Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Palpitations in NSR?

Posted by The Anti-Fib 
Palpitations in NSR?
April 03, 2017 06:30PM
Greetings Great Afibians:

Ive had alot of AFIB over the last 10 years. Permanent, Persistent, Paroxysmal, and now primarily NSR. My pattern has been Palpitations with either Extreme Ectopy (PAC's)/ AFIB, or smooth beating in NSR. Now I am getting Palpitations even though in relatively stable NSR, (mild PAC's). When I lay down and sleep I feel it pounding, This is complicated by have to sleep on my left side due to Sleep Apnea (no lying on back) or a Pinched Nerve which is aggravated by lying on my right side. I have found that Diltiazem (CCcool smiley helps greatly with this.

My question is do others have Palpitations or Pounding Heart Syndrome even when in NSR? If so, any opinions on what causes this?
Re: Palpitations in NSR?
April 04, 2017 06:29AM
Years ago (10-12), I recall people posting here about "Pounding Heart Syndrome" as a sing of low potassium.

The only time I experienced this was my keto adaptation phase 7.5 years ago. Turns out it was mag for me at that time, not potassium I've not had it before or since.

George
April 05, 2017 01:47PM
Anti-Fib - are you keeping up with the essential heart nutrients?

My heart is calm after ablation #3 for 2 years now and 22 years after the fib event, but I notice that if I don't keep up with the optimal dosing of magnesium, potassium, carnitine, CoQ and taurine... when I settle in for sleep, I can feel a 'strong' heart beat. It's not irregular and is about 60 bpm...but it's 'strong.' In one respect, I guess that's a 'good', strong, normal heart beat... but the fact that I notice it always makes me reflect on how diligent I've been with the supplements. I often get back out of bed right then and take 300 mg magnesium and just drift off to sleep.

It's almost impossible to get enough magnesium from food; unlike potassium where you can get plenty if you focus on doing so. Mine always calms down to much a more silent "normal" when I'm optimized.

Kind regards,
Jackie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 01:49PM by Jackie.
April 07, 2017 03:15AM
I had an X-A Test last month, everything came back in the normal range with Mg at 37.1.

My previous Mg EXA's came back low (30), so I had started taking Epson Salt baths. I am wondering if an unintended consequence from these baths is going on. I started these about a month ago 3-4 times/week.

Also for some reason my K+ is spiking high. 5.7 last year measured right before AF event, and 5.1 just 3 weeks ago, measured 2 days after an AF event. Days later these values were normal. My kidney values are like BUN sometimes are a little high, can the kidneys acutely or intermittently fail?
April 07, 2017 09:52AM
The Anti-Fib
Also for some reason my K+ is spiking high. 5.7 last year measured right before AF event, and 5.1 just 3 weeks ago, measured 2 days after an AF event. Days later these values were normal. My kidney values are like BUN sometimes are a little high, can the kidneys acutely or intermittently fail?

Was your K+ measurement was from a Cardymeter?

I know that K+ is very dynamic.

What is your diet like? Especially how is your protein intake? How is your carb intake? Protein does increase BUN, though not the cause of kidney damage. Insulin resistance & excess carbs can cause kidney damage.

Ron Rosedale
Bun (Blood Urea Nitrogen) BUN is a common blood test that measures for urea nitrogen, a product of protein metabolism. When you eat protein, it is broken down into nitrogen-containing amino acids. The nitrogen is removed and combined with other molecules to produce urea, which eventually makes its way to the kidneys where it is eliminated in the urine. If kidney function is compromised, BUN levels rise above the normal range of 7 to 25 mg/ dL. Although this test is routinely used to evaluate kidney function, I use it to monitor my patients’ protein intake. The average BUN hovers around 18– 22 mg/ dL. If a person is eating too much protein, his or her BUN will be in the upper range of normal. A common mistake people make as they adjust to the Rosedale Diet is eating too much protein. This is easy to do since fat and protein are often found in the same foods, and many assume that if they’re following other low carb/ high-fat diets, they’re okay. (In reality, many “high-fat diets” such as the Atkins diet are really high-protein diets.) A key principle of the Rosedale Diet is moderate, not high, intake of protein. Regular monitoring of BUN can help ensure dietary compliance. BUN: 17 mg/ dL optimal; up to 21 mg/ dL acceptable; more than 21 mg/ dL high.

Rosedale M.D., Ron; Carol Colman (2009-10-13). The Rosedale Diet (pp. 179-180). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
April 07, 2017 11:05AM
Anti-Fib.... You should probably discontinue the Epsom Salts baths and definitely any supplemental potassium until you check with your physician about the results you've quoted here. As George points out, there are many influences on kidney function and you need to evaluate each point he mentions.

Sometimes, as we age, kidney function becomes slightly impaired and you have to 'fine tune' certain elements including dietary intake of protein. The spiking of the potassium level and then the AF events are, obviously, suspect.

As a child I had a kidney function issue caused by too much sodium and was put on bed rest, absolutely no protein and no sodium plus a medication. It took 3 months to recover. Has never recurred, thankfully, but the doctors always warned about watching sodium and high protein intake.

There is always a caveat when taking supplemental magnesium and potassium and that is for those with impaired kidney function to do it with medical supervision.

Jackie
April 07, 2017 01:29PM
I have always tested a little high on my BUN test, about 6 months ago I tested over over the BUN. My doctor told me to drink more water, which I know I don't drink enough of, I did start to drink more water and the next time I had the test my BUN went back to the high normal. My doc. never said anything about high protein he seems to believe that lack of water is the culprit, at least for me.

I never take any Potassium supplements I test towards the high end of the lab scale. Years ago I did take some potassium supplements, (everyone on this board always spoke highly of them) they are all wrong for me. When I took the supplements I started getting short runs of AF, I quit the supplements and the runs stopped. If anyone needs potassium eat the food not supplements.

Liz
April 07, 2017 06:28PM
George/Others:

My K+ values were Blood Serum from the lab. The fist time I didn't have AF yet but felt bad: dizzy, weak some confusion.
I had an old Lab order on hand, so went and had my blood checked.

My diet is roughly about 30% Protein, 45% Carb and 25% fat.
I had been eating alot of Spinach (1-1.5 lbs a week), which is high in both Mg and K+.

I appreciate the info about the high BUN levels, that makes sense, sometimes my protein intake is a little higher.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login