Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Propafenone Withdrawl

Posted by GregB 
Propafenone Withdrawl
March 30, 2018 03:45AM
I recently had a second PVI Ablation and have been instructed to stop Propafenone after 6 weeks. Everything has gone well since the ablation except trying to get off of this drug I have been taking for about the last twelve years. I tried at 6 weeks and after a couple of days of weaning off felt some strange things going on with my heart so I went back to full dose 3 x 150 mg per day. Started weaning again slower and over a couple of week got down to half a pill per day. At that point started feeling light headed, dizzy and short of breath. Also experienced gastro issues. Spoke with a few pharmacist and most of them can't really tell you much about the withdrawal symptoms. I was hoping someone on this forum has experienced this before and maybe has some information. Also saw a GP a few weeks ago for an unrelated issue but mentioned I was on Xaralto and also told him I was taking Propafenone and he said we don't like to use that drug anymore. I understand that it is a strong drug but did seem to work for me well for several years until my episodes started to increase to 1-2 per month. I also am on a 2.5 mg of bisoprolol. I have a follow up with my EP in another month and hope to stop all of these meds at that point. Any comments would be appreciated.
Greg B
Re: Propafenone Withdrawl
March 30, 2018 12:17PM
Hello Greg - I have very limited experience with propafenone as I wasn't able to tolerate it... but I wanted to comment that often when stopping a med you've used for quite some time and you have negative experiences with stopping abruptly, it can be helpful to slowly reduce the dose by shaving the tablet or emptying the capsule and removing small portions so you are continuing to reduce the amount over time but slowly so your body can adjust to less and less.

Hopefully, you will be able to get off all meds and if the EP directs that, then be sure to ask how to manage the withdrawal symptoms or rebound effect.

Let us know what you learn.
Be well,
Jackie
March 30, 2018 02:08PM
Propafenone can come in an extended release tablet, in which case breaking it is a BAD idea. You can usually tell which one you are on by the daily dosing. 2x/day is the extended release (Rythmol XR I believe) and 3x/day is the "normal" release formulation.

I was on propafenone for about 3 months prior to my ablation (first the "normal", then switched to the XR). I did notice that when stopping it, I would have a "rebound" effect where AF would almost certainly come back after about 2 days and fail to convert on its own. The first time I stopped it was to switch from the normal release to the XR. AF came back and didn't go away until I started the new dose. The second time I stopped it, of course, was for my ablation so that stopped the AF.
March 30, 2018 08:25PM
Hi Jackie, do you remember how you felt when you did try propafenone? Just curious because I have tolerated it so well for so long and I guess I didn't expect any issues. I will contact my EP after the weekend and ask for his direction. Took an extra half a pill yesterday and today and the symptoms I was having are easing.
Thanks Jackie.
Greg
March 30, 2018 08:31PM
Hi Wolfpack, thanks for the comments. I am in Canada and unfortunately we can't get the XR here. I wish we could because I did want to try it.
Thanks
Greg
March 31, 2018 08:39AM
It was 3 years ago for me, but Rhythmol XR was still covered by patent so it cost me something like $100 out of pocket. Fortunately I only had to fill it twice. That should be changing soon if it hasn't already. Certainly check with your insurance or pharmacy if you find yourself paying high out of pocket costs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login