Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Apple Watch - inconclusive

Posted by allofus 
Apple Watch - inconclusive
January 30, 2020 04:48PM
For those that have an Apple Watch (that can take an EKG) and have had an ablation...

Does the Apple Watch give a status of Sinus Rhythm for your EKGs?

Or do you get consistent readings of 'Inconclusive'?
Re: Apple Watch - inconclusive
January 30, 2020 07:39PM
I had successful ablation and usually get sinus rhythm on it. This summer I had a bout of tachycardia and maybe svt and watch said afib. I happened to be wearing a zio at the same time and was not in afib. Before the afib reading when my rate was feeling high it said inconclusive. Seems to say inconclusive if I’m over 100. It’s a tool to keep an eye on things, but by no means perfectly accurate. I’m highly symptomatic when in afib and can clearly feel it in my pulse so don’t need to rely on a monitor- I suspect it’s really helpful in finding afib in people who are asymptomatic and didn’t even know they had it. Not sure if that answers your question.
January 30, 2020 08:12PM
I've never used the Apple Watch but I've used a Kardia for years and it will label almost anything that isn't pristine NSR as inconclusive. In my experience, inconclusive virtually always means "not afib."

That's because they try to err on the side of being ultra-conservative and would much rather give you an inconclusive result than a false negative. False negatives would be the worst mistake they can make, so they strongly lean away from saying normal sinus unless it's 100% beyond doubt. But the reality is that afib is almost unmistakable and so if it doesn't say it's afib then it almost certainly isn't.
January 31, 2020 04:35PM
Thanks for the feedback!

90% of the time it says 'inconclusive', regardless of current heart rate. I'm very pleased whenever I get the off reading that says SR.
January 31, 2020 05:23PM
I got a few false AF reading with the Apple Watch. I compared the ecg strips to my Kardia 6L reading and sent both to my EP. The Apple Watch gave an inaccurate reading. My local EP said one reading was probably AF while natale’s NP said PVCs. Carey said PVCs.

Whatever you do, do not call up Apple support. They are trained on ending the call if you mention you have had AF. Their response was the watch is not geared to those with a history of AF and they will end the call. I tried a few times. I was in AF before my ablation for over an hour and I never got an alert or notification of such. I had set up the settings to alert me. It gave me alerts until I was foolish enough to tell apple support and then the af alert stopped appearing. I speculate they did something.
January 31, 2020 05:49PM
I haven't called Apple support. About a month or two ago when I was feeling worse, the Apple Watch did give an EKG result that it detected atrial fibrillation. This happened several times, and has since stopped. Now, I consistently get the 'inconclusive' readings. I don't think I have ever received an 'alert', this was just results of their EKG app.

That's too bad. Sorry they possibly deactivated the alert feature on your device.
January 31, 2020 08:41PM
You can set up 3 notifications alerts In settings: low HR, high HR and AF notifications. Unfortunately they don’t alert you unless your </> HR/AF has progressed for more than 30 minutes,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login