Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

13 Year Anniversary

Posted by Ken 
Ken
13 Year Anniversary
November 01, 2019 09:57AM
I have my 13-year ablation anniversary this month. Here is my story, plus it’s worth noting that I didn’t find this website until after my ablation.
74 years old; excellent physical condition; 6', 166 lbs; 11 years of LAF, the first 5 years misdiagnosed as an “irregular heart rate due to mitral valve prolapse”. I was on meds for the last 6 years after diagnosis; averaged 33 episodes per year for those 6 years (documented when and how long they lasted). The episodes ranged from a few minutes to 72 hrs (average time per episode was about 10 hrs). Converted only once at the hospital, but after that visit, my Dr. said that since I was so healthy, staying in afib would not be an issue, plus I always converted back on my own.

The only trigger I suspected was more than one alcoholic drink, which could have been related to dehydration more than the alcohol itself. One drink was never an issue. The vast majority of episodes that occurred were unrelated to alcohol.
For the last 6 years of my afib, I was on Plavix 75 mg; Toprol XL 25 mg; Norpace CR 200 mg twice a day. With this combination of meds, I lead a normal life 99.9% of the time. It was typical to not notice I was in a-fib, unless going up a flight of stairs. I always knew when I was in a-fib, but could ignore it most of the time. The Plavix was prescribed because of the risk of bleeding instead of Warfarin with my active lifestyle, plus my CHAD score was 0.

Ablated in November '06 (over 60 "burns" in the left atrium). I had been postponing extensive hiking trips and vacations because of the afib and finally decided it was time. The summer after the ablation, my wife and I spent 7 days hiking in the Dolomites in northern Italy.

Stopped all meds at ablation and was put on Warfarin for 4 weeks post ablation, but NO other meds. No a-fib period, during the blanking period and for the next four years.

Returned to normal activity two days after ablation. No pain or discomfort, just lots of bruising.

Returned to normal exercise 4 weeks post ablation. Felt like I could have started working out the day after the ablation, but decided it was wise to follow the Dr's advice.

While exercising, I reached my anaerobic threshold much quicker than pre-ablation (reduced atrial function from ablation trauma). This steadily improved during the first year, then leveled off to what I would consider normal. I do weight workouts twice a week, golf twice a week, windsurfing (40+ days a year) and walking 3-4 times a week. I pay close attention to staying hydrated while exercising and drink 20oz of G2 (plus a lot of water) when sweating profusely.

Resting heart rate was in the 50's pre-ablation while on meds.

Resting heart rate for three months post ablation - 70's.

Resting heart rate for 4 years post ablation – 60's.

Resting heart rate now - upper 50’s/lower 60’s.

Four returning episodes of A-fib since ablation – Aug. 2010, Aug. 2012, Oct. 2018 & Sept. 2019. Lasted 2 hours one morning, 4 hours one night, 2 hours late morning while windsurfing and 2+ hours one evening (stopped sometime during sleep). Felt like A-fib, but heart rate was only in the 80's! Not totally sure what it was since my heart rate was 180 while in afib prior to going on meds.

Post ablation – Infrequent ectopics? for 2 to 4 second, maybe twice a month. Usually the precursor to an A-fib episode pre-ablation, but just subside. By the time I get to my pulse, it's gone. After finding this forum, I began taking Taurine, Magnesium and Potassium daily. My ectopics have for the most part been eliminated in the last few years as I have upped the dosage, but still below what is recommended here. I try to eat a diet high in Magnesium and Potassium, but nothing special beyond that. I have a cup (16 oz) of caffeinated coffee, blue berries, a few ounces of mixed nuts, glass of red wine and a small amount of dark chocolate, and ice cream daily. In addition to the A-Fib supplements, I only take a multi-vitamin and an extra 2000 mg of vitamin D. NO prescription meds.

No history of A-Fib in my family, but extensive endurance training may be a cause. I was a competitive swimmer at the highest level for several years, including the Olympics in 1968.

Overall, my ablation experience couldn't have been better. I believe a high level of fitness greatly reduces the impact of afib on one’s lifestyle.

Ablation done by Dr. Kevin R. Wheelan - Baylor Med. Center, Heart Place, Dallas, TX

Keeping my fingers crossed for “one and done”. Good luck to all in the same boat.
Re: 13 Year Anniversary
November 01, 2019 11:53AM
Congratulations Ken!! Hope your continued success carries on.
November 01, 2019 12:44PM
Great !
November 01, 2019 01:25PM
Wonderful Ken!!
November 01, 2019 03:28PM
Great write-up Ken and good to read. Many congrats and long may it last!
Joe
November 01, 2019 05:29PM
Like your good news, Ken.smileys with beer
November 02, 2019 07:56AM
Congratulations Ken. Here's to a lifetime of NSR. And we have an Olympian too, very impressive.
November 02, 2019 02:06PM
Congratulations on 13 years Ken. I did a bit of googling and was very impressed - congratulations on that too!

Gill
November 02, 2019 02:26PM
Great to hear as usual Ken! I always look forward to your reports each year. Dr Wheelan did an excellent job for you ... and you did an excellent job for him too ... as well as for yourself, by your dedication to a robust but not overly aggressive fitness program as well as paying attention to those steps you found important in your experience.

A perfect example of our Afibbers.org creed ... combine smart life-style risk reduction and dedicated fitness early on, plus adding in an expert ablation process, when needed, at the right time, be it a ‘one and done’, possibly needing two trips to the EP lab, or less often a 3rd procedure needed with a highly experienced operator running the show.

Cheers Ken, and many thanks for your consistent contributions!
Shannon
Ken
November 03, 2019 10:35AM
Thanks gang for the positive comments.

One big issue for those seeking an ablation is finding someone that is really good at the procedure. While Natalie gets high praise and is likely deserved, it's a shame that others that are as good or possible better are rarely, if ever identified. Likely because it's next to impossible to research who is the best around other than word of mouth or by visiting this web site. My wife was in the medical field her entire career, including a Hospital VP as well as managing the largest imaging center in the southwest. This gave her access to many Doctors who were willing to share their knowledge about who was the best in town for whatever procedure was needed. That's how I found Dr. Wheelan.

To be fair, I don't know how my doctor, Kevin Wheelan compares to Natalie since I am the only one acknowledging his/my success. This is where other stories of success with other doctors would be helpful for those on this web site that are looking for the best doctor around. Not everyone can, or will go to Natalie.
November 03, 2019 03:40PM
Congratulations on the 13 year anniversary. You must have competed with Mark Spitz (who also has Afib).
Ken
November 04, 2019 10:12AM
Yes, Spitz was the '68 team as a high school kid where he won 2 gold medals on relays. His big show was in '72 in Munich where he won the 7 gold medals.
November 10, 2019 12:35PM
Thanks for your update Ken. I always found you to be an inspiration. I had my ablation with Richard Hongo on 7/19/18 in San Francisco, with a followup cardioversion on 8/13/18. I recall Dr Hongo showing up personally to instruct the technician on exactly where to place the pads and what voltage to use (only once). It was a long and thorough procedure, given I had been in persistent for a year. I've been regular ever since, with no events. My running is up to a few miles a day, which includes uphills. Also do weights and yoga. I take 6.25 mg Carvedilol once in the evening (probably doesn't do anything, but just in case it helps). I've stayed on Warfaren as a precaution, keeping my INR about 2.0 (I'm 71). I never had any side effects. I have always maintained a healthy lifestyle, and work full time. I continue to take Magnesium powder and Taurine, in addition to MK7 (thanks to Jackie, etc, for the advice). Best wishes to all! I agree that the board can get rigid at times regarding medications and treatment providers (there's only one). Dr. Hongo worked under Dr. Natalie, so I guess he's acceptable, although some don't feel he works enough hours smiling smiley
Ken
November 11, 2019 10:12AM
After being persistent for a year, things are looking pretty good for you. Hopefully it will continue.
November 13, 2019 11:00AM
Ken
Yes, Spitz was the '68 team as a high school kid where he won 2 gold medals on relays. His big show was in '72 in Munich where he won the 7 gold medals.

My BIL competed with him in college. He claims Spitz beat him by a millisecond winking smiley
November 15, 2019 08:19AM
Ken,

Your story is truly inspirational and I can only hope and pray that if I go down the ablation route that I have similar outcomes to yours. Your positive attitude and perseverance through it all has been great to read.

Patrick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login