Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I wouldn't give you the time of day

Posted by wwoofbum 
I wouldn't give you the time of day
October 31, 2019 10:08AM
Lots of interesting responses to my Heart/Stomach post...Thank you. Now, on to...

What time of day do your episodes usually begin?

Since the first one, about 10 years ago, my episodes almost always start in the late afternoon/early evening - roughly between 5 and 7pm. I had been taking my 50 mg metoprolol succinate (the extended release version) at night, around bedtime (which for me is 8 or 9p), More recently I've been dividing my dose, half at night, half in the morning, which seems to have had some effect on the issue I'm about to describe.

During the mornings, and early afternoon, I observe that my heart rate tends to be (at least, to my perception) on the low side - 70s/80s. I take regular walks (up to 2 miles or so) during the course of the day, and, while I don't feel debilitated, it does seem to me that my heart rate doesn't correspond to the effort I am exerting on my walks.

On the other hand, in the late afternoon/early evening, I observe that my heart rate, while sitting (e.g. reading the news on my laptop), will run up in the high 80s/low 90s. Getting up and moving around (just walking around the house) will slow my heart rate. Sit down again, up it goes.

And, as I said, then my episodes start - not with a bang, but with a whimper. I'll be sitting there, get that slight feeling in my tummy, check my pulse, and, sure enough, afib. It seems to me that the elevated heart rate in the afternoon is the perfect environment for whatever other stimulus might be present to trigger an episode. Can you say "adrenergic."

A related (I think) observation - my episodes consistently last about 12 hours (10-14). So, if they start (as they so often do) around 6p, they will terminate around 6 or 7a the next morning, whether I am sitting quietly, or in the middle of my first walk of the day. Any insights on what else might be occurring on a 12 hour schedule? Digestion? Electrolyte repletion? Gremlin?

As I said in my Heart/Stomach post, I'm interested in hearing from others with similar experience, and strategies for dealing...
Re: I wouldn't give you the time of day
October 31, 2019 07:45PM
Once my AFIB started, It NEVER left without CARDIOVERSION. Now maybe I was bouncing in and out of AFIB and ignored it but the previous years before 2011 I had several RF burnings on my nerve endings due to a back injury and never once was I in AFIB.
October 31, 2019 10:26PM
Wwolfbum
Same with me in 2004. After dinner I would sit on the couch and watch TV. Bam..AF. I found if I slouchEd I would get AF more often. I started eating smaller meals and nothing after 6. It helped.

You mentioned adrenergic..I would be sitting thinking when will my AF start and it would start. Once my HR would increase I would go into AF.

Have you considered asking about a beta blocker to lower your HR? It helped me in 2004. Flecainide and Tenormin stopped AF for 5 years.
November 10, 2019 09:04AM
Definitely gut related for me, I find sometimes I have days where I crave more food than normal, and especially sugar. I can almost guarantee I will get an episode of AF. I am normally a very health eater, vegetarian, and well nourished.
I’m not sure if the it’s the imminent AF episode that causes the craving or the other way around. Episodes are hard work, lasting long hours with very high HR 160+, chest pain nausea and dizziness.
Food and eating has been a trigger for a long time and especially doing anything physical after eating.

Shannon, the Dementia possibility is a concern. I’ve noticed as I’ve got older that I’m really washed out and a bit brain dead after an episode. It’s something I’ve been concerned about for sometime. I’m trying hard to keep my brain ‘well’ but it is a scary thing to contemplate.

Carey, I totally agree with your comments regarding some in the medical profession. There are some really good ones out there and there are some who don’t really have a clue regarding the difficulties and quality of life issues associated with this condition.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login