Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm reading Session #61 (The List), where are those people now?

Posted by kong2018 
I'm reading Session #61 (The List), where are those people now?
March 21, 2018 04:08AM
I found a few successful stories of how people in The List kept afib away. Then I do an advanced search in the forum and found the last posts of these people were 6 years, 8 years, 11 years ago. And many of them eventually got ablation. I wonder where are those people now? Are they 'cured' and left the forum, or.....sorry to say.....under ground?confused smiley
Re: I'm reading Session #61 (The List), where are those people now?
March 21, 2018 04:45AM
The focus of this site has really shifted in the last 7-8 years from trying to abate AFIB through natural or other means toward Ablation. People were more desperately and urgently trying to reverse their AFIB, as Ablaton was not nearly as good of an option. There has been talk of a follow-up to Special Session 61, and it would be a good thing to do, but it may not happen. I tried to track down one of the old Posters, but failed. There is only a handful of Non-Ablatees left regularly posting on this site. Me, George, Liz and Peggy, is all that come to mind. Probably others exist that post infrequently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 04:51AM by The Anti-Fib.
March 21, 2018 07:43AM
I'm here, as is Peggy - the author of CR 61. Erling is in his late 80's living in Washington state. Most, if they achieved afib remission decided to not spend their time here. Dean still posts occasionally and is doing well.

George
March 21, 2018 07:33PM
Yes, still going strong. Still eating my natto food for breakfast every second day for last 13 years and still afib free with quiet heart (so far!!). The old adage still applies to afib - “if you you've had it you've got it.” - ablation or not.

Had to go on blood pressure meds (only meds I take) last September after seeing my EP after 14 years due to being too naughty with beer and red wine since I retired.

I too would like to see how all the “oldies” are going. Maybe Shannon can come up with something?

Dean

P.S. Does anybody know what happened to the dedicated Ion Channel website? Has it morphed into something else or restricted use?
March 21, 2018 08:00PM
Good to see some of you 'veteran' afibbers are hanging around and doing good!

To George: Did you have an ablation? Or are you controlling only with neutral way?

To Dean: Did you have an ablation? So you kept the afib away for 13 years only by eating natto food? That's amazing!
March 21, 2018 10:13PM
kong2018
Good to see some of you 'veteran' afibbers are hanging around and doing good!

To George: Did you have an ablation? Or are you controlling only with neutral way?

To Dean: Did you have an ablation? So you kept the afib away for 13 years only by eating natto food? That's amazing!

No, I've not had an ablation. I'm still following basic outline of the protocol I proposed to the EP when I was in a 2.5 month session in fall 2004.

- detraining
- electrolytes: primarily magnesium to bowel tolerance, potassium as citrate or bicarbonate (initially important, but less so as I optimized magnesium) and taurine
- a prescription for flecainide to be used on demand when the above failed.

Later, about 5 or 6 years ago, I found that excess calcium in food was a bad actor for me so I limit calcium intake to around 600 mg/day. When I say detraining, I mean I do not train endurance activities. I am very active. For example I can alpine ski hard all day long without stopping except to ride the lift up. However adding hiking on skis to each lap for extra vertical is not a good plan for me and will likely precipitate an episode (I know better, but did this once). I have gotten away with a couloir climb (climbing with ice axes and a heavy pack up a very steep gully at 13,000'), but added much extra mag to ward off a potential episode.

My afib burden has been > 0.01% over the last five years. Does this mean I'm cured? Not in any way. If I deviate, afib will appear very swiftly.

Dean has posted within the last few months and was not ablated at that time. He also was doing well and not heading for an ablation. He still consumes his natto food, which he credits with his remission. Here is Dean's post from Oct 2017: <[www.afibbers.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 10:17PM by GeorgeN.
March 21, 2018 11:44PM
Thanks George, this is impressive! Glad you found a way to keep it out. While you've been doing so good, may I ask how your quality of life has been like? Would afib still be in your mind most of the time? Sorry I ask because I'm pretty new to this thing and wanted to see what to expect. Thanks!
March 22, 2018 09:13AM
kong2018
Thanks George, this is impressive! Glad you found a way to keep it out. While you've been doing so good, may I ask how your quality of life has been like? Would afib still be in your mind most of the time? Sorry I ask because I'm pretty new to this thing and wanted to see what to expect. Thanks!

I don't think about afib all day every day. I am very aware of the constraints that are part of my protocol and pay attention to those. Early on I learned to "name that rhythm in 4 beats or less" on my radial pulse. If I put my attention on my heart, I can feel the rhythm just with my mind.

About 6 years ago, I went through a divorce. My control diminished and I thought it was divorce stress. Turns out the culprit was excess calcium from the wheels of brie I was stress eating. When I reread the literature and thought this could be a problem, I stopped the brie and my stellar control returned instantly (took me 14 months to figure this out). However during the 14 months, I had many more triggers than I do normally. For example, the heart rate drop after orgasm could lead to PAC runs which presage an afib episode. I could normally ward off the episode by standing up and moving around.

I wrote about hypothermia in this post <[www.afibbers.org] In January, I was 3 days fasted when I jumped in my tub of 49 deg F water. I could feel PAC runs and immediately decided to quit the session for the day. The next day, 4 days fasted, I decided to try a slower approach. I first put my face in the water, then stood in it, then sat down with water up to my navel, then completely submerged up to my neck. No PAC's. As a caution, I've used this slower approach since, even when not fasted for multiple days. Point being I was immediately aware of the PAC's and acted on them. Same when I do go into afib. I'm immediately aware and will confirm with a radial pulse and possibly my Cardia device. If I confirm it, I will consume my 300 mg flecainide and chew it to get the fastest action (tastes bad). Then I will get prone till I convert, usually in around an hour. Getting prone minimizes the probability of the flec causing atrial flutter (which I've never had).

George
March 22, 2018 05:08PM
Hi I was just wondering what natto food is?
March 22, 2018 07:00PM
Fermented soy beans. An "acquired " taste. Can be purchased in the frozen food section of Japanese groceries. Also, you can purchase starter bacteria online and make it at home. It has interesting health properties. The Germans used it in N Africa to cure falal dysentery. The same bacteria was found in fresh Camel dung.
Jog
June 22, 2018 11:54AM
Good day everyone, new to forums, sadly not to AFib. Thank you to everyone who contributes. This string is probably the most optimistic/realistic string that describes where I am at right now, I've made major lifestyle changes, and seen much improvement, yet know I will never be totally released from this burden. Are there any other searches that would help me find posts like this (avoiding triggers, natural enhancements) to help avoid episodes? I gave up looking for a silver bullet years ago, now I'm more like a detective, looking for clues to help make little adjustments so I can live with this better, no idea is too strange, private messages welcome.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login