Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multaq

Posted by cirenepurzalot 
Multaq
January 29, 2020 06:09PM
Can anyone share their experiences with Multaq? Do you know if it can be used as a pill in the pocket? How effective is it versus flecainide in your opinion?
Re: Multaq
January 29, 2020 07:31PM
I've been on it twice with totally different results. The first time was prior to my Natale ablation when I had severe flutter. Multaq was totally ineffective at preventing that (but then again, so was everything else). The second time was in the month following my ablation. Natale often uses Multaq following ablations because it's kind of a light weight antiarrhythmic with few side effects that works well at keeping things calm following the procedure.

Multaq wouldn't work well as a PIP. It needs to be taken every day. It's not usually as effective as flecainide but it also comes with fewer side effects. Think of it as a light weight option for light weight afib. I would recommend at least giving it a try to almost anyone. If it doesn't work, fine, use something else, but if it does work it's a great choice. I felt absolutely zero side effects from it. No capping of my heart rate like flecainide does, no risk of pro-arrhythmic effects, no having to take a beta blocker with it, etc.
January 29, 2020 09:20PM
Thanks. The only problem is that it’s $700 for 60 pills. 😞

What do you mean by capping of your heart rate? My dr wants me to take this with metoprolol because during afib my heart is usually around 150 bpm.
January 29, 2020 10:45PM
Multaq is basically “amiodarone light”. Neither clear renally, so serum half lives (blood concentrations) are long. Multaq is way shorter than ami, though. But anything like that is “slow to build up” and “slow to break down”, so random pill-popping is going to be really ineffective. PIP anti-arrhythmics are Propafenone and flecainide if you and your doctor agree.
January 29, 2020 11:42PM
Go to their website. They give monthly $50 coupons. Better than nothing. I never paid for it when applying my copay and coupon.

Natale NP said not to take a beta blocker while on it.

My noticeable side effects were mild (when compared to flecainide). Worst itching from scalp, inside eyelids, ears to in between toes. I’ve been off it for two weeks ago yesterday and I’m not itchy. My GERD, which was bad while on Multaq has improved.

I’m not sure for me if it was effective for AF because I had a Natale ablation and (hopefully) won’t get AF. I was on it like Carey for the blanking period. My local EP thinks it contributed to my large pvc burden. my pvc are worst now being off multaq.
January 30, 2020 12:57AM
cirenepurzalot
Thanks. The only problem is that it’s $700 for 60 pills. 😞

What do you mean by capping of your heart rate? My dr wants me to take this with metoprolol because during afib my heart is usually around 150 bpm.

Yeah, price can be a problem depending on your insurance but $700/month sounds like your insurance doesn't cover it at all and you're quoting retail prices. You sure about that number?

What I meant about capping my heart rate was that with flecainide and the metoprolol prescribed with it, my heart rate was capped at about 105. So that was very limiting physically. Climbing even a modest hill on foot or bicycle will demand a heart rate higher than that, so it was frustrating. But that was me and you're not me, so it might be a totally different experience for you.
January 30, 2020 08:45AM
Thanks. Yeah Walgreens told me $700 with my “insurance discount card”

Wonder why Natalie doesn’t mix metoprolol with it. My rate usually seems high during afib so maybe that’s why I was told to take them together.
January 30, 2020 10:45AM
cirenepurzalot
Wonder why Natalie doesn’t mix metoprolol with it. My rate usually seems high during afib so maybe that’s why I was told to take them together.

Because the whole idea is the ablation and the Multaq will prevent you from going into afib in the first place, so there's no reason to add metoprolol.
January 31, 2020 08:41PM
I used it during my blanking period but at the end of the 2nd month my Dermatologist told me to go off of it as it was causing a rash around my whole middle torso and arms. While I was on it I felt like i was walking slow motion when I walked around the block but it was effective for what it was intended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 04:56PM by greyhound gal.
February 03, 2020 12:29PM
I was put on Multaq when Flecainide started to become ineffective. It worked well for me with no side effects to speak of.
I am 58 and relatively healthy otherwise. Have had two ablations. First in July 2018 was cryo PVI, the second was in Feb 2019 and was a catheter touchup. However, lately I have been having more palpitations again and am wondering if the Multaq is losing effectiveness.
Kaiser said they won't do a 3rd ablation so if it does worsen I will be pursing Natale which I wish I would have done in the first place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login