Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to supplement with Potassium safely

Posted by smackman 
How to supplement with Potassium safely
June 24, 2016 04:04PM
I have no trouble supplementing magnesium but Potassium scares me. I believe the daily recommended dosage is 4700 mg? How do you do this safely? It is hard if not impossible to eat enough foods high in potassium to achieve 4700 mg a day.
Also, From what I understand, To Much potassium is really bad for you whereas to muchmagnesium goes out of the body fairly easy with no harm.

I really believe I gots handle on the magnesium but supplementing with potassium scares me.
I have never been told I was low on potassium or magnesium . No one where I live gives one of those exotic test that is talked about on this website.
I want to do everything possible to help myself.
Any input would be appreciated . Thanks

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated
Re: How to supplement with Potassium safely
June 24, 2016 07:02PM
Hi Smackman…. First, as is noted regularly in previous posts, the caution is to be sure that you have healthy kidney function before supplementing with potassium or magnesium.

Also, as a reminder - keep in mind that high dietary intakes of sodium are not at all uncommon…especially if one eats packaged, processed or restaurant food regularly. Controlling salt intake allows the potassium you do get from food and that which you augment through supplementation to actually work.

Forum posts on supplementing with potassium are plentiful. Several are very detailed and worth reviewing. Start with this early contribution from Patrick Chambers, MD, (aka...PC), one of the original members from long ago. While it’s somewhat technical, PC does restate his points in practical terms as well. Just read over for content to get the general idea. PC used serum (blood) potassium levels as a guide or indicator to monitor his potassium levels. This was before we discovered the reliability and accuracy of the ExaTest… which was designed for quick, accurate use by NASA and astronaut health monitoring…. so if a serum potassium level is low, you can be very sure that your intracellular level is also quite low.

He offers this Conclusion:
You can’t directly control the arrhymogenic substrate (PVs) except through PVI. You can’t
effectively control vagal or sympathetic tone except through meds. That leaves low potassium. If
you want to get serious about controlling your episodes, then you must get serious about your
potassium intake. You must address not only how much you ingest but when you ingest it. Either
avoid those situations that assault your blood potassium gradient (stress, hypoglycemia,
dehydration, etc) or increase your daily potassium (and magnesium) intake with appropriately
time-targeted supplementation. Although food sources are best for most of what we need, for
potassium repletion IMHO supplements are superior (fish oils and omega 3s are another such
exception). Intake of potassium through diet alone is less convenient, less quantifiable and less
absorbable. And then there’s the glycemic load problem posed. Presently there is great
resistance within mainstream medicine to combining potassium supplementation with a
potassium sparing diuretic. Hyperkalemia and life threatening ventricular arrhythmias are of
great concern. However, with the pioneering work of Drs. Struthers, MacDonald and others this
overemphasized concern may soon take a back seat to a rational combination regimen. In my
view it is quite plausible that this LAF epidemic might be reversed, if such an aggressive regimen
were pursued by those afflicted. The study the at needs to be done is one similar to that
referenced above on LQTS (long QT syndrome), but with amiloride or triamterene and on LAF
patients instead. But until then please remember my above disclaimer and make sure you have
good renal function. My BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine are well within normal limits,
but I still routinely monitor my blood potassium.
Source: P Cells and Potassium
[www.afibbers.org]

Then go to Conference Room Session #72 Potassium/Sodium Ratio in Atrial Fibrillation (February 7 - June 11, 2011) [www.afibbers.org] Again read for the overall content and then study the points relevant to your questions. Start with the first two pages which is the report and reference links. The remaining 68 pages of discussion and refinement contribute to the understanding of potassium’s importance and function.

Here’s a post titled: Let’s Not Forget About Potassium…
[www.afibbers.org]

This interview by Richard Passwater, PhD on Potassium with Richard Moore, MD, PhD… is worth reading as well.
Potassium - to - Sodium Ratio Affects Overall Health
[www.drpasswater.com]

Hope this helps,
Jackie
June 24, 2016 10:33PM
Smackman... I should also have posted the link discussing the Cardymeter since you mentioned that potassium supplements are concerning to you. Many afibbers have relied on that to help increase potassium levels safely.
Read more in CR 74... [www.afibbers.org]

Our forum expert on the Cardymeter ...." Tom C " back then introduced the Cardymeter to us after his success. After his ablation, he also used it to keep his potassium from fluctuating.
J
June 25, 2016 02:00AM
It seems to complicated for me and to risky. I will read on it again but who am I to question 3 different Doctors whom have all told me through there lab work including Dr. Natale lab team that my potassium levels are fine.
If I cannot trust my GP or Cardiologist or one of the top EP,s in the country who say my potassium levels are fine, Whom am I to judge?
It's all confusing and scary to override these professionals in there fields of expertise.
I will continue to eat potassium rich food and take my magnesium to bowel tolerance.
Thanks for the advice. I just want to do the best for my body to keep this AFIB BEAST in check
June 25, 2016 01:14PM
Smackman...

Of course. Since you asked, I responded. Do what you feel comfortable with. Dietary control of sodium helps preserve the potassium you do manage to take in from foods.

Remember that Paleo man probably consumed 10,000 mg a day from plant sources. Here's a short summary report that helps drive home the importance of potassium for health. I fall short in enough plant consumption and stay away from high carb fruits such as bananas that contain potassium, so I supplement with potassium and work on keeping anti-inflammatory nutritional supplements high as well.

Best to you,
Jackie

98% of American Diets Potassium Deficient
By Michael Greger M.D.
May 23, 2013

Less than 2% of Americans achieve even the recommended minimum adequate intake of potassium, due primarily to inadequate plant food intake.

If you take any plant, burn it to ash, throw the ash in a pot of water, stir it around, skim it off and then let the water evaporate, you’ll be left with a white residue at the bottom known as pot ash. It has been used since the dawn of history for everything from making soap, glass, fertilizers, and bleach. It was not until 1807, when a new element was discovered in this so-called “vegetable alkali.” They called it pot ashium—potassium. True story, which I bring up only to emphasize the most concentrated source in our diet, plants.

Every cell in the body requires the element potassium to function. As I detail in my 2-min. video 98% of American Diets Potassium Deficient, for much of the last 3 million years or so, we ate so many plants that we probably got 10,000 mg of potassium in our daily diet. Today, we’d be lucky to get 3,000.

Less than 2% of Americans even get the recommended minimum adequate intake of 4,700 a day. To get even the adequate intake, the average American would have to eat like 5 more bananas worth of potassium a day. 98% of Americans eat potassium deficient diets because they don’t eat enough plants.

Why do we care? A review of all the best studies ever done on potassium intake and it’s relationship to two of our top killers, stroke and heart disease, was recently published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. A 1600 mg per day higher potassium intake was associated with a 21% lower risk of stroke. That still wouldn’t get the average American up to the minimum adequate intake, but it might be able to wipe out a fifth of their stroke risk. The paper concludes: “These results support recommendations for higher consumption of potassium-rich foods to prevent vascular diseases.”

What does “potassium-rich foods” mean? Find out in my 2-min. video 98% of American Diets Potassium Deficient. Hint: bananas don’t even make it into the top 50 sources!

People eating plant-based diets are often asked where they get their protein (and have to explain that plants are the preferred source). Maybe they should then ask where people eating conventional diets get their potassium–or their fiber for that matter *see Relieving Yourself of Excess Estrogen). For more on what we evolved to eat, see Paleolithic Lessons.

The banana listing reminds me of a similarly humorous finding about the levels of eyesight-saving nutrients in eggs versus greens. See Egg Industry Blind Spot.

Bananas are also kind of pitiful antioxidant-wise (see Best Berries and Which Fruit Fights Cancer Better?). Is it worth going out of our way to eat plants with the most antioxidants, though? See Anti-Inflammatory Antioxidants to find out.

–Michael Greger, M.D.

Source: [nutritionfacts.org]
2-minute video [nutritionfacts.org]
June 25, 2016 04:54PM
I would analyze your diet for several days, to see what your K+ intake is before starting.
June 25, 2016 07:16PM
Definitely.... Do a log for a week using the website by Oregon State that gives a very complete log of food potassium sources...
[lpi.oregonstate.edu] - scroll down the page to the food listings chart.

That way you can determine how much more you need to consume daily to meet the minimum RDI which is really on the low side.

Jackie
June 25, 2016 09:47PM
Can I take a potassium supplement in pill form? Can someone recommend a good brand to buy? I know I do not get 4700 mg of potassium a day. If I could just take a supplement in pill form like my magnesium, I would have to be better off.
Please remember I live in the "Boonies"; No big medical center around so I have limited resources big time.
If I could take a OTC potassium supplement in pill form, I could accomplish a lot towards 4700 mg a day.
Thanks
June 25, 2016 09:49PM
The Anti-Fib Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would analyze your diet for several days, to see
> what your K+ intake is before starting.

My potassium intake daily maybe 2500 mg a day and that's on a good day but the beta blocker I take supposedly raises the amount of potassium in my body.

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated
June 26, 2016 06:07AM
Do NOT try to take 4,700mg/day of 'supplemental' potassium Smackman. Try to get most of your daily dose from food, drinks like organic coconut water and, and then if needed which it may well be if you have any runs of PACs/PVCs, then take up to a total of 1,500mg a day of potassium from the potassium gluconate powder form which you will get by taking three teaspoons doses of the NOW Brand of Potassium Gluconate powder in a day mixed in 8 ounces of water. You can get the Potassium Gluconate powder in 1 lb bottles from NOW Brand via IHerb (buy a few bottles at a time as it is cheap too) .

Your Serum potassium measured at your docs office can radically shift intraday from 4.9 which is a very heart quiet and smooth level down to 3.4 which is getting much too low and can lead to a jumpy heart over a 12 hour period in some folks! especially some afibbers who then to be genetic wasters of potassium and magnesium, meaning in folks like us it is not uncommon that these heart calming electrolytes pass through our systems far faster than a non-AFIB prone person.

Again as Jackie noted, you must have good magnesium stores before adding in supplemental potassium ( starting with one teaspoon per day at a time).

Its nothing to be scary of with a little planning, a bit of testing and general understanding.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 06:46PM by Shannon.
June 26, 2016 02:53PM
Shannon Wrote:
> Do NOT try to take 4,700mg/day of 'supplemental'
> potassium Smackman. Try to get most of your daily
> dose from food, drinks like organic coconut water
> and, and then if needed which it may well be if
> you have any runs of PACs/PVCs, then take up to a
> total of 1,500mg a day of potassium gluconate
> powder spread over three teaspoons doses in a day
> mixed in 8 ounces of water three times a day. You
> can get the Potassium Gluconate powder in 1 lb
> bottles (buy a few at a time) from NOW Brand via
> IHerb.
>
> Your Serum potassium measured at your docs office
> can radically shift intraday from 4.9 which is a
> very heart quiet and smooth level down to 3.4
> which is getting much too low and can lead to a
> jumpy heart over a 12 hour period in some folks!
> especially some afibbers who then to be genetic
> wasters of potassium and magnesium, meaning in
> folks like us it is not uncommon that these heart
> calming electrolytes pass through our systems far
> faster than a non-AFIB prone person.
>
> Again as Jackie noted, you must have good
> magnesium stores before adding in supplemental
> potassium ( starting with one teaspoon per day at
> a time).
>
> Its nothing to be scary of with a little planning,
> a bit of testing and general understanding.
>
> Shannon

I have Powdered Potassium Citrate. 1 milligram of this powder contains 99 milligrams of Magnesium Citrate. It is made by Bulk supplements.com and it is a 250 gram bag with 909 servings based on what the package says.
99 mg of this milligram is Potassium citrate. This bag contains NO other active ingredients; no soy; dairy, yeast gluten etc...
To make a long story short,, there is 275 milligrams of product per milligram with 99 mg of Potassium Citrate in each milligram.

Now I have to convert milligrams to teaspoons which one serving ( 275 milligrams) is 1/10 of a teaspoon. I have nothing that small. I have a 1/4 teaspoon.

1 Teaspoon [US] = 5000 milligrams

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2016 09:45PM by smackman.
June 28, 2016 02:59AM
> Shannon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
then take up to a total of 1,500mg a day of potassium gluconate

I presume Shannon means up to 1,500 mg/day of potassium as gluconate which is 1.5 g/day of potassium and 15-99mg servings.

smackman Wrote:

> To make a long story short,, there is 275
> milligrams of product per milligram with 99 mg of
> Potassium Citrate in each milligram.

Presume this should read, in each serving
>
> Now I have to convert milligrams to teaspoons
> which one serving ( 275 milligrams) is 1/10 of a
> teaspoon. I have nothing that small. I have a 1/4
> teaspoon.
>
> 1 Teaspoon [US] = 5000 milligrams

I presume you've measured this on a gram scale to convert?

If this is correct, then according to Shannon's logic you can 15 servings or 1.5 tsp/day.

If it gives you any comfort, I've taken up to 9 grams/day of potassium without any negative consequences - not suggesting anyone else follow my lead. I took 2 grams/day for many years. The main issue is healthy kidneys. If you have them, any excess potassium will be excreted in the urine, if you don't excess potassium will accumulate and can cause problems.

George
June 28, 2016 06:43PM
Yes thanks George,

I am referring strickly to using Potassium Gluconate powder as originally offered by NOW Brand supplements to get a specific dose of elemental Potassium listed in terms 540mg of (Elemental) Potassium from one teaspoon of potassium gluconate powder. This current and all future versions of Now Brands Potassium Gluconate powder, I understand, has now been switched back to the original standard 540 milligrams / teaspoon of elemental potassium from potassium gluconate as George clarified.

Note: That after a brief production run change by NOW Brand, where their Potassium Gluconate powder concentration was roughly cut in half from the original 540mg/teaspoon strength.. it has now gone back to the original 540mg/teaspoon concentration of elemental potassium in more recent production runs of the product (or so Ive been told by an IHERB rep) so make sure it says on your bottle 'one teaspoon = 540mg potassium from potassium gluconate powder'. If it says something less than this concentration, then make your dosing adjustments accordingly.

Therefore, a maximum daily intake of three teaspoons a day should give you a total of 1,620mg of Potassium from the potassium gluconate form of powder from NOW Brand supplements ... or rounded off to roughly 1,500mg/day Potassium from K-gluconate.

PS I clarified too in a couple sentences in my earlier post above where I discuss amounts of Now Brand Potassium Gluconate powder to make it clear what the maximum amount of that product you should take in a day is ... i.e. no more than 3 teaspoons a day.

PSS. I never need to take more than one teaspoon of Now Brand Potassium gluconate, and only very rarely need to take it at all these last number of years ... and only do when either a few beats of ectopy appear, sometimes after too much heat and exertion, or one of those days where normal NSR is running with a slightly elevated HR for a short while I will down a teaspoon and that always quiets things right down.

So don't automatically assume you need 3 teaspoons of potassium gluconate powder a day. Experiment and only add a second of third teaspoon if you have rocking and rolling ectopy or arrhythmia that hasn't responded to one teaspoon.. but never exceed 3 teaspoons in a day and always insure sufficient magnesium repletion coincides when adding in supplemental potassium to your normal dietary potassium intake.

Using a Cardymeter is the best way to confirm intraday serum equivalent potassium levels.

Shannon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 06:55PM by Shannon.
June 28, 2016 09:13PM
Smackman...

Unfortunately, by law, potassium capsules are limited to 99 mg/capsule... (unless it's a professional product distributed through healthcare professionals, then they can exceed the 99 mg.)... that's why we were happy to learn about the NOW brand bulk powder which allows for easier dosing of higher amounts without swallowing so many capsules at one time.

You may like to review this old post on Potassium... that has a lot of reader input and observations that should help you feel more comfortable about supplementing with potassium. It will help you gain some confidence. [www.afibbers.org]

Many people don't eat enough potassium-containing foods on a daily basis and as I commented previously, unless one cooks meals from scratch with basic, natural ingredients, it's difficult to eliminate or control the amounts of sodium.

There was a post on potassium benefits other than for helping with Afib that I'm re-posting here for your benefit and that of new readers. The archives are full of great posts on potassium importance and benefits as well. It's an essential nutrient that is often forgotten.

The antique book published in 1992, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Potassium….but were too tired to ask, by Betty Kamen, PhD is written in her typical folksy way of explaining biochemistry to lay people. She comments the following when talking about the very important duties of both sodium and potassium in the body:

...." With such important duties, nature must have provided a way for you to secure and utilize the right amount of these element. And indeed it has! Potassium, the surprising chairperson of the board, is found in abundance in uncooked fruits and vegetables—especially in the rinds, husks and stalks of edible plants. Potassium intake has always been very substantial. Sodium, on the other hand, is relative scarce in natural foods. The original hunter-gatherer ingested a diet high in potassium, but low in sodium. Perhaps that’s the reason your kidneys easily remove excess potassium from your blood. Your metabolism is more frugal with sodium, simply because under natural conditions, there is less of it to be found and eaten. So your body handles sodium with a more sparing kind of metabolism. Your kidneys actually hoard sodium.

Average kidneys slow the loss of sodium to a mere 10 milligrams a day if the mineral is in short supply. Daily minimum potassium loss can be as high as 240 milligrams or 24 times the amount of sodium that is easily extracted. " unquote

Hope this helps you feel better about adding potassium.

Best to you,
Jackie

Here's the post:

[www.afibbers.org]

Author: Jackie (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: 09-24-10

We are really doing ourselves a healthy favor by optimizing our potassium stores to help prevent Afib because additionally, we also get many other benefits not often recognized or discussed. Following is a list of 25 additional benefits from potassium (K+). (The benefits are not limited to just these selected 25.)

There have been many important posts on potassium. Now in the Resource Section, we can access these great contributions quickly.

If you haven’t read these, be sure to do so.
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

As afibbers, we know that when we have optimal potassium and low sodium intakes, we are most likely to sustain Normal Sinus Rhythm and control ectopy. When the sodium-potassium pump has enough magnesium to function properly, then calcium is moved quickly and easily out of muscle cells and they relax. This also helps eliminate the risk of developing arterial stiffness and ultimately, hypertension.

Jackie Burgess, RDH (ret.)

Fatigue & Exercise
1. Potassium deficiency is often related to fatigue. Athletes have recognized that potassium is critical in fatigue prevention. Muscle tissue is the main reservoir of potassium. (Your heart is a muscle). Muscle potassium loss has been cited as a major factor associated with or contributing to muscle fatigue.
Lindinger, MI American Journal Physiology 1992

2.The site of exercise-induced muscle fatigue appears to be the muscle-cell membrane.
Sjogaard G “Role of exercise-induced potassium fluxes underlying muscle fatigue: a brief Rev.” Can Jnl of Phys and Pharm, 1991 Sept. 54(3):489-98.

3. Intense muscle contractions result in large changes in electrolyte concentrations, including potassium.
Lindinger MI, etal “Blood ion regulation during repeated maximal exercise and recovery in Hums.” Amer Jnl of Phys, 1992 Jan, 262:R126

4. Researchers conclude that potassium recovery is a slow process after prolonged low intensity contraction—due to inefficient Na/K+ pump activation.
Bystrom S; Sjogaard G. “Potassium homeostasis during and following exhaustie submaximal static handgrip contractions.” Acta Phys Scan, 1991 May, 142(1):59-66

Fatigue & adrenal glands
5. Potassium intake directs the manufacture of certain adrenal enzymes.
Lauber M; Boni-Schnetzler, MullerJ “Potassium raises cytochrome P450 1 beta mRNA level in zona gomerulosa of rat adrenals.” Mol and Cellular Endoc, 1990 Sept 10, 72(3):159-66.

6. Adrenals manufacture renin, important in calcium metabolism. Renin secretion is regulated and stimulated by potassium intake.
Inagami T etal. “Active and inactive renin in the adrenal.” Amer Jnl of Hypert, 1989 Apr, 2(4):311-9.

7. Adrenal regulation is helped by dietary sodium depletion or potassium intake.
Tremblay A, etal. Regulation of rat adrenal messenger RNA and protein levels for cytochrome P450 and adrenodoxin by dietary sodium depletion or potassium intake.” Jnl of BioChem, 1991 Feb 5, 266(4):2245-51.

Fatigue & environmental pollution
8. Sometimes the first warning of metal toxicity is the loss of electrolytes. Toxic metals such as cadmium, mercury, methyl-mercury inhibit sodium-potassium activity. Nickel and lead cause more pronounced losses of K+ than sodium. Studies show the Na-K+ pump is affected by lead.
Rajanna B etal. Effects of cadmium and mercury on NA(+)-K+, ATPase and uptake of 3H dopamine in rat brain synaptosomes.
Archives Inters de Phys et de Biocheimie 1990, Oct 98:291-6
Kone, BC, Brenner RM, Sulfhydryl-reactive heavy metals increase cell Memb K+ and Ca2+ transport in renal proximal tubule.
Jnl of Memb Biol, 1990 Jan, 113(1):1-12Bertoni JM, Low level load inhibits the Hum brain cation pump. Life Scis, 1991, 48(22):2149

Potassium & aging
Silent aging changes occur much younger than one might expect.

9. In the adaptation of your kidneys to sodium, the descent begins in your thirties. Mimran A {Renal Function and aging} Neph, 1990, 11:275-80

10. The older you are, the less efficient the activity in the sodium-potassium enzyme activity. Ruch S et al. “Aging: stimulation rate on cardiac intracellular Na+ activity and developed tension.” Mechanisms of Aging and Devel”, 1991, Nov 1, 60(3)303-13

11. Permeability of Cells to potassium declines with age
Adragna NC “Cation transport in vascular endothelial cells and aging” Jnl of Memb Biol 1991 Dec 124(3);285-91
Heseltine, D, etal Erythrocyte sodium, potassium and sodium fluxes with cell and subject ageing.” Clinica Chimica Aca, 1991, Jan 31,, 196(1):41-

12. A study at the Univ of Glasgow determined a decrease in muscular strength usually accepted as a symptom of “old age” may simply be a lack of potassium in the diet.
Cowar, NR; Judge TG, Jnl of the Amer Med Assoc, Oct 6, 1969

13. Analysis of membrane changes in cells of Alzheimer patients suggests the normal aging process of these cells is disturbed. Inadequate function of the sodium-potassium pump could be a major factor.
Bosman GJ, Bartholomew, KG, deGrip WJ, “Alzheimer’s disease and cellular aging: Memb-related events as clues to primary mechanisms. Ger, 1991, 37(1-3):95-112

14.More than 75% of seniors suffering from Xerostomia (dry mouth) were down to have significant deficiencies of potassium, among other nutrients.
Rhodus NL; Brown J. “The Assoc of xerostomia and inadequate intake in older adults.

Potassium & other conditions
The electromotive force behind nerve signals comes from the sodium-potassium pump on the nerve-cell membrane. Potassium deficiency can have a devastating effect.

Neurological Disorders
15. Decreased intracellular potassium has been noted in depressed patients. Those committing suicide were found to have decreased cerebral potassium.
Webb WL, Gehi M. “Electrolyte and fluid imbalance: Neurophychiatric manifestations” Psychodymamics, 1981, 22(3):199-203

16. Clinical signs of neuropathy in zinc deficiency are associated with sodium-potassium activity of nerves.
Mancini Met al. “Metabolic disturbances and antihypertensive Ther. Jur of Hypert. Supp 1991 Dec 9(3)S47

17. Bronchitis responds to potassium nitrate…. But now there are better forms to use.
Schwartz J, “Dietary factors and their relation to respiratory symptoms. The 2nd National Health and Nutr Examination Survey. Amer Jnl of Epidemiology, 1990 Jul 132:67-76

18. Immunity & toxicity protection
Because the sodium-potassium pump indirectly powers many membrane reactions, there is an important link between potassium and immunity. Fragile cell membranes due to insufficient electrical potential are weak and vulnerable and will have a hard time keeping toxic substances and dangerous viruses out.

Similarly, low level lead exposure on the human central nervous system can impair brain function. Studies show the Na-K pump is affected by lead.
Bertoni, JM “Low level lead inhibits the Hum Brain cation pump” Life Scis, 1991, 48(22):2149

19. Hypoglycemia
Potassium is depleted by low blood sugar because of over-activity of insulin which is the sugar-regulating hormone that drives sugar into the cells but uses up potassium in the process. A latest potassium deficiency can become symptomatic under the influence of insulin-stimulating foods such as those with a high glycemic index. [this is one reason we comment that for some afibbers, eating bananas counterproductive for potassium repletion. There are better food choices plus supplements.]
(Richard A, Kunin, MD case study- p. 153)

20. Migraines
One consequence of hypoglycemia is that potassium is depleted which permits increased cellular sodium and calcium which then can cause spasm in muscles of the blood vessels that contract during migraine. With or without headaches, potassium supplementation is an important of dietary treatment of hypoglycemia.

21. Diabetes
Potassium is closely related to diabetes disorders – i.e., metabolism of sucrose by cell membranes, production of insulin by pancreas, has been shown to lower blood sugar of diabetic patients. Cells of non-insulin dependent diabetics were found to have 15-20% reductions in sodium-potassium pump activity.
Rajeswari P etal Glucose induces lipid peroxidation and inactivation of Memb-associated ion-transport enzymes in Hum erythrocytes in vivo and in vitro. Jnl of Cellular Phys 1991 Oct, 139(1):100-9

22. Weight
As weight increases, the sodium content of certain cells also increases.
Adeeb N. etal Effect of age, weight, race, sex on blood pressure and erythrocyte sodium pump characteristics. Clin and exp Hypert Part A Theory and Practice. 199, 12,(6):1115-34

Good sodium-potassium ratios offer more energy. If you burn more, you lose more weight. Caveat: caloric deprivation decreases potassium levels and thereby glucose and insulin efficiency. When potassium supplementation accompanies a diet, better insulin and glucose utilization are a bonus benefit.
Norbiato G etal. Effects of potassium supplementation on insulin binding and insulin action in Hum obesity. Eur Jnl of Clin Invest 1984, 44:414-9

23. Alcoholism
Low levels of potassium are associated with alcoholism and also with intensity of symptoms. Potassium excretion increases with alcohol ingestion. Alcoholics frequently exhibit potassium deficiency. In the early ‘90’s, about 300,000 annual sudden deaths in the US were related to alcoholism. Arrhythmias and stenosis have been implicated. In 1978, the term “holiday heart syndrome” was described by researchers.
Ettinger PO etal “Arrhythmias and the Holiday Heart; alcohol-associated cardiac rhythm disorders. Amer Heart Jnl, 1978, 95(5)555-62

24. Hearing
The activities of the sodium potassium pump decrease significantly in the presence of intense noise exposure. Metabolic disturbance may aggravate inner ear hair cell damage, leading to hearing loss. Hair cells of the inner ear work as electroreceptors, the outer hair cells as electrocytes. A layer of potassium ions on the lower surface of the membrane causes excitation of the inner hair cells as soon as certain contact occurs.
Mark HE, Inner ear as an electrosensory organ. Laryngo-Rhino-Otologic, 1991July, 70:340:-9

25. Urinary Incontinence/ Bladder control
Urinary leaking is found to be the result of cells low in potassium.
This comment was not from Dr. Kamen’s book. Sufferers of this condition would be well advised to give potassium a try if they have normal kidney function.
A multi-centre study of potassium deficiency in the elderly (1973)
[informahealthcare.com]

[It’s a shame this fact isn’t more commonly known; but then, it might cut down on the sales of Depends and the like.]

Many other conditions benefit from optimal potassium…
The foregoing are just a few of many listed in the book. I did not include: details on elevated cholesterol and hypertension, stroke as related to hypertension, osteoporosis, colorectal polyps, tear function, cataracts, AIDS, regulating acid base balance, fertility, pregnancy and lactation. Additionally, potassium deficiency is recognized in Rheumatoid Arthritis patients and in some general arthritis conditions as well.

Just as a reminder:
•The hormonal control of potassium is mediated through the adrenal cortex hormones and hormones of the anterior pituitary gland.

•Retention of potassium is facilitated and ensured by magnesium. The heart muscle cannot hold onto potassium in the absence of magnesium. Magnesium is required for proper function of the sodium-potassium pump.

•Vitamin B6 assists potassium metabolism and helps assure potassium adequacy.

Sodium recognized as detrimental in 1852
Too much salt (sodium chloride) in the diet is probably the worst offender. In 1852, R. T. Trall, MkD, from New York wrote in Hydropathic Encyclopedia....
“ The theory that additional salt in the diet is essential is miserable trash at beat. Perhaps there was never a great and more general delusion in relation to the nature, properties and uses of common salt.”
The one nation that shakes more salt into its food than any other country in the world is the United States of America.

REFERENCE
All statements and excerpts are resource referenced from the book “Everything You’ve Always Wanted to Know About Potassium, but Were Too Tired to Ask!”... by Betty Kamen, PhD. Published in 1992, the study references from this book indicate there was an amazing amount of important information known back then about potassium. It seems to have been forgotten over the years.

I had the privilege of being in the audience for one of Dr. Kamen’s presentations when I was first embarking on my holistic healing journey.

Bio
For more than half a century, Betty Kamen's voice has been heard in the developing arena called "The Nutrition Movement." She often refers to herself as the oldest "health nut" in the country, and for good reason. Her interest was first peaked in 1948, when her amazing career began to unfold. Dr. Kamen has 24 books in print, and has had more than 500 articles published in national magazines. Her "gigs" have taken her all over the world in her decades-long efforts to bring important underground, health-promoting knowledge your way, the kind of information that eventually reaches mainstream (when it is too often too late for many). She is an honorary member of the Indonesian Medical Society, and is well-know in Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and Japan.

Betty Kamen, with graduate degrees in psychology and nutrition education, is internationally known as a distinguished author, lecturer, and nutrition consultant. Betty is in constant demand as a radio and TV talk show guest and host, with countless media appearances to her credit. More than 500 articles written by Dr. Kamen have been published in national magazines. She has written books and several booklets for eminent publishers.

Betty has been honored with an ultimate tribute: A full page feature story in the New York Times describing her work and lifestyle. She has also been the only non-laboratory research reporter invited to participate in both the International Palm Oil Research Symposium and the Sixth Annual Asian Congress on Nutrition in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. She is also an honorary member of the Indonesian medical society.

Dr. Kamen taught at Hofstra University and developed a nutrition program for, and presented seminars at Stanford University Medical School (Continuing Education Department). She served as nutrition consultant for the Committee of the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training, Washington, D.C. Betty is often the keynote speaker at regional and national health trade shows. She presents endless consumer seminars, lectures and workshops, both here and abroad, sponsored by manufacturers and health organizations.
June 30, 2016 09:23PM
My potassium citrate is a powder made by Bulk Supplements. 1/10 of a teaspoon is approx 100 milligrams of potassium citrate.
1 teaspoon is approx. 5000 mg of Potassium Citrate.
I am currently eating potassium rich foods such as Avacodos, pinto beans, mixed frozen vegetables and protein such as Low sodium turkey meat and also chicken. I am skeptical of starting a potassium supplement knowing as little as I do about this regiment.

I want to use the Potassium Citrate powdername brand I currently have. It has never been opened and is good through 2018. It's just getting the dosage right. My post above explains the dosage but I am still skeptical and do not want to over do it
June 30, 2016 09:47PM
GeorgeN Wrote:
> -----
> > Shannon Wrote:
> >
>
> then take up to a total of 1,500mg a day of
> potassium gluconate
>
> I presume Shannon means up to 1,500 mg/day of
> potassium as gluconate which is 1.5 g/day of
> potassium and 15-99mg servings.
>
> smackman Wrote:
>
> .
> > To make a long story short,, there is 275
> > milligrams of product per milligram with 99 mg
> of
> > Potassium Citrate in each milligram.
>
> Presume this should read, in each serving
> >
> > Now I have to convert milligrams to teaspoons
> > which one serving ( 275 milligrams) is 1/10 of
> a
> > teaspoon. I have nothing that small. I have a
> 1/4
> > teaspoon.
> >
> > 1 Teaspoon [US] = 5000 milligrams
>
> I presume you've measured this on a gram scale to
> convert?
>
> If this is correct, then according to Shannon's
> logic you can 15 servings or 1.5 tsp/day.
>
> If it gives you any comfort, I've taken up to 9
> grams/day of potassium without any negative
> consequences - not suggesting anyone else follow
> my lead. I took 2 grams/day for many years. The
> main issue is healthy kidneys. If you have them,
> any excess potassium will be excreted in the
> urine, if you don't excess potassium will
> accumulate and can cause problems.
>
> George

I made the conversion by using a milligram to teaspoon conversion calculator online.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login