Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

excellent health even in AF

Posted by Elizabeth 
excellent health even in AF
December 13, 2019 02:50PM
Gee, didn't know that being in AF classifies a person as being in excellent health. Evidently he didn't have an ablation.

Doctor says Michael Bloomberg is in ‘outstanding health,’ notes treatment for irregular heartbeat
Michael Bloomberg
Michael Bloomberg, shown in October 2018, is “a 77-year-old man in outstanding health,” his doctor wrote in a letter released Thursday.(Bill Pugliano / Getty Images)

By Associated Press

Dec. 12, 2019 |3:27 PM

NEW YORK — Michael R. Bloomberg’s doctor says the Democratic presidential candidate is in “outstanding health,” but notes in a letter released Thursday that the 77-year-old is receiving treatment for several medical conditions, including an irregular heartbeat.

Bloomberg takes a beta blocker and medication to control his cholesterol, Dr. Stephen D. Sisson wrote, adding that he had “small skin cancers” removed and receives treatment for arthritis and heartburn, “both of which are well controlled.” The report also notes that Bloomberg had a stent put in his heart to clear an artery in 2000 and “has had normal cardiac stress testing annually since then.”

“Mr. Bloomberg is a 77-year-old man in outstanding health. There are no medical concerns, present or looming, that would prevent him from serving as President of the United States,” wrote Sisson, a professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, where the billionaire has been treated for years.

Last year, Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York City, developed an “atrial fibrillation,” a type of irregular heartbeat that can increase the risk of stroke or a blood clot, for which he takes a blood thinner, Sisson said.
Re: excellent health even in AF
December 16, 2019 01:25PM
Gosh, Id hate the see the bad health report!
Great spin from the camp.
And Bernie didnt have a heart attack until a week after the stent report.
December 17, 2019 06:14PM
Well, here is another one---I never dreamed that I was in such excellent health with AF, I wonder if that makes you all with Afib feel so much better, heck, we should be running for president, maybe that is a requirement. What is a non-valvular Afib, is that better than what most of us have?

Biden "is a healthy, vigorous, 77-year-old male, who is fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency," O'Connor, currently director of executive medicine at The GW Medical Faculty Associates, said in a three-page letter.

He said Biden is being treated for non-valvular atrial fibrillation (A-fib), hyperlipidemia, gastro-esophageal reflux and seasonal allergies.

To all my healthy, vigorous Afibbers.
Liz
December 17, 2019 07:11PM
Elizabeth
What is a non-valvular Afib, is that better than what most of us have?
That is what most of us have. It is the garden variety.
December 17, 2019 09:01PM
The medical reports for both men actually are quite positive for men their age. They both have pretty routine stuff for people their age and they're both receiving proper care, so no big deal.

Afib that's being properly treated doesn't make you "unhealthy" or limit your lifespan. With routine medical care people with afib live just as long as anyone else. If there's anything people reading this forum should understand, it's that.
December 17, 2019 09:18PM
Carey:

I only know that now that I am in permanent AF I am not as strong and get tried quicker--if you think that is positive then why did you opt for 6 ablations? I would never want a person that is in permanent AF to run this great country. Sorry I will say no more.

Liz
December 17, 2019 10:13PM
Ooh, slippery slope here...

In addition to the donation link mentioned in the other thread, I’d like one that sends more vodka to Putin. Or French wine to Xi.

Signing off now. Promise!

cool smiley
December 18, 2019 12:38AM
Elizabeth
I only know that now that I am in permanent AF I am not as strong and get tried quicker--if you think that is positive then why did you opt for 6 ablations? I would never want a person that is in permanent AF to run this great country. Sorry I will say no more.

I didn't say being in afib was a positive. Having afib doesn't detract from a person's ability to do a job and do it well as long as they get proper care. Please don't be telling people that. There are hundreds of people reading this and many of them are new to afib, scared, and just trying to learn what the facts are. Don't tell them they're facing failure.

And you do realize that a bunch of presidents and vice presidents of this country have had afib, right? Oh heck, never mind afib, look up what an LVAD is. A recent sitting VP had (and still has) one of those, and that's about as serious as a heart problem gets. If you need an LVAD, you need a heart transplant. And every prez and VP I can think of who had afib was a staunch conservative, so if you're going political with this as it seems, then just don't. There's no room for politics here.
December 18, 2019 04:46AM
When I read this Thread I did not get the idea at all that Liz was trying get Political, as far as Left vs Right, of Liberal vs Conservative, etc.

As far as these Candidates releasing a letter from their Doctors, it only says so much, as the Candidate in question is probably approving what is said in the letter. If they actually released all of their Medical Records then that would much more definitive.

I would doubt that Bloomberg is actually in Permanent AFIB, sounds like the Dr's gave give the standard Drug regimen, of Beta-Blockers and Blood Thinners. Sounds like he has Lone Atrial Fibrillation. Lets hope that he does not have Vagally-Mediated LAF, as is receiving the Contra-Indicated Beta-Blockers for this condition.
December 18, 2019 08:34AM
I am "A" political for the most part but dont like spin for any party affiliation. There seems to be a higher than usual number of Q-tips in the races this year and the interest for medical history is high for good reason. I guess the word "outstanding" for someone who had a heart attack and stents installed seemed a bit embellished.
December 20, 2019 11:10AM
From my experience with having Persistent AFIB, I would not even consider running for Alderman of my small town much less The Leader of the Free World. I am not trying to scare anyone but when I saw 218 bpm and the way I always felt drained etc.
I had 6 ECV,s in 2 years and spent many days in the Hospital.
After my 2nd Ablation in mid 2016, I have been doing good.
December 22, 2019 04:20PM
I remember reading an article written by a physician who speculated that Hillary Clinton left the 9/11 memorial event because of an Afib episode.

At the time, I had not been diagnosed with it, so I really had no knowledge of it.

Knowing what I know now, I could see why he would say that.

(Not getting political winking smiley)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login