Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cost of Ablation with Dr Sabine Ernst

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Cost of Ablation with Dr Sabine Ernst
March 27, 2018 10:39AM
It seems to be very difficult getting costs of an Ablation in the U.K.

I phoned her PA but the best I could get was around £11,000 or £12,000 charged by the Hospital and not even an estimate of how much the Doctor's fee would be. Just that it would depend on the complexity of the operation.

Did anyone else get a more definite figure? Has anyone else had an Ablation here and can tell me exactly what it cost them and who did the operation?

Incidentally Dr Schilling in London is highly regarded but I get the impression from reading about him that he does just a PVI and then will address other parts of the heart if that doesn't work.
Thanks
Sam
Re: Cost of Ablation with Dr Sabine Ernst
March 27, 2018 12:42PM
Hi Sam,

I'll be meeting with Sabine Ernst for a private consult in 12 days time and will keep you posted as to costs.

With Prof. Schilling it seems to be firmly around the £14-15K mark all in including hospital fees, Prof. Schilling's fees and anaesthetist's fees. I presume any and all other tests (ECGs, TEE etc.) will be extra. On the London AF Centre website, Prof. Schilling's stats look very good at 79% and 91% success rates (AF and drug-free at 18 months' follow-up) for one and two procedures respectively (although these are only for his private (and presumably healthier as well as wealthier) clients at the London Bridge private hospital, not his/his team's NHS patients at St Barts) but I note that his average procedure time for paroxysmal AF is now down to 60 minutes and, as such, I too would guess that that's pretty much in and out with cryo for the PVs.
Sam
March 27, 2018 03:25PM
Thanks, I would really appreciate that.

Sam
March 28, 2018 02:10PM
Do you know how many procedures either of these EPs have under their belt? And what percentage of those procedures are for complex cases of afib?

Success rates don't mean a thing if they aren't put into context.

Travis
November 17, 2018 12:14PM
mwcf, did you follow up with Dr Ernst? And do you know whether she still works within the NHS as well as privately?

Thanks — much appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login