Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just had a heart stent.

Posted by Bileswil 
Just had a heart stent.
March 24, 2018 12:51PM
Hello everyone,
So two days before my afib incident that sent me to the hospital in January, I had a chest tightness or constriction of the chest. Two day later I have the afib event. I told the doctors and cardiologist about this tightness and they put it down as afib related. So for the next two months, every time i would walk fast I would get this tightness and of course slow down a lot. Considering I was running at over a 6 mph pass prior to this. I went to my electrocardiologist and I hammered in the point. He was concern, so I had a catheterization procedure done. Pretty neat procedure, where I was wide awake and had no pain at all. They found a 95% blockage in my Right Coranary Artery (RCA) and a 60% in another. So they immediatly stent the 95% and I feel like I can run a marathon again. They want to wait on the 60%.
Why am I bringing this up? I feel I do have afib and I had a little afib in the hospital during recovery. My ablation is scheduled for July with Dr. Gentlesk in Norfolk Virginia. He has had over 2000 procedures done. I am confident that he will do a great job. Anyhow, when you talk to your doctors, make them listen to your concerns and hammer in that point. They are there to serve you. I went two months and was one hoagie away from a full blown heart attack. I thought I was in great shape, even though I am 30lbs overweight. I am with a nutritionist now and have lost 15 lbs.
Once again, make your doctors listen to you and by all means, listen to them and follow all their instructions.
I am a pilot with a major airline and I hope this stent will get my heart back to normal and back in the cockpit. God speed to all and may all your heart concerns be resolved to a healthy state.
Re: Just had a heart stent.
March 25, 2018 01:22PM
Thanks for sharing your story and emphasizing your message. I just learned of a similar story about a man who wasn't 'heard' about his complaints and ended up having bypass surgery and two stents... recovering well now, but he could have died. I certainly wish you a total and speedy recovery so you can resume your piloting job.

Best to you,
Jackie
Re: Just had a heart stent.
March 26, 2018 03:17PM
bileswil,

Thanks for the story. Your point is very well taken. My last EP visit I was told (in a joking manner) Im now just a number. I wore a Zio monitor for 2 weeks that cost me 1000 OP and they barely looked at it!! Honestly Im not sure anyone has actually looked at it thouroughly and that was two months ago. I know the idea for them is to convince us that we arent that serious and we arent going to die. The bad thing is issues can get overlooked. Im glad you got help!.
Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login