Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can either Co-Q-19, Crestor or fish oil capsules trigger PVCs?

Posted by susan.d 
Can either Co-Q-19, Crestor or fish oil capsules trigger PVCs?
December 31, 2019 11:54PM
As I posted I have over an average of 17% PVCs daily. My birthday was 27.8%.

I needed to have a functioning day yesterday so I skipped my Crestor, coQ10 and fish oil capsules at 5pm. I was great today. Nsr, I was outside scrubbing dried cement off of pavers with a wire brush, doing all sorts of actives feeling my old self.

Tonight I took the above 3 combo and by 8-3 hours later— my heart is pounding out of control.

It could be the lisinopril at 6pm. I tried stopping it a day but it didn’t change my PVCs. This Crestor combo I have experienced all the time. I try the experiment many times. I would skip the coq10 but natale suggested I take it.

Anyone with similar PVCs with the above drugs?
Re: Can either Co-Q-19, Crestor or fish oil capsules trigger PVCs?
January 01, 2020 06:02AM
Hi Susan
from my experience with fish oil and CO Q 10 they are triggering many ectopics . Hence I don't use fish oil . Sometimes I take small doses of Q10 but not regularly. I take very small doses of crestor with no problems. If I were you I would stop the two for a week and take a rest then introduce them separately and in lower doses first to discover the main trigger.
Regards.

Ben
January 01, 2020 10:28AM
Research has shown that fish oil increases Calcium absorption, and the latter may induce ectopics. Also, some large recent studies have shown that most of the claims regarding the positive impact of fish oil supplementation on a wide variety of ailments has little or no support . You might consider eating salmon a few times a week instead of the supplements to see if the ectopics subside. I can eat limited quantities of salmon but invariably get ectopics from fish oil.
January 01, 2020 11:13AM
FWIW, I consume a lot of fish oil, my doc wants me to have a high Omega 3 Index, and on my most recent test in Nov it was 14.7%. I also consume ubiquinol as it seems to keep my Lp(a) in range. Ubiquinol is the active form of CoQ10. I have very few ectopic beats. I take no meds on an ongoing basis. I also recently started consuming research grade plasmalogen a glycerophospholipid containing a fatty alcohol with a vinyl-ether bond at the sn-1 position, and enriched in polyunsaturated fatty acids at the sn-2 position of the glycerol backbone -derived from fish oil.
January 01, 2020 11:49AM
Thanks GeorgeN. I’ll still try safib approach of reintroducing the supplements as a precaution. Maybe it’s the lisinopril...my PVCs are violent in the evenings
January 01, 2020 03:08PM
susan.d
Thanks GeorgeN. I’ll still try safib approach of reintroducing the supplements as a precaution. Maybe it’s the lisinopril...my PVCs are violent in the evenings

I think that is a great approach! We are all different and different "fish oil" or CoQ10 products may react to each of us differently. I know you are sensitive to many foods & etc.

I've also had autoimmune issues since birth according to my late mother. A year ago I got a sleep tracker (Oura Ring version 2) and it showed very little deep sleep for me (0-4 minutes/night) initially. Now I'm well aware that these tracking devices aren't perfect, but according to sleep researcher, Matt Walker, at UC Berkeley, there is validity to changes reported for an individual (he mentions this one of his Peter Attia podcasts), especially when looking at data that are actually measured, such as heart rate or variability rather than the sleep interpretation. In my case, I noticed my overnight heart rate profile started high and decreased over the night. Many times being the lowest in the early morning. According to the Oura literature, this was likely because I was exercising too much too close to bed or eating too much too close to bed. I knew these were not my issues. I went for several months trying to figure out how to change this profile. According to Oura, an ideal heart rate profile looks like a wide valley with the low in the middle of the night, but pretty much a relatively flat profile rather than the "decline curve" one I had. I wondered if it was WHAT I was eating. I came across Dr. Arthur Coca's book, written in 1956. Coca's hypothesis is that a significant pulse elevation after eating would indicate a sensitivity to what you ate. Specifically he suggested measuring a one minute pulse before eating and then again at 30 and 60 minutes (or longer in some cases). If there was a greater than 6 BPM elevation, it was indicative of a sensitivity (this sensitivity would be specific to an individual). I tried this on some of my common foods - you do this initially on a mixed meal & if you see an elevation, then you have to do it on each food individually. I had some foods with non-subtle increases - 15, 20, 25 BPM elevation. So I quit eating them. I saw a fairly dramatic change in my sleep as well as heart rate profile and increases in heart rate variability. For example, in April, one day I had an average BPM over night of 63. In May, after eliminating many of the worst offenders, my BPM average overnight was 45. This is without changing exercise at all (and this remains to this day as long as I stick to not eating offending foods). Also my deep sleep as reported by the ring started going to 30, 60 or 90 minutes. Because I generally eat once a day and once I've eaten something that spikes my pulse, that is it for testing for the day, this is an ongoing project. During the holidays, we had a party and I went off my normally strict diet and ate what we had catered for the guests. My heart rate actually remained elevated above normal for several days!

In any case, you might try this with the supplements and see what happens and if you learn anything.
January 01, 2020 03:13PM
I've taken generous doses Omega 3's for many years...cut back slightly when I started Eliquis but have never noted a correlation or provocation of Afib. As George notes, I also use CoQ10 to ensure mitochondrial function as I age.

Consider that there can be impurities or residues in some brands of fish oil along with a potential for rancidity. Contaminants such as mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and lead can be in the source waters from which the fish are harvested for the production of fish oil. PCBs are also a potential contaminant.

The good news is, there are many brands reliable for purity and they are typically more costly.

Jackie
Joe
January 01, 2020 05:36PM
Can recommend Arthur Coca's book George mentioned. Simple, effective and reliable and cheap to do.
Finding the discipline to act upon the BPM results is another story. Often (in my case) it's food i actually like.

Appreciate the reminder George and the added bonus news re sleepthumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2020 09:19PM by Joe.
January 04, 2020 11:21PM
There are at least a couple of recent-ish studies showing a U-shaped curve for doses of Omega-3 vs afib, with an optimum at ~0.6 gms/day.

Here is a para from my most recent update, on my website carrafibdietinfo.com that details my own successful complete elimination of afib and ectopics without ablation or medication :

Regarding omega-3 fats, which health-conscious people often go out of their way to consume, the following is worth noting: the optimum daily intake to minimise afib occurrence has been reported to be approximately 0.6 gms/day of long-chain omega-3 fats ("DHA+EPA", or "n-3 PUFA"), with greater occurrence of afib at both higher and lower daily intakes than this amount. [20, 21] My egg intake and 400gms of Australian range-fed meat are said to provide 0.6 gms (no great surprise really, since consuming them is intended to closely imitate a diet I consider to be the most likely "universal" type of ancestral, "Palaeo" diet that most of us are genetically adapted to), so I take no omega-3 supplement and rarely consume much seafood. The omega-3 contents of eggs and meats will differ in other countries with different animal husbandry practices (feeding practices), such as the USA, so there is a need to review one's own total omega-3 intake accordingly.

I've actually just slightly reduced my egg intake, and replaced the reduction with just 30gms of cooked mussel meat per day (calculated, in fact, to maintain my Omega-3 at the 0.6 gms/day level, plus maintain iodine too), so that para is slightly dated, but the gist is exactly the same.

Here are the references 20 and 21 referred to in that para (these aren't links, but they can easily be found) :

[20] Rix, T.A., Joensen, A.M., Lundbye-Christensen, S., Riahi, S., Schmidt, E.B., Overvad, K. (2013). Moderate consumption of marine n-3 fatty acids is associated with a lower risk of atrial fibrillation—a cohort study (Abstract). Europace 2013; 15 (S2), S84.​

[21] Metcalf, R.G., Skuladottir, G.V., Indridason, O.S., Sullivan, T.R., Bjorgvinsdottir, L., Sanders, P., Arnar, D.O., Gibson, R.A., Heidarsdottir, R., Cleland, L.G., et al. U-shaped relationship between tissue docosahexaenoic acid and atrial fibrillation following cardiac surgery. Metaanal. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 2014, 68, 114–118.
January 05, 2020 02:07AM
Well maybe I was taking too much fish oil. I take 2 capsules at once, each 782mg. But I eat fish 5-7 times a week. Today twice. I love certified mercury free salmon packs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login