Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DIY Electrolyte mix question...

Posted by ClayS 
DIY Electrolyte mix question...
August 20, 2016 01:44PM
Just got back from a 6 day camping trip with my son. In preparation I wanted to be sure I had some electrolyte support, so was about to reorder what I took last year – think it was LyteShow – when I looked at the amounts and realized I might be better off making something myself (famous last words). So I put together a concoction of Real salt, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Citrate, and coconut sugar in roughly the proportions of the RDA from the Pauling Institute site. Tinkered with it a little to make it palatable (the KCl is pretty strong) and voila! Neophyte’s Electrolyte Powder – just add water!

So my question for the learned is, is this a logical approach and likely to provide good electrolyte support? Or did I miss a crucial ingredient, proportion, chemical form, etc.? Especially curious because I couldn’t find much on making your own electrolyte mix, which struck me as odd. Or would it have been better/simpler just to take supplements in pill form?

Thanks,

Clay
Re: DIY Electrolyte mix question...
August 20, 2016 02:52PM
Clay,

I always take the same electrolyte supplements daily (pills & powders), whether I'm in the sticks or at home. Not that there is any problem with what you did.

Recently I've taken to making a magnesium acetate solution as per ghg's instructions <[www.afibbers.org] more detail here <[tinyurl.com] Essentially mixing plain milk of magnesia in organic apple cider vinegar in a 2:7 ratio. This is a pain to travel with, so revert to my di-magnesium malate powder <[shop.performanceequinenutrition.com] then.

I take a minor amount of potassium as citrate now (200mg/day) as my serum levels are fine without it (4.3). I take it mainly for the citrate. 15 years ago had two kidney stones two years apart and citrate (as in the prescription Urocit) mitigates the risk significantly. I do add salt (significant but unmeasured) to my one meal a day for the sodium.

This works for skiing all day, hiking, rock climbing in the sun & etc.

If I were making it up, I'd avoid the coconut sugar as I run a ketogenic diet. I realize that would not help the taste, but I've had both KCl and K citrate dissolved and I can tolerate them.

Sounds like your solution worked well, the most important thing!

George
August 21, 2016 06:50PM
George,

As always, thanks for your perspective. Going to try the MoM/ACV shortly, but have to ask, how did you arrive at an Equine supply house for your mg-malate powder? I know there's a horse joke in there somewhere, I'm clearly missing an opportunity!

Many thanks,

Clay
August 21, 2016 07:53PM
ClayS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> George,
> but have to ask, how did you arrive at an Equine supply house for your mg-malate powder?
> Clay

Hi Clay,

The powder is made by Albion, human grade. With as much as I take, always looking for quality, while controlling cost. A local afibber friend who was also controlling his afib with mag was using di-magnesium malate powder. His wife was a nutritionist who got his supply through a professional only supplier. Any di-mag I found them was in small quantities, in pill form. Then I stumbled upon this. When I first started buying, I had a long phone conversation with the woman who runs the site. It was then that I learned that it was the Albion product.

My wife loves that it "controls my mareish behaviour..."

George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login