Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

very afraid

Posted by anneh 
very afraid
June 30, 2017 11:06PM
I started LAF 7years ago when a stupid dr overdosed my thyroid meds for my low thyroid. Since then have had episodes about every 2 yrs and able to convert at home within about 6hrs. This April I had an episode after 2 yrs. Then I had another a month later. Then I had one June 12th and now as I write I am having another sad smiley I take a metropolol and 4 baby aspirin when I go into an episode). I regularly take DRibose/CoQ10/Hawthorn/Taurine/Mag Glycinate/nattokinase. I am 79yo but have no other health issues/walk daily/eat right/slim. I do take thyroid meds but have now stopped the T3 weaning off beginning May into early June. I took it along with my Levoxyl (I regularly had lab work done to make sure everything was ok and in fact had lab work done in May and all was well, nothing was too high). I had corresponded with Jackie about the T3 perhaps causing problems, however stopping doesn't seem to have helped sad smiley I was taking care of my husband (he had dementia) for the past 2 years and he passed away in January and frankly once I got over it all I was looking forward to this chapter of my life but now terrified. My cardiologist mentioned at my last check up in March that if I had frequent episodes I must go on a blood thinner, you have no idea how frightened I am of that from everything I read about them sad smiley I read awful things about ablations, I am in Maryland. Well praying my episode will end asap. anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 11:41PM by anneh.
Re: very afraid
July 01, 2017 12:26AM
Hang in there Anne. I too was very afraid of blood thinners but I had to start using them and I'm ok. I use Eliquis. From what I have seen on here the ablations all went well. If it's for Afib you are under anesthesia anyway. You really should be on a rhythm control drug and a blood thinner for now. I sure hope your episode has ended.
July 01, 2017 03:26PM
Anneh:

Your T3 probably caused your episodes of AF, I had an increase in my thyroid meds last March, I get AF about every two months. Well, with the increase in my thyroid meds I started getting AF twice a week, I went back to my regular dosage of thyroid meds. It took a few weeks to get back to my normal routine of once every two months. I also increased my potassium from food (I don't take that supplement), I have been eating a lot of berries, cherries, raspberries and blueberries for my potassium.

I am vagal and get my episodes at night, my doc. has me take one and a 1/2 tabs. of Propafenone before bedtime. Metropolol is a beta blocker, it will keep your rate down but not much else, Propafenone and others here take Flecainide for either a pill in the pocket or they take it daily which has helped them.

I can't counsel you on taking a blood thinner because I can't take one, I did take it at one time and started getting bloodshot eyes blood pooling in my thumb from just opening a door, so I had to stop taking it. I do take an aspirin, try to keep my episodes down and hope for the best. You could take a blood thinner if you have no problems like I did, many do here and are ok.

Liz
July 01, 2017 08:28PM
AnneH,

Don't believe everything you hear or read! That alone can help reduce the fear factor to a good degree and before long with the right knowledge and understanding you can find a resource like this special forum and website a great antidote to the things we fear about AFIB.

Like any procedure AFIB ablation can be fraught with complications, but compared to most minimally invasive procedures ... especially for the heart ... AFIB ablation when done by very experienced ablationist is quite safe overall. The key is being highly discriminating in your choice for ablationist, which this forum and website offers insights too as one of our specialties over the last 18 years! Living in constant fear can equal a paralyzingly choice all its own and can often lead to making poor decisions too that wind up coming back to haunt us.

Seek knowledge and support here among the many very experienced old timers who generously offer their time, and timely advice and encouragement along this life journey that for so many of us has included AFIB as part of a large portion of our lives. But you can get free of the beast by grabbing the bull by the horns and combining the best of life style risk reduction, where appropriate for a given Afibber, along with often times the best of Electrophysiology in the form of an expert ablation process, when and if that becomes your next best option going forward toward real freedom from AFIB long term like so many of us have achieved and are very much enjoying life in NSR as a result.

Best wishes,
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2017 01:02AM by Shannon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login