Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Watchman device insurance approval

Posted by gmperf 
Watchman device insurance approval
March 27, 2018 01:40PM
I met with Dr Natale about the Watchman device.
He thought it would be good for me.
He said they would try to get insurance approval.
I have Aetna in California, PPO group plan.
Insurance considers the Watchman experimental and nvestigational.
They will only approve under strict criteria, which includes being in a study.
So it looks like this option is out.

Funny, on Aetna’s policy statement that was updated this year, they seem to quote research that show the Watchman is an effective device. At least that is how I read it.
Re: Watchman device insurance approval
March 27, 2018 02:30PM
May I ask why you want the Watchman Device? I also am interested in this device, I get episodes of AF a little more often now, I have had problems with a blood thinner in the past and just take aspirin now. I am in my early 80s and to get an ablation now could also include 2 or 3 plus maybe having to go on permanent blood thinner anyway. So, why go through all of that, why not just get the watchman device and not have to worry about taking a blood thinner for stroke prevention. I should have had an ablation years ago as I have had AF episodes for around 20 years, they weren't too often in the early years and ablations weren't necessarily all that safe, also I did not know about DR. Natalie in the early years.

Liz
April 01, 2018 10:27PM
I want the Watchman device because I believe it is a better alternative than life long blood thinner medication.

Your particular situation would probably benefit because you are only on asprin.
If you are a relatively healthy 80 year old, an ablation from Dr Natale may be all you would need to stop the afib.
April 01, 2018 10:59PM
Closing off the LAA with the watchman device, will that affect the pumping ability of the heart. Yes I am in pretty good shape, but an ablation doesn't mean that you won't need any blood thinners, many still have to be on them and I can't take blood thinners, I have had problems when I was on Coumadin.

Liz
May 12, 2018 04:38PM
There is another approach to the LAA. It is rather recent. It is tying off the LAA from the outside. It involves coming from the left side through the ribs.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[circep.ahajournals.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 04:54PM by alxndr01.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login