tired and still have a lingering headache.

So today, my eye visions lasted about ten minutes, also I think it was only in my right eye...but not sure....anyway ....the eye zigzags stopped and I reading a paper out loud and I couldn’t pronounce the word “oriented.”....I reread it about three times and I knew I wasn’t saying it right and then everytime I read the would administration...I would speak the word “mother”.......and I was realizing that I wasn’t really comprehending what I was reading. After about 15 minutes ...it was all gone....but I was left with an huge panic attack....most of the day. I had no other signs of stroke, no weakness, tingling, drooping, blindness....BP and pulse and EKG were normal, etc.

I made an appointment with my Internet’s for 8:00 tomorrow. If I didn’t have Afib I would think this was an Aural Migraine with Asphagia.....but now I am very concerned about stroke.

Does anyone have any experience with aural migraines with asphagia? I wonder if they will have to run all sorts of huge tests to determine what’s going on.

Also, is a TIA a warning of a larger stroke?

Linda
Re: TIA or Aural Migraine.....Sleepless in the Midwest.....
February 06, 2020 01:04AM
lds001
Also, is a TIA a warning of a larger stroke?

Yes, Linda, it is, and I think you should seek immediate medical care. A 911 call would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do right now.
February 06, 2020 09:12AM
Carey,I just saw your email. It’s 8 AM and I am sitting at my internist office. My EP,s office is on the floor above me so one way or another I will make sure I get the appropriate urgent care needed
February 06, 2020 10:07AM
Carey, I saw my doc.....she feels I had a complex migraine...however she is going to have me go and have a stroke protocol MRI......today. Thanks for your help!
February 06, 2020 11:42AM
Glad to hear that. It probably is just a migraine but better safe than sorry!
February 06, 2020 03:57PM
IDS 001

Sounds like an Aura Migraine to me---I get those, I have since my early 20s and I am now 80. I got only a couple a year until I started getting AF then I might get a couple a month now, I can't take some supplements as they will give me those Aura Migraines. Yes, they start with a zigzag flashes of light and depending where it hits you in your eye they can obstruct your vision. They usually last about 20 min. to a 1/2 hr. and you can have a little headache, during the attack and a little while afterwards sometimes you can be a little out of it like you said. They are nasty and I hate them but they are not TIAs, they are Aura Migraines. There is a couple of posts about Aura migraines on this site and some have said that they have gotten them and AF as well.

Liz
February 06, 2020 06:20PM
Carey
Glad to hear that. It probably is just a migraine but better safe than sorry!

I totally agree...My MRA was normal.....I still have a headache/nausea....ugh. My Doc said if it should happen again to go to the ER

Thanks!

Linda

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 06:22PM by lds001.
February 06, 2020 06:22PM
Elizabeth
IDS 001

Sounds like an Aura Migraine to me---I get those, I have since my early 20s and I am now 80. I got only a couple a year until I started getting AF then I might get a couple a month now, I can't take some supplements as they will give me those Aura Migraines. Yes, they start with a zigzag flashes of light and depending where it hits you in your eye they can obstruct your vision. They usually last about 20 min. to a 1/2 hr. and you can have a little headache, during the attack and a little while afterwards sometimes you can be a little out of it like you said. They are nasty and I hate them but they are not TIAs, they are Aura Migraines. There is a couple of posts about Aura migraines on this site and some have said that they have gotten them and AF as well.

Liz

Thanks Liz....yes exactly....except I also had this weird speech thing....and I felt I was out of it. I did NOT like the feeling. I would be hard pressed to figure out stroke or TIA.....I probably wouldn’t take any chances. ‘

Linda
February 06, 2020 07:06PM
Linda:

I have read that during the Aura Migraine you can have a tingling in your arm and even your mouth, I have had that twice in my lifetime, it is also a part of what some people can experience during these attacks. I know it is scary but just know it does happen.

Liz
February 08, 2020 05:19AM
Hi,

I have recently experienced a similar event, but mine was slightly different . I get AF 5-6 times a month, HR up to 180, 6-12 hours. I’ve recently been put back on Isoptin and low dose Flecainide and Eliquis.

I was standing in a queue in the supermarket when I felt a numbness run down the side of my head and face, I felt nauseated and shaken and could only stagger to a seat to sit down.
Taken to hospital by ambulance, WAITED 11 hours and gave up and went home.

Next day feeling very seedy, went to GP who insisted I go back to ER. Waited another 12 hours....stayed overnight, had a cat scan next day and bloods, physical and neurological tests.
They said not a TIA (but was outside the window of opportunity for bloods.) diagnosis...migraine or BPV. I’m not impressed but I am concerned.I have been freaking out ever since.
February 08, 2020 03:19PM
Joy

I really hate these Aura Migraines, I sometimes hate them worse than AF. There are all kinds of symptoms that can happen with these Auras, I have read that a numbness sometimes happens in your left arm and face, it is scary. The numbness has happened to me twice which did scare me as I have gotten these Auras off and on throughout my life, but apparently this can happen and it is due to the Aura Migraine, I have read this when I googled it. I have since had blood work done plus an echo and everything is good. So, I try to relax and lie down when I get one plus I take an aspirin which helps.

My mother and grandmother had these migraines so I guess it is something they passed on to me, it has happened once to my daughter, I hope she will be spared.

There is also on this site a topic about people having these Auras and also AF, Carey has said that he got it after his ablation and a few others have said that as well. I will try to find that topic.

This thread has a lot of info: Aura Migraines/AFIB

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 03:32PM by Elizabeth.
February 08, 2020 03:52PM
Elizabeth
There is also on this site a topic about people having these Auras and also AF, Carey has said that he got it after his ablation and a few others have said that as well.
It seems that any cardiac procedure that involves a trans-septal puncture (as ablations do) can set you up for auras. I had a mitral valve repair that involved a trans-septal puncture and, sure enough, the auras started the next day. They diminished as the puncture healed though going from about one a day to one every two weeks, to none.
February 08, 2020 04:15PM
Daisy:

I have never had an ablation, but, you know I have had a Pace maker installed about 20 years ago and I have had more of these Aura migraines since then. Could there be a connection or is it because of my AF and family history?

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 04:16PM by Elizabeth.
February 08, 2020 05:15PM
Elizabeth
Daisy:

I have never had an ablation, but, you know I have had a Pace maker installed about 20 years ago and I have had more of these Aura migraines since then. Could there be a connection or is it because of my AF and family history?

Liz
I don't know. I had a pacemaker implanted a year and a half ago and didn't get auras, but I did get them with the trans-septal puncture. I have had the very occasional non-migraine auras for about 20 years (before Afib) but I suppose there could be a link between the tendency to get auras and a predisposition to Afib?
February 14, 2020 07:23AM
Thanks Liz

I have been suffering quite severe dizziness and nausea for some time now, so maybe it's all part of that. I see my neurologist in a few weeks so will run it all by him again.

What really frustrates me is that my GP and Er Dr suggested I may be depressed or anxious and wrote scripts for antidepressants which I declined.

I said to the Cardio in ER (not my regular guy) "of course I'm anxious and miserable with a HR of 160+ for 12 hours, and on other days so dizzy and nauseous I can't walk straight, wouldn't you be?"

I'll do a bit of reading up on the Migraine. I also think my neck may be causing some problems as I have bulging discs and bone spurs which can make me feel as if I've had a electric shock if I move my head the wrong way.
February 18, 2020 02:25PM
I developed Aura Migraines for the 1st time about 4.5 years ago 1 week after my 1st ablation. You an go find my old posts. I still have them to this day usually about 2 per month. Prior to that I was never even a headache guy and did not know the term Aura. I thought I was having a stroke on my 1st one and that sent me the the ER. All these years later, I take an Sumatriptan at 1st sign and just go on best one can.
February 20, 2020 08:16AM
I too have posted about aural migraines, pre and post ablation(s) and Watchman.

The most surprising situation for me is that last July when I switched from low dose to Eliquis to aspirin, I didn't have an episode for almost 4 months. And since then only 3.
Prior to that I went through a sort of bell curve frequency - stretches w/o, and then periods where I often had several a week. All lasting about 20 minutes.

One constant is the apparent trigger of high intensity, tightly focused light sources, many times from the sun glint off of a window or chrome bumper or similar.
February 20, 2020 03:12PM
AB Page:

Do you have a Watchman, and did you get the Aura Migraines after the Watchman was implanted?

Liz
February 22, 2020 08:44AM
I had ocular migraines before my AFIB diagnosis, but also probably had AFIB then. This is going back 10 years. After my first ablation, the frequency increased dramatically, continuing through a Watchman 18 months ago. Post Watchman they decreased in frequency. 6 months ago when i switched from Eliquis to low dose aspirin, there was a dramatic drop-off in frequency. For me, in hindsight, there appears to be a connection taking Eliquis and frequency of episodes. When on full dose Eliquis I had them most often. I don't recall with certainty, but during the time I was on full dose Eliquis and before my first ablation, I don't think I had them any more often. Just after the ablation(s).

So is it transeptal punctures and Eliquis related? Dunno.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login