Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Update and question

Posted by Que 
Que
Update and question
May 09, 2017 04:48PM
Hello,

I'm happy to report that at 2 years since my ablation with Dr. Natale I remain Afib free! Yeah! Thanks to all of those here who provided great advice and many thanks to Dr. Natale and his staff in SF.

Recently I've been experimenting with adding a nightly glass of wine back into in my routine. To date and as verified by my nightly check with my AlivCor device and a recent 2 day Holter monitor (I'm in Europe and don't have access to a Zio) I have remained in sinus. I'm also symptom free and otherwise feel fine. I just returned from a 45 minute run, which went well.

That being said, I thought I would ask the group for their advice regarding adding a glass of wine back in at this point.

Best regards,
Q
Re: Update and question
May 09, 2017 10:00PM
I'd say it is highly individual. Was wine a trigger before ablation for you? Since being diagnosed nearly 13 years ago, alcohol has never been a trigger for me (always in moderation). For others it can be.
May 09, 2017 11:24PM
If it doesn't cause problems, enjoy the grape juice!
Que
May 10, 2017 06:03PM
Hi All,

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll give it some thought. Now that I think about it there were 2 nights when my AliveCor had a lot of squiggly lines between big waves (QRS). I just sent it off to AliveCor for a professional reading. The algorithm said it was ok, but I thought a second "human" opinion was warranted.

Best regards,
Q

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 06:03PM by Que.
Que
May 10, 2017 06:03PM
Hi All,

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll give it some thought. Now that I think about it there were 2 nights when my AliveCor had a lot of squiggly lines between big waves (QRS). I just sent it off to AliveCor for a professional reading. The algorithm said it was ok, but I thought a second "human" opinion was warranted.

Best regards,
Q
May 10, 2017 10:59PM
Best as I can tell, the AliveCor algorithm looks heavily at the R-R interval. The actual P-wave is easily lost in the "noise", quite literally as the device communicates with the smart phone or tablet using ultrasonics (microphone). As such, it is EXTREMELY sensitive to background noise, especially white noise like wind. In my opinion, it would be much more reliable if it used Bluetooth technology, but I understand completely why the creators of AliveCor didn't choose that option as it adds a layer of technological complexity that would hamper the product's usefulness.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login