Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

thyroid lab results

Posted by anneh 
thyroid lab results
March 29, 2018 09:33PM
I have Hashimotos low thyroid and take Levothyroxine 50mcgs once a day. Last year I stopped adding the compounded T3 in case it caused more afibs and saved myself a bunch of money as my results have been the same without it. I see an integrative dr and recently had lab work done. My TSH is high 4.91 (0.40-4.50) but my T3 is good 2.4 (2.3-4.2). Now the dr is wanting to prescribe T3 again as he said it will help my TSH. Personally wondering if I should just up the Levo instead, just curious if anyone else with afib has experience with this, I certainly don't want the TSH to go any higher sad smiley TIA anne h
Sam
Re: thyroid lab results
March 30, 2018 06:45AM
My TSH was up to 9.7. I stopped eating anything with Gluten in it and the figure returned to normal in six weeks.
March 30, 2018 09:56AM
Sam
My TSH was up to 9.7. I stopped eating anything with gluten in it and the figure returned to normal in six weeks.

thanks., that is interesting. I am gluten free (altho maybe every couple weeks may have a sandwich but will stop doing that) on a plant based diet
March 30, 2018 12:12PM
Anne - One of the very knowledgeable and very well recognized and respected functional medicine type practitioners on thyroid issues is Dr. Nikolas Hedberg… Just received his latest newsletter/email…regarding Hashimoto’s … go here:
[drhedberg.com] - first check the About Tab so you can review his credentials.

Dr. Hedberg’s website has an abundance of reports on thyroid problems and there are also many informative podcasts where he explains testing, treatments and caveats for treating.

Additionally, at this link…. the RH column lists other topics and several list Hashimotos…
[drhedberg.com]

Note references to Izabella Wentz, PharmD, FASCP as she is very active with info on Hashimotos treatments and follow the links to her very informative website as well.

And, Anne - on the gluten issue... you have to be very strict and be aware of the many ways you can be exposed to gluten and the other related peptides such as gliaden and avoid completely. The expert in this area is Dr. Tom O'Bryan... check the links at this report [thedr.com]

Here's a clip

Gluten Sensitivity is a systemic autoimmune disease with diverse manifestations12.
Celiac Disease, or gluten -sensitive enteropathy, is only one aspect of a range
of possible manifestations of gluten sensitivity. And yet, this enteropathy,
‘one of the most common lifelong disorders in both the U.S. and Europe13,
receives the lion-share of focus to the point of ignoring other manifestations.

Auto-immune disease, the 3rd leading cause of Morbidity and Mortality in the industrialized world 14,
is ten times more common in a gluten sensitive enteropathy than in the general population.15
The correlation is undeniable . The exact mechanisms of how this correlation manifests is being
heavily investigated. But we can say with a good deal of research behind us, that the toxic
peptides of gluten may act as a trigger in the development of the auto-immune mechanism
(the immune system attacking our own tissues).

But traditionally, doctors do not recognize this connection and wait for the accumulated
damage from the immune system attacking our tissue (our thyroid, or our brains, or our
skin, or...), they wait until the damage is extensive enough that there are obvious symptoms,
and then we receive a diagnosis of an auto-immune disease (Celiac Disease, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis,
Type 1 Diabetes, Systemic Lupus, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Inflammatory Skin Diseases, ....)16

Thus, the burden on society from Gluten Sensitivity cannot be overestimated. Earlier identification
might result in earlier treatment, better quality of life and an improved prognosis for these
patients.17 (end quote)

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login