Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Pre-ablation Apixaban to get rid of any possible thrombus - does it work for everyone?
July 15, 2018 03:38PM
Hi all,

I’m currently taking Apixaban prior to ablation (by Prof. Jais at Bordeaux) in another 5 weeks (been on it for 3 weeks so far). With warfarin my INR would be monitored and kept between 2 and 3. But apparently no such need with Apixaban.....so how do I know it’s working for me? I’m 220 pounds and 6’ 4” and take the usual 5mg BID. I’ll be having a TEE in the morning with the ablation in the afternoon, and I really don’t want to fail the TEE! That said, my last AF was 6 weeks ago and lasted just 2 1/2 hours, so I don’t consider myself at much of a risk of having a LAA thrombus on TEE. Nonetheless I do find myself wondering....without monitoring how do I know that Apixaban is working for me? Particularly given I’m a big bloke just on a normal dose. I certainly don’t notice any increased bleeding or bruising. Or - as usual - am I just overthinking this!

Any views most welcome!

Cheers,

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 03:40PM by mwcf.
<[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] Laboratory Measurement of the Anticoagulant Activity of the Target-specific Oral Anticoagulant Agents: A Systematic Review
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login