Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why the pressure?

Posted by GaryS 
Why the pressure?
June 29, 2017 10:43AM
Anyone know why afib and premature beats bring pressure and discomfort (sometimes pain)? Hard not to be alarmed when this happens. Went to the ER in January b/c of it.
Re: Why the pressure?
June 29, 2017 09:43PM
No, I don't know why but I had the same experiences. Perhaps a similar reason as to why heart attacks cause referred pain in extremities? The heart's nerves emerge from the spinal cord very near many others that innervae the thorax and upper body. AF certainly irritates the atria. Maybe that communicates back somehow.
June 30, 2017 09:15AM
I suffer quite severe pain in my chest and throat and a very uncomfortable fullness in chest when in full blown AF. It does appear to have worsened over the last 3-4 years.
I've wondered if it's because I'm not near as fit as I was then because I have medical problems that keep from exercising as I used to.
I do find it very disconcerting and often think I will pass out.
Ken
June 30, 2017 09:50AM
Interesting. I had a-fib for 11 yrs, the first 5 undiagnosed and never had any discomfort other than shortness of breath when climbing stairs, etc. The irregular, racing heart rate was disconcerting and was less of an issue once on meds, but that was it. I was in excellent physical condition, so my a-fib was more of an inconvenience than a handicap. I am now 10.5 years post a successful ablation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login