Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How Much Vitamin D vs. Magnesium?

Posted by tvanslooten 
How Much Vitamin D vs. Magnesium?
August 05, 2016 01:37PM
I've been taking 8,000 IU per day of vitamin D for almost two years now. I have my levels checked regularly and my levels hover around 75. I've been told the 70s is optimal for afibbers (and probably people in general).

However, I just read an interesting ebook by Dr. Carolyn Dean. The ebook says that high doses of vitamin D can deplete magnesium levels thereby causing palpitations. This got me wondering...am I taking too much vitamin D? I "only" take about 600 mg of magnesium per day.

I ask because I've been battling PACs and PVCs since my ablation back in March 2015. The PACs and PVCs are almost as bad as my afib episodes used to be in terms of feeling crummy and constantly having this "fish flopping in my chest" feeling.

My thinking is maybe I need to cut back on the vitamin D. Maybe that will help settle down the palpitations??? I don't know. All this supplement stuff confuses me!

Travis
Re: How Much Vitamin D vs. Magnesium?
August 05, 2016 02:26PM
Travis,

I run my 25OHD levels at 96 without issue (10,000 IU's/day). On the other hand, I've taken mag at levels up to 5g/day. When I did an RBC mag a year or so ago, it was around 7.6 or 7.9 (don't remember exactly) Dr. Dean says above 6 is fine, though she would have you top out at 6.5 (again from memory) on an RBC test.

A lot of my mag was a mag chloride solution I made from nigari. It dawned on me that this might not have been helping my gut biome as MgCl2 is a disinfectant. So last Nov, I stopped the MgCl2 and used mostly di-magnesium malate and some mag glycinate. I've also been working on my gut. I was also concerned that the high mag intake might be keeping my colon pH at 8. A lot of the bugs like a lower gut pH, like 4 or 5. Hence I've been trying to lower my intake. I recently switched to magnesium acetate (reacting organic apple cider vinegar with plain milk of magnesia in a 7:2 ratio - using tablespoons will give around 1 g of mag). I've been able to get my intake down to 2 g/day without constipation. This used to be an issue whenever I'd try to lower it.

In any case, I've not seen PVC's or PAC's in any great amount. I do sample daily with an Alivecor and a beat to beat (R to R) Polar H7 strap with the HRV Logger app recording on my phone (dumping the data off to view on Polar software on my computer).

I only notice them in unusual circumstances. For example, I have a habit of soaking in 57 deg F water for 20 minutes every morning. I then do yoga & meditate. I warm up without any external heat. One day I decided to to a 8x20:10 (8 reps of 20 seconds as hard as you can followed by 10 seconds of rest) Tabata set on my Schwinn Airdyne. I think I triggered a rewarming shock reaction as both the sets and especially the cool down had big PAC runs. I found this only occurs in this situation. I can soak and not exercise and everything is fine - it does trigger a mammalian dive reflex as my pulse drops into the 40's, but it also increases HRV. I can also to the Tabatas when warm without any issue.

My suggestion would be to experiment and see if you can find a "sweet spot" by either adding more mag or subtracting D3 to test the hypothesis.

Cheers,

George
August 05, 2016 03:01PM
Travis - can you copy/type that excerpt where Dr. Dean says that about D and magnesium?

Most of the literature says to keep vitamin D between 50 and 70... unless you are treating cancer, then it's higher.

My FM MD likes to see the level around 60 - 65. I feel best, myself, if my level is 65-70; otherwise, I seem to feel 'creaky' - especially in colder weather. I can maintain that with 5,000/day.

Jackie
August 05, 2016 09:06PM
"I’ve written in my blogs about the dangers of too much vitamin D because it grabs too much calcium and ends up causing magnesium deficiency and symptoms and overcalcification. The result can be kidney stones, gall stones, heel spurs, atherosclerotic calcium deposits, fibromyalgia calcification and breast tissue calcification." p26 "Invisible Minerals: Part II – Multiple Minerals" Carolyn Dean MD ND

From our doc, Steve Gundry MD in Palm Springs, "Over the last 15 years I have yet to see Vit D toxicity, even in people who run levels above 270 for years on purpose! Because I have seen so many of these people, my view on a safe level of Vit D has changed. For most people, the level of Vit d reflects gut health. For some of my more difficult Autoimmune patients, I have used up to 50,000 IUs of D3 a day to get measurable levels of D! As their gut heals, their Vit D levels rise and we back down. This rise is when I know that we are restoring the gut. My wife and I a always run out Vit D above 120 and have no qualms about doing so, nor do any of my Chiropractic colleagues. We do take Vit K2 as well.
Dr G"

Gundry wants us between 80 & 100 or better.
August 05, 2016 10:28PM
Hi Travis,

Nice to meet you here as well. I've posted several times on your blog. Name is Jeff.

I, too, struggle with figuring out these supplements. I'm just supplementing Mg in the form of glycinate. I've found that a simple 200-400 mg/day keeps me pretty calm. If I go under, I'll have the occasional PAC. If I go over, I'll get into PVC's. So I just literally "listen to my heart" as the barometer for what's too little and what's too much.

I understand we are all different and finding what suits our own needs is the real challenge. I wish you the best of luck!
August 07, 2016 12:32PM
Travis,

I get a noticeable increase in PACs and PVCs with 1000 IU of D-3, so I scaled back to 500 IU. 25OHD level is about 40. There is evidence that levels above 100 are linked to AFIB. I don't find studies that link particular levels to PACs and PVCs, although there are plenty of anecdotal reports of generic "palpitations" with D supplementation. Gundry's suggestions seem at odds with the recommendations of the HMD (prev. IOM) branch of the National Academies which set 4000 IU as safe upper limit for most adults, although there are specific recommendations for particular conditions.

I wouldn't exceed safe upper limits without testing and consultation with skilled MD's, and I would not be inclined to take a supplement to mitigate the side-effects from another supplement (take more Magnesium to counteract PACs and PVCs from D-3). In any case, why not try cutting back on D-3 as a first step and see if it helps?

Peter
August 07, 2016 02:09PM
Travis - I found some interesting and relevant observations on the vitamin D topic. I'm not able to do a meaningful post today but will work on it soon. There's a good chance you really don't need 8,000 IUs and it's always best to test for 25 OH D every 3 or 4 months until you know what your absorption pattern is to keep your level in the safe/adequate range.

As you know, Magnesium works to help stabilize and calm your heart so adding more is important. With Vitamin D, the key issue is to take the K2 MK7 to manage circulating calcium and which definitely will interfere with IC magnesium... and also help prevent calcium deposits in soft tissue. Stand by. I'll try to get this done quickly as it's very useful.

Jackie
JayBros
August 07, 2016 04:30PM
I find this thread very interesting and at an appropriate time in AF/AFL battle. After a 17 year stint with paroxysmal AF/AFL I have been in persistent AF since mid-June and am due for rf ablation 6/18. During a consult with a cardiologist for second opinion on ablation he ran a vitamin D test, found my it was low and prescribed 5,000 IU/day. Follow up test a month later showed I was 90 nmol/l. While I'm still on the 5,000 IU daily I've now become aware of the importance of magnesium in "calming" the heart. In a previous incarnation I used to keep my heart calm by threatening to choke the s**t out of people (lol). Now, since I'm unaware of how to accurately test mag level I'm in a bit of a quandry if I should and how much to take. For most of my life as a doctor's son I've avoided supplements but want to do everything within reason after the ablation procedure to keep things on as even a keel as possible. Thank you.
August 08, 2016 04:52PM
jbrosnan,

I've been taking about 700 mg/day of this stuff Doctors Best Magnesium Chelate since about 2011. The usual blood tests for magnesium were within normal range. Finally, last year, a new primary care doc ordered a RBC magnesium test and it came back "low normal"....after 5+ years of supplementing.

I like Paul Jaminet's book "The Perfect Health Diet" and use his supplement recommendations as a starting point. Jackie is a good source of information and links on this forum for specific supplement info related to afib. The amount of information and conflicting recommendations is daunting. Perhaps take regular breaks to practice your breathing and meditation techniques. I have your rage issues, they have to be dealt with, lots of resources out there. If you define yourself as someone who doesn't lose control, you won't. Make it so.
Cheers,
Mike
August 08, 2016 05:12PM
jbrosnan,

Jackie would tell you to do an Exatest (intracellular mag). I'm less fond of them (hassle & expense - hard to find a doc who does them near me). Carolyn Dean, MD who is big on mag has found that having an RBC mag ($49 here <[requestatest.com] ) level in the 6.0-6.5 range is indicative of sufficient magnesium. <[drcarolyndean.com] She also mentions the Exatest, but says the RBC gives good enough results for much less hassle & $$.

With my aggressive mag supplementation (currently 2g/day but as high as 5g/day), I got a 7.9 RBC reading a year ago. Twelve years ago I did an Exatest and got a reading on the very bottom of normal. Also a high Ca/Mg ratio. This was part of the reason I started supplementing aggressively with mag. This has been largely successful for me. In the last 3 years I've had two afib episodes, one lasting a bit over an hour and another 8 minutes. Both converted with on-demand (PIP) flecainide (300mg). Twelve years ago, I had a 2 1/2 month episode, at the beginning of my afib career. This would not be considered auspicious for my eleven and a half years of relatively excellent afib control. If I ever need to pursue an ablation with Dr. Natale, I'm nearly certain mine would be a "complex" case and require LAA isolation, because of this long episode.

George
JayBros
August 08, 2016 08:06PM
Thanks for the suggestions. With advice from my EP after the ablation you've given me sufficient references to begin my program. Mike E, I don't have any rage problems; was just trying to inject a little humor, you know like the impatient buzzard in the tree. I'm a big proponent of wind therapy whether on my morotcycle or a bicycle, depending on how much work I want to do. Since going persistent I have had some problems with leg cramps and for me they were an occasional long bicycle touring problem when I didn't drink enough in hot weather. It's been bloody hot here in NC this summer and I've been trying to stay hydrated but I think doing cardio work outs while out of rhythm may have some impact.
August 09, 2016 07:50PM
jbrosnan@earthlink.net Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's been bloody hot here in NC
> this summer and I've been trying to stay hydrated
> but I think doing cardio work outs while out of
> rhythm may have some impact.

Uh, yeah! I live near Raleigh and have been doing 4-6 mile runs each day where I can literally wring a quart of water out of my clothes at the end. It's a cast-iron B to stay hydrated and maintain electrolytes in this swamp. I've been rewarded with spontaneous PACs and SVT runs all summer long. And it won't let up until October...
August 10, 2016 01:42PM
Hi Travis - Sorry for the delay.... sometimes, life gets in the way.

My following comments are in response to your question on taking too much vitamin D along with some elaborations on this topic as general info for all readers. This may help clarify as it all ties in together.

Bear with me—I still have limited time. Hopefully, this isn’t too disorganized not to make sense.

Jackie

This very important topic deserves attention as it has multiple factors that should be recognized and addressed on an individual basis …not only for those with an AF history but for many other, overall health implications as well.

I'm glad you are keeping track of your vitamin D levels by testing. This is very important. The range LabCorps is currently using is 50 - 80 ng/ml and Genova Diagnostics range is 50 – 100 ng/ml which is the common range holistically-oriented healthcare practitioners use these days. Of course, the 'individuality factor' comes into play because of various influences including adequate sunlight exposure and skin pigmentation.

Many reports are indicating Vitamin D dosage range recommendations between 5,000 and 8,000 IU, but regular testing is important. Both vitamin D and vitamin K are essential for bone health, arterial health and also for proper immune system balance and function. Deficiency in Vitamin D also increases risk of infection, cancer, autoimmune disease, hypertension, arteriosclerosis, diabetes and/or insulin resistance, musculoskeletal pain, epilepsy and migraines. There is a warning, though, that people with hyperparathyroidism, sarcoidosis or using Coumadin/warfarin should not supplement with vitamin D. Vitamin D toxicity symptoms include nausea, headaches, constipation, kidney stones, mental confusion and arrhythmia.

Arterial elasticity is obviously a key health issue for everyone and is why it’s essential if you supplement with vitamin D, to also use optimal doses of a vitamin K combo supplement that includes a generous amount of vitamin K in the menaquinone 7 (MK7) form to lower the risk of calcium deposition in soft tissues and arteries and direct it to bone tissue where it belongs.

You’re right to question the calcium factor as a culprit for causing palpitations or outright arrhythmia. As we know from many previous posts, low intracellular magnesium allows influx of calcium to dominate inside the cells and as we know, calcium stimulates muscle contraction or is excitatory.

As George forewarns, I do recommend the ExaTest because it's the only true evaluation of electrolyte levels inside the cell. I also acknowledge the cost and inconvenience factor but if at all possible, at least one ExaTest test is worth the hassle. It's not just for the magnesium, but the other electrolytes and their ratios that's very telling...esp. the Magnesium-to-Calcium and Potassium-to-Sodium. We may think we are doing well with these, but nothing is more graphic than seeing the actual report.

Carolyn Dean does mention Exatest in her online book… she says:
The ExaTest is an even more accurate test than the Magnesium RBC. Scrapings
from under the tongue are sent to a lab, stained with special dyes and viewed under an
electron microscope. Magnesium, calcium, potassium, sodium, chloride, and phosphorus
are measured with this test. This test costs several hundred dollars but it is fully covered
by insurance with a doctor’s prescription. p 47

There are considerations that need to be mentioned about calcium as that's frequently a culprit. If Mg is low, then Ca will use that opportunity to rush into occupy that space inside the cell. We should never take calcium supplements and be very aware that the body's requirement for calcium is actually quite low. Calcium intake from food needs to be assessed because it can be quite easy to overload especially by dairy consumption. I’ll elaborate more on that later on, but I wanted to mention it here because you brought up the palpitation symptoms… and often, it’s the Mg:Ca ratio that’s the problem for afibbers. Overall, excess calcium is a killer for everyone… one way or another.

Many people may think their magnesium supplementation is adequate but don’t consider the constant demands that rapidly deplete magnesium so their dose of 400 or 600 mg a day may not be nearly enough to off-set the continual usage demand. Dosing more frequently and always at bedtime can be very beneficial…using bowel tolerance as a guide. Stress is a huge depleter of magnesium and these days, virtually everyone is stressed whether they sense it or not.

Today’s foremost magnesium researcher and nutritional biologist, Andrea Rosanoff, PhD, says:
Extra vitamin D enabling more calcium absorption without adequate magnesium is not the optimal way to achieve preventive health. Extra calcium in the face of inadequate magnesium can bring on issues of calcification of soft tissues and over-action of cells in the “fight or flight” reaction (See Resnick articles of the 1990s and the two-minute video on my Web site www.MagnesiumEducation.com). Balance of calcium with magnesium is an important aspect of long-term health, and it is especially important in these days where the calcium-to-magnesium ratio has been rising in the United States steadily since 1977. Traditionally, a two-to-one calcium-to-magnesium intake ratio has been recommended as a maximum (i.e., you can go lower than this but not higher). And, today in the United States, that ratio is above three and in some groups such as older women who are taking calcium supplements, the ratio is above four. This is not a healthy calcium-to-magnesium ratio, and adding vitamin D supplements in the face of such high ratios can only exacerbate the negative effects. It is better to bring one’s magnesium status up, recheck the vitamin D level and then go from there.

A brief notation on highlights of calcium intake is relevant. The very excellent book by Cardiologist, Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD, Death by Calcium, is a wealth of key points with study references that include vitamins D, K, calcium, magnesium and functions in the body. Dr. Levy over-rules doctor who are hedging and still recommending calcium supplements. You can get all the calcium you need (and then some) from food. Many still suggest calcium supplements in a ratio of 1:1 with magnesium as safe. Beware. Dr. Levy is adamant about not following that advice. Following are just a few extremely important facts from Dr. Levy on the calcium/magnesium/vitamin D topic. I advise everyone to read this book and assess their dietary intake of calcium. Eliminating dairy is a great start.

Quoting, Dr. Levy:

For clarification: “Calcium is essential for body function and that’s not being called into question. The goal is to expose the real and grave danger of pumping excessive amounts of calcium into our bodies.” (p.28)

“The amount of calcium needed for a healthy cellular function is infinitesimally small relative to the amount found in bones. Most adults have no need for significant calcium intake and older people already are significantly accumulating calcium.” (p.28)

Chapter 3 “Calcium’s Deadly Myths - Excess calcium is a killer. It increases all-cause mortality by 250%. The government’s RDA for calcium (1,000-3,000 mg) passes the body’s actual need for calcium by a mile and the idea that you can’t get enough calcium without dairy products is patently false. Cultures that consume no dairy at all have much lower incidence of osteoporosis than Americans. Over one-third of Americans over the age of 45 have evidence of arterial calcification.”

On Vitamin K, Dr. Levy notes: An increased dietary intake of vitamin K has been associated with a lesser incidence of coronary heart disease and lesser amounts of coronary artery calcification. He lists benefits as – inhibiting abnormal calcifications outside the bones, helps dissolve existing abnormal calcifications, may increase bone density and definitely decreases fracture risk and increases collagen content when administered in pharmacological doses. Vitamins K1 and K1 have never been found to have definable toxicity at any dose level.

Dr. Levy says "the USDA food pyramid and the government's calcium RDAs have encouraged all of us to ingest toxic amounts of calcium at an incalculable cost to public health." Over many pages he details the body's calcium needs and why there is no science backing the RDA. He offers a chart for average calcium needs by age for males and females and takes into account the average amount that's excreted daily. For adults ages 36 to 80 - they need zero calcium for bone growth. An average of ~170 mg is excreted daily and the total daily need is ~170 mg... and total average ingestion need is listed as listed as 200 - 300 mg with the notation that the extra amount of more calcium must be ingested to compensate for the approximately 30% of calcium that is not absorbed by the digestive system." p 194-196

----
My comments:

Since excess calcium no matter whether ingested or liberated via excess vitamin D, obviously can stimulate arrhythmia or palpitations. If you are optimizing vitamin D levels to meet the requirements, then testing is essential until you know where your body "holds". I had to take 10,000 IU a day for 4 months to reach the 70 ng/ml my doctor wanted. The improvement with my muscle pain diagnosed as 'fibromyalgia' (and not vitamin D deficiency) was amazing. I started at 18 ng/ml and had previously doctored for years but no one bothered back then to test for D deficiency. Today, it's different. And, incidentally, at the onset of my Afib back then, I was also supplementing with calcium... but no magnesium. None of the cardiologists I consulted mentioned either nutrients. Probably still don't.

Jackie

Death by Calcium
Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD
[www.amazon.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Andrea Rosanoff, PhD
The Center for Magnesium Education and Research, LLC
[www.magnesiumeducation.com]
August 11, 2016 03:40PM
Thank you so much, Jackie, for the youtube link! This information was very timely for me. I have been debating about the need for more calcium in my diet, and now, I don't need to worry about it. My awareness of supplementing with vitamin C was increased as well. Thanks, again! smiling smiley

Marsh
August 12, 2016 08:23AM
Hi Marsh - Glad you found the info useful. Everyone should be aware of the calcium precaution.

Be well,
Jackie
August 13, 2016 04:46PM
"There is a warning, though, that people with hyperparathyroidism, sarcoidosis or using Coumadin/warfarin should not supplement with vitamin D. "

Jackie : maybe I have missed this point but it is the first time I have read that as a warfarin user I should not take Vit D supplements which I have been doing thinking it was helpful!

Kaytee
August 14, 2016 11:33AM
Kaytee .

When you add in the use of warfarin to this vitamin D supplementation topic, it becomes more complicated. If you check pharmaceutical interactions, you’ll see that none are listed for vitamin D and warfarin/Coumadin.

One example from this website:
[www.drugs.com]
Drug interactions between Vitamin D3 and warfarin

Results for the following 2 drugs:
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) warfarin Interactions between your selected drugs
There were no interactions found in our database between Vitamin D3 and warfarin

However, since it is well known that high doses vitamin D over time, can raise calcium levels in the blood and cause soft tissue calcifications… (as well as arrhythmias because high calcium blocks magnesium from the intracellular space.) This is why regular testing to monitor 25 OHD levels is important.

So then, the discussion - out of necessity - needs to address the use of Vitamin K 2 MK 7 when taking higher doses of vitamin D and this is where caution for those on warfarin is most important. As you read the following, you’ll note there are always precautions listed not to use Vitamin K2 without discussing with your physician.

Enough emphasis often isn’t given to the importance of using vitamin K2 MK7 or menaquinone 7 which helps stabilize warfarin, helps support bone health and prevents soft tissue calcifications which are common with warfarin use. Read more at this link from our archives: [afibbers.org]

Take the time to read through the following links and note that small amounts of Vitamin K2 MK7 (menaquinone 7) are found to be useful in preventing soft tissue calcifications. Long-term use of warfarin is well known to cause various calcification (such as lungs, aorta, cardiac muscle and arteries) because of the interference with vitamin K.

Life Extension [www.lifeextension.com]

[www.lifeextension.com]

Early research on the menaquione 7 form of Vitamin K

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Vitamin K2 Shown to Reduce CVD Risk
The Rotterdam Study (2004) showed that high dietary intake of vitamin K2 – but not K1 – has a strong protective effect on cardiovascular health. This population-based study, which took place over a 10-year period, included 4,807 men and women 55 years of age or older at the start. Findings from the study indicate that eating foods rich in natural vitamin K2 (at least 32 μg per day) reduces the risk of both arterial calcification and cardiovascular disease by as much as 50% – with no undesirable side effects.

The Rotterdam findings were confirmed in 2008 by another Dutch population-based study investigating the protective effect of vitamin K2. The Prospect study by Gast et al included 16,057 women, and after 8 years of follow-up, vitamin K2 was found to decrease the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) by 9% for every 10 μg vitamin K2 consumed. The scientists found that the strongest correlation was seen in cases of intake of the higher menaquinones (MK-7, MK-8, and MK-9). Vitamin K1 intake was not significantly related to CHD.

Further, a 2012 double-blind, randomized, clinical trial evaluated the results of a 3-year regular intake of a 180 mcg daily dose of vitamin K2 menaquinone-7 (MK-7) by a group of 244 healthy post-menopausal Dutch women, randomly assigned to receive daily either vitamin K2 or placebo capsules. The trial showed substantial benefits in preventing age-related stiffening of arteries resulting in increase of the PWV (pulse wave velocity) in the placebo group, but not in the vitamin K2 group. Most remarkably, the vitamin K2 group showed it not only prevented stiffening, it also resulted in an unprecedented statistically significant improvement of vascular elasticity both measured with ultrasound techniques and PWV.

Vitamin K2 & Blood Thinners
The mechanism by which blood-thinning medications work inhibits vitamin K. Vitamin K1, due to its ability to support healthy blood clotting, may interact or interfere with anti-coagulants such as warfarin. Researchers concluded in one study that vitamin K2 as MK-7 supplementation at doses as low as 10 μg (lower than usual retail dose of 45 μg) significantly influenced anticoagulation sensitivity in some individuals. Thus, the researchers recommended avoiding use of MK-7 supplements if on vitamin K-antagonist therapy.

However, it has been shown that patients on oral anti-coagulant therapy who take up to 50 mcg of MK-7 per day have more complete activation of osteocalcin without interfering with the effect of the blood thinner. In other words, taking a small amount of MK-7 allows one to avoid the side effects of these medications without interfering with their intended benefits.

On the basis of the latest insights and in order to remain on the safe side, it is recommended that patients on conventional blood thinners consult with their doctor before taking a K2 supplement, since taking more than 50 mcg of K2 might interfere with the prescription.

References:
Gast et al. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2009 Sep;19(7):504-10.
Knapen et al. Thromb Haemost. 2015 May;113(5):1135-44.
Theuwissen et al. Thromb Haemost. 2013 Jun;11(6):1085-92.
Schurgers et al. Blood. 2007 Apr 15;109(8):3279-83.
Source: [vitamink2.org]

Also:
MenaQ7 PURE Vitamin K2 shown to Protect Cardiovascular Muscle Damage Against Calcification in New study

Nutrients, an international, peer-reviewed journal for studies related to Human Nutrition, has approved for publication in September 2015 a new study showing the protective effect inhibiting muscle damage from calcification of Vitamin K2 as MK-7 (menaquinone-7; MenaQ7® PURE provided by NattoPharma) supplementation on cardiovascular calcification.

The study, “High-Dose Menaquinone-7 Supplementation Reduces Cardiovascular Calcification in a Murine Model of Extraosseous Calcification,” is significant because it adds to the substantial body of evidence demonstrating the cardiovascular benefits of Vitamin K2 as MK-7, lending further understanding to the mechanism by which it inhibits calcification damage to cardiovascular muscle.

[nattopharma.com]

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

[www.anaboliclabs.com]

Hope this helps.

Jackie
August 15, 2016 04:07PM
Thank you very much Jackie, much for me to consider (no support from my UK General Practitioners for supplements).

Kaytee
September 22, 2016 06:13PM
Jackie - thanks so much for taking the time to put that long reply together! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread!

And thanks to everyone else that added their input. I appreciate it.

Since I originally started this topic I have stopped taking vitamin D all together. Well, actually I reduced it to about 500IU a day. I haven't had PVCs and PACs for about 20 straight days!!

Interestingly enough, the past few days I started introducing vitamin D back into the mix - just 2,000IU a day. Well since I started doing that the PVCs and PACs have returned but not nearly as bad as before. I don't know if this is pure coincidence or if there is a definite connection. There was one day, for example, where I skipped the vitamin D and I still had PVCs and PACs that day.

I'm going to have my vitamin D level tested again to use as a base line. Then I'm going to continue to tinker with my vitamin D and magnesium levels to see what works. Then I'll test my vitamin D levels again in a few monthssmiling smiley

I'm inclined to conclude that there is a definite link between my PVCs and PACs and my vitamin D intake but who knows. I could be just chasing my tail too.

Travis

P.S. Hey Jeff...great to see you around here. Thanks for visiting my blog and participating!
September 23, 2016 10:44AM
Hi Travis.... Your vitamin D experiment is very interesting ..... and also plausible.

I'm assuming the cutting back and then increasing the D, and your respective responses, point to a calcium influx when you take the extra D. Calcium being excitatory and blocking the calming function of magnesium... thus, ectopics.

I, too, am wondering about your 25 OH D levels..so testing will be good... and also wonder how much of the Menaquinone 7.. (K2) you are using along with the D supplements.... to reduce circulating calcium... which is a must.

Do you use the K2 MK7... and is it 200 mcg daily? Also, your magnesium intake may be too low for your needs so that's also a consideration if you test low for vitamin D and need to supplement with more.

Many people don't need Vit. D doses as high as 5,000 daily and others need 8,000 and often more to reach and maintain the more optimal levels. So... until you are tested, I'd stick with low doses of vitamin D (or none) that keep your heart calm. The best advice: Listen to your body.

Let me know what your tests indicate when you do have that done. It will be a good info for others as well ....just to be "aware"... of the potential. "Test. Don't Guess"

Thanks for your response.

Be well,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login