Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are there 'right' amounts of Mg, Taurine, L-Arginine to supplement?

Posted by DavrosT 
Are there 'right' amounts of Mg, Taurine, L-Arginine to supplement?
July 30, 2019 06:48AM
Hi guys, that's basically my question.

I'm currently supplementing 500mg Mg, 2000mg Taurine and L-arginine each per day at the moment. I also take Vit D (as I'm in the UK, we need it! haha), and occasionally I'll add in potassium.

But I've been suffering with chronic ectopics for months now. I'm not sure of the cause, because they change so often. They are usually worse at night, and last night was awful. They kept waking me up, felt like a mule was kicking in my chest. But during the day it barely feels like a flutter.

I should point out, I'm simply supplementing magnesium, not citrate or tartrate. Should I be taking one of the other instead?

Also, I'm going through a lot of 'other' health issues at the moment, I've got a terrible breathing issue that's 24/7 that none of my Dr's can explain so it has clearly added to my stress and I know that stress can deplete magnesium. Should I up my dose?

Appreciate all of your advice guys, thanks again.
Re: Are there 'right' amounts of Mg, Taurine, L-Arginine to supplement?
August 05, 2019 12:00PM
Hi DavrosT

I used to get many many ectopics post ablation and they were very uncomfortable, like being kicked in the chest just as you describe. I experimented with supplements, starting with magnesium, then added taurine, then potassium. I still get just as many but I hardly notice them.

Now I make my 'potion' every day - here is the recipe. But do remember that everyone is different so you would have to experiment to get exactly the right mixture for you.

5 slightly heaped teaspoons Now brand potassium gluconate powder
½ to ¾ teaspoon taurine powder (from Amazon UK)
2 level teaspoons D-Ribose powder (from Amazon UK)
About 10 fluid oz Waller Water concentrate - amount adjusted each day to bowel tolerance. Can give you the recipe for Waller Water if you can’t find it on the forum.

I mix these together and make sure the powders have dissolved then add 3 - 4 tablespoons Honegar (from Holland & Barrett - I buy lots when it’s on special offer)

I also take the following each day, washed down with potion:

3 capsules Doctor's Best nattokinase (from USA)
Glucosamine Chondroitin (Meijer's own brand from USA because it’s a tiny, easy to swallow, caplet with a much higher dose than in UK)
3 tablets Country Life brand Chelated Magnesium (from USA)
Fish oil, don’t mind which brand or type of oil. I get it from USA because amount of omega3 is much higher than in UK brands, so don’t need to take more than 1 capsule.

All the supplements I get from USA are higher dose and much cheaper (before the pound collapsed) than those available in UK. I am lucky in that I have a daughter who lives in Michigan - I stock up whenever I visit her, or when she comes to visit me. And if friends from the US come to visit I send them a shopping list!

Hope this helps.

Gill (female, pronounced 'Jill', in UK)
August 14, 2019 05:15AM
Hi Gill,

Thank you for responding!

I'm sorry I've only just replied, I didn't think this was going to get a response so I stopped checking back haha

I will take a good look at your reply when I get back later and thanks again.

Dave
August 18, 2019 01:02PM
Hi Davros T some of the supplements you mentioned are natural blood thinners. I was wondering if you take a medically prescribed blood thinner as well.
August 19, 2019 08:31AM
Hi, I don't take any blood thinners now. Only medications I take are ramipril and omeprazole.

I supplement magnesium, l-arginine, taurine and occasionally potassium and vitamin D!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login