Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sun and meds

Posted by Newbie@afib 
Sun and meds
May 30, 2017 10:49PM
I'm taking multaq and eliquis. Does anyone know if sitting out in the sun (no sunburn) will cause a very itchy rash on my arms and legs indicating an interaction with either of these two drugs? Thanks
Re: Sun and meds
May 31, 2017 09:32AM
When I used to go into the Tanning Salons, they had a list of "photosensitive drugs". Have u tried researching if Multaq has Photosensitivity as a side effect?
May 31, 2017 08:38PM
Good call Anti-Fib,

<[www.mdedge.com]

"To the Editor:
A 61-year-old woman with a history of atrial fibrillation, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and hyperlipidemia presented with an erythematous, edematous, pruritic eruption on the chest, neck, and arms of 2 weeks’ duration. The patient had no history of considerable sun exposure or reports of photosensitivity. One month prior to presentation she had started taking dronedarone for improved control of atrial fibrillation. She had no known history of drug allergies. Other medications included valsartan, digoxin, pioglitazone, simvastatin, aspirin, hydrocodone, and zolpidem, all of which were unchanged for years. There were no changes in topical products used.

Physical examination revealed confluent, well-demarcated, erythematous and edematous papules and plaques over the anterior aspect of the neck, bilateral forearms, and dorsal aspect of the hands, with a v-shaped distribution on the chest (Figure). There was notable sparing of the submental region, upper arms, abdomen, back, and legs. Dronedarone was discontinued and she was started on fluocinonide ointment 0.05% and oral hydroxyzine for pruritus. Her rash resolved within the following few weeks. "
June 11, 2017 03:50PM
Thanks so much. Actually, the rash and itch were so bad I ended up seeing my dermatologist and, sure enough, Multaq is on a very long list of sun/heat sensitive drugs. Since applying the prescription cream and staying out of the direct sun, the rash and itching have totally disappeared. It's worth it for anyone on any type of medication to take a look at this extensive list. I am now more aware and certainly will be more cautious.
June 20, 2017 01:46PM
Thanks for sharing
June 27, 2017 09:32PM
Newbie, I have taken Eloquis with Flecainide and have not noticed any problems with sun exposure, might want to switch
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login