Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best way to transition if pssbl from medication (some or all) to supplements

Posted by LaDonna 
Best way to transition if pssbl from medication (some or all) to supplements
July 09, 2019 08:08PM
Good evening! and thanks for any help or advice regarding my topic. Know that I am under the care of physicians and am seeking their help but I thought that this might be something that others here may have done or tried to do, so I thought i would ask. A little bit abt my afib experience would be this. I had a lone episode abt 5 years ago (I would have been about 45 at the time). I was on one standard aspirin a day for thinning but that was all (heart healthy) and eventually I switched over to curcumin for the thinning as well as other benefits. Fast forward 5 yrs and no events, before Christmas I was told I had breast cancer and am currently going thru treatment, my chemo ended bout 5 weeks ago. When I was on chemo at abt the 4th treatment, a Thurs night, I went into afib out of nowhere, my treatments are on Mondays. At the hospital I was cardioverted back into rythm. Following week to the day almost the hour, Thursday evening, same thing, following week, Wed night, same thing,all 3 times being zapped back into rythm. Finally saw a heart rythm doc and he put me on flecianide,metoprolol, and eliquis for the remaining chemo to keep me out of the emergency room. With that, I have discussed with him the fact that if possible, I would like to wean off meds and he agreed to "trying that" after we make sure radiation isn't going to trigger an episode. My question is this. For those who started on meds for help. I have considered trying to add magnesium, taurine and possbly potassium supplements in hopes that they will help me stay in rythm without the meds. I am curious if I should start taking those before I start weaning from the meds or wait till after? I am thinking before as that will put them already benefiting my system and hopefully make the transition smoother aka no afib episodessmiling smiley, and then, hoping I wont need it, but having the flecianinde as a pill in pocket if I were to need it. Has anyone else been able to transition from meds to supplements succsessfully? I am thinking that in my case, the chemo was just stressing my body to the point that the afib started acting up. Could be hormones, I am 50 so things areup and down Im sure at this point. Hoping that once cancer treatment is over, I might be able to build my poor body back up again with eating well and supplements. hope I am communicating my thoughts well, blessings everyone and thank you!
Re: Best way to transition if pssbl from medication (some or all) to supplements
July 10, 2019 04:14PM
LaDonna
. I am curious if I should start taking those before I start weaning from the meds or wait till after?

You should start before you wean off the meds. If the chemo or other cancer treatment is the cause of your afib recurrence, even in their absence, your heart is now more likely to go into afib. This is due to both electrical and physical remodeling. Assuming your meds are keeping the heart in line, then you want whatever you try for supplements in full force before you reduce the meds.

Cheers,

George
Re: Best way to transition if pssbl from medication (some or all) to supplements
July 10, 2019 10:05PM
LaDonna:

I was in the waiting room of my doctor (ear, nose and throat), I get a buildup of ear wax which plugs my ears and he takes the earwax out. I started talking to the lady next to me and in the course of our conversation she told me that she was in permanent AF because of a med. that she takes for her cancer. The med. caused her AF. I think we are prone to getting AF from some meds, I got AF from taking too much thyroid hormone, who knows, a lot of older people take many meds for their BP, maybe that leads to AF.
July 17, 2019 06:12PM
George and Elizabeth, thank you both for your thoughts and comments. George, I was thinking along the same line as you said about starting before going off meds, and I got the ok from the doctor (even though they think I'm wasting time). Praying and hoping for the best regarding supplements!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login