Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endurance Exercise Coupled with Atrial Myopathy Can Cause AF

Posted by afibbers 
Endurance Exercise Coupled with Atrial Myopathy Can Cause AF
March 18, 2018 10:18AM
Carey No, ablation can't stop the progression of the disease, which is how it's increasingly being viewed -- as a disease. The term atrial myopathy is being used and the whole notion of "lone afib" is being discarded.

I Googled atrial myopathy Came across this video below. A whole lot more to go through.

[www.youtube.com]

Evidence from various studies have shown that endurance exercise can cause atrial fibrillation in humans, but new research suggests the association isn’t that simple. Cardiologist Michael Cutler, MD, from the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute, discusses the new research, which suggests endurance exercise only causes atrial fibrillation when coupled with pre-existing atrial myopathy, or a diseased atrium. The research was presented at the Heart Rhythm Society's annual Scientific Sessions in Chicago this week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2018 10:34AM by afibbers.
Re: Endurance Exercise Coupled with Atrial Myopathy Can Cause AF
March 18, 2018 09:58PM
When I developed afib 14 years ago - with chronic fitness being my path - I assumed that there was a genetic reason that made me susceptible (only ~20% of those in chronic fitness develop afib- don't hold me to that %). Whether it is the mechanism presented by Dr. Cutler, could be debated. I recall from the time of my initiation into afib there was a study done at Cleveland Clinic. It was a cadaver study and those with afib had extra "P" cells in their pulmonary veins. This is also a possible reason. There may be many others. After a 2.5 month episode in the first 4 months, I developed (and convinced an EP to support) a protocol that included a) detraining from excessive endurance exercise, b) supplementing electrolytes - specifically magnesium to bowel tolerance - also potassium & taurine and c) a prescription for a loading dose of flecainide to be used to convert me to NSR when a & b didn't work. I've followed this subsequently and maintained relative afib remission (an afib burden of less than 0.01 % in the last five years). I also learned, from experience, that excess calcium intake would degrade this protocol.

Yes, whatever atrial condition I have will still allow me to get afib if I violate my subjective limits on too much endurance activity. However, I have learned what my limits are and if I honor them, I can still be more active and fit than most of my peers and also maintain relative afib remission. If I violate this or forego my magnesium, afib will be a certain visitor in a short time.

George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login