Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My ablation with Dr.Natale and Dr. Di Biase

Posted by newyorker 
My ablation with Dr.Natale and Dr. Di Biase
March 16, 2018 11:29AM
I want to post this while everything is fresh on my mind. Before ablation, I was obsessing over EXACTLY how things are going to go. I googled every story I can find that described the process. Here is my ablation story. Step by step. I hope it helps you.
I arrived to the hospital at 11am in great spirits, nervous and hopeful. There was no looking back. I had a great team (Dr. Natale and Dr. Di Biase) and I knew I was In good hands. At about 11:15 I was checked into a small examination room, changed into a gown with all my possessions placed in a big bag. A little vulnerable but all is good. šŸ™‚ First nurse took all the vitals and then asked tons of questions about my medical history. We cracked jokes to ease up the tension and one of the nurses kept singing next door. She had a beautiful voice and it was truly soothing although her colleagues said she does it all day long and it gets to be ā€œa lotā€. šŸ™‚ I was also there with two of my closest friends who kept coming in the room and giving me love. I am blessed. Shortly after, I had to give urine to test for pregnancy and they also wanted to take my blood because I am anemic and the levels needed to be confirmed. To my surprise, Dr. Natale and Dr. Di Biase stopped by. They were sweet and caring. I cannot tell you how much seeing them helped me psychologically. Overall, it was busy in my room for about an hour and then we waited. For a while. About 4.5 hours. From what I understood I was the second surgery and the first one was more complicated than anticipated plus they were still waiting on my blood results. I was thankful to wait. I was thankful that they were giving needed attention to someone else and I knew they would do the same for me. Finally, around 5, anesthesiologist came. We discussed my history. He had dry sense of humor and we immediately bonded over drug cocktail jokes. He was so reassuring. I asked him if he would be the closest standing to me. And he said ā€œyes, I will be by your head the whole timeā€. You see, my daughter gave me a tiny soft mouse with a lucky penny inside to hold in my hand when I am nervous. I asked him if he will take care of it while I am being operated on. He said that it will be right next to me the whole time and we had one of those vulnerable human moments that is you know...beautiful. Then, a different awesome nurse came and it was time to roll down ā€œthe hallā€. I envisioned that moment so many times prior to the ablation and it was as emotional as I thought it would be. I kissed my husband. From what I heard from my friends, he broke down a little bit later. Sweet man. The nurse started rolling me down the hall. I had tears in my eyes and I kept saying a mantra that I had prepared in my mind. It was a mantra of thanks. Honestly, I was an emotional reck. šŸ™‚ In the hall about 15 feet from the operating door, Dr. Natale and Dr. Di Biase stood on each side of the wall, greeting me. Dr. Natale brushes his hand on my head with reassurance. It was a gesture you would see done to a kid and it was super sweet. It calmed me. When we got to the door, the operating room wasnā€™t ready yet. As if she was reading my mind, the nurse, in a calm, soothing voice started telling me all the details of what is inside. I was quietly crying, so she changed the topic to cats and we even managed to laugh once about cats being assholes before the doors open. šŸ™‚ The room was not as big or scary as I anticipated. It had a lot of equipment but I was prepared to see that. Then I felt like I was a car at NASCAR race. I was placed on the table and tons of caring hands started to work on prepping me for the surgery. That lasted maybe 5 minutes max. Everyone was so sweet to me and one of the nurses was Russian so she spoke to me in my native tongue which made me feel for a second that my parents were there too. My daughterā€™s mouse went to Jeremy, the anesthesiologist. He carefully placed it next to me and said ā€œYour cocktail is being preppedā€. Oxygen mask went over my face, I closed my eyes.....5 seconds later (it seems like) I was woken up by a nurse. I was a little out of it. She said everything went great. I briefly saw smiling Dr. Nataleā€™s face... and rolled out in a waiting room while they were prepping my room. My husband and friends were instantly by my side. They were in good spirits and cracking jokes (they were at a bar close by for a whilesmiling smiley ) but it was all kind of a blur to me. 4 hours of my surgery went by in a flash. I also remember nurse being impressed with my oxygen levels which made me feel good. And then...I felt my heart. It was metronome kind of feeling of super steady strong beat that us afibbers rarely feel. It was obviously ā€œput in its placeā€ and I remember listening to it in a sheer amazement. Finally, I was rolled in my room, moved to a bed and tried to get comfortable. It was late and my husband and me decided to watch some TV and just rest. He finally doze off and eventually my anesthesia wore off leaving me in pain every time I took a breath. It was sharp, short lived pain but nothing I couldnā€™t handle. Maybe 5-6 on 10 scale. Nurse confirmed it was perfectly normal and I just tried to stay calm and thankful and zen. Unfortunately, I didnā€™t sleep at all. I was too excited that procedure was over and a little discomfort in the chest didnā€™t let me get comfortable to fall asleep so I passed the time by watching TV and playing on my phone. All night I was taken care of nurses that checked on me what seems like hourly. In the morning, Dr. Natale and Dr. Di Biase stopped by. They confirmed that procedure went perfect and that the pain I feel is totally normal and will go away in 2-3 days. I hugged them both and couldnā€™t stop thanking them. I was told there will be a follow up at 1 and 3 months and that at 3 months, they expect me to be off all medications. After they left, I got all the prescriptions explained to me and eventually after a little bit more wait...we were discharged. Overall, the whole experience was much easier and pleasant than I anticipated. I was constantly surrounded by attention, care and love. Either from my family and friends or the staff of the hospital. I am not going to lie, the date after the surgery was tough. I felt some pain every time I took a breath but I knew it was normal and I knew it will be over soon. And today, itā€™s 100% better. Also, you will not be even be able to see my incision points unless I pointed them out to you. I think Dr. Natale just sprinkled some fairy dust there or something....you simply canā€™t see them. šŸ™‚ So, that is my story. I hope it helps you and if you are thinking of doing an ablation, I will answer any questions that you have. Thank you for being here for me for so long....smiling smiley
Re: My ablation with Dr.Natale and Dr. Di Biase
March 16, 2018 03:56PM
Congratulations and welcome back to the world of a normal heartbeat. :-)
March 16, 2018 06:19PM
Wonderful!!! Here is to continued NSR!!!

George
March 16, 2018 06:57PM
With Ilona's permssion, I have posted her story on my blog as well. She also added 10 tips she learned from this experience. The tips are gold so be sure to check it out:

[www.livingwithatrialfibrillation.com]

Congratulations, Ilona! I'm so happy for you. I still can't believe this "ablation journey" started about a year ago now. Crazy how time flies. Enjoy the rest of the year (and many more to come) in NSR!

Travis
March 16, 2018 07:11PM
Thanks! I canā€™t hold my tears when I was reading this. It feels like my own story. I wonā€™t be afraid if time comes to the point that I need an ablation.
March 17, 2018 04:44PM
Hi NewYorker, I read your story with tears. My journey with Afib began on Oct 15, 2015. I live in NJ. At hospital, I was put on medications and was extremely symptomatic. My Afib lasted many hours and I was always weak, breathless, and feeling faint. I had 2 failed ablations at NYU. After 2nd ablation which took a lot of courage, I developed appendicitis and complications and the infection brought the Afib back again. NYU wants to do a 3rd ablation but I've reading about Dr. Natale for the past 2 years and decided to see him. I flew to Austin in October, 2017. He was so reassuring and said that I needed to get stronger and when the meds stopped working,I should come to him for the ablation. Well, the meds are not working as well and Im getting Afib more frequently. Since I live in NJ, he said that I could see Dr. Luigi DiBiasi if I needed to and they would confer with each other. From your story, It sounds like you had the ablation in NY ? If that is possible, that would be so much easier for me instead of going to Austin. Thanks for your input and I hope this finds you still in sinus rhythm.

Regards,
Vickie
March 17, 2018 06:18PM
Congratulations!! Thanks for writing about your experience.
March 17, 2018 09:45PM
Thank you so much for the straight from the heart account of your experience, Ilona. Iā€™m hoping to head to Austin soon. I was approved for a one trip visit with Dr. Natale. Just waiting for a date now. Your advice is excellent and I will take everything you said to heart (šŸ˜‚). Sorry really not trying for the puns.
March 18, 2018 04:03PM
I have six weeks to go. What scares me the most is your depiction of having pain with breathing and also the possibility of pericardial effusion/tamponade. I can't wait until it's over!
March 18, 2018 06:25PM
libby
I have six weeks to go. What scares me the most is your depiction of having pain with breathing and also the possibility of pericardial effusion/tamponade. I can't wait until it's over!

Six ablations and I've never experienced any significant pain at all. The most I've ever experienced was a mild, dull ache that went away within 24 hours. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate it a 2. Most people I've known who underwent ablations reported about the same. Significant pain is unusual.

Pericardial effusion/tamponade are extraordinarily unlikely.
March 18, 2018 10:35PM
Great post newyorker! Similar to my story of my ablation with Dr. Natale in October 2017. Like Carey, I had almost no pain. I am so fortunate to have chosen Dr Natale after the advice of this forum.
March 29, 2018 01:36AM
Thank you so much for this wonderful and very encouraging story.

All the detail you put in is SO helpful.

Best wishes in your health and life!
May 03, 2018 05:26PM
So sorry, I just saw this. Yes, Dr. Natale comes to New York once in a while to visit his protege and amazing EP Dr. DiBiase. During that time he performs ablations at Montifiore Hospital, where I had mine done. All you have to do is contact his office and Austin and tell them that you are interested in doing your ablation in NYC. They will figure something out. Or contact Shannon on this forum. He is like The best thing that ever happened to us afibbers and Natale's right hand man.
June 01, 2018 04:16PM
Thanks so much for sharing. My ablation with Dr. Natale is mid July. I am so looking forward to meeting him.
How are you feeling today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login