Posted by ClayS 
Impact of stroke reduced by stem cells - Stanford trial
June 03, 2016 09:27AM
Thought this might be of interest here. Early days yet but wow:

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Re: Impact of stroke reduced by stem cells - Stanford trial
June 03, 2016 01:25PM
Thanks Clay,

I have cousin who's been a quad because of a spinal injury 36 years ago. He gets treated at Stanford, in fact they recently helped with deterioration by removing fragments from the original injury site. I forwarded this to him as there could be future applicability to his situation and he's already in their "system."

George
Que
June 04, 2016 03:02AM
I was just about to post this. Here's the Stanford article:

[med.stanford.edu]

They are recruiting for participants in the clinical trial.

Go Stanford! I was fortunate to go there and have to say I was thoroughly impressed.
June 04, 2016 02:45PM
Thanks Clay, heard some talk on this at HRS a few weeks ago in SF.

Looks very exciting though likely to get even more so as these discovery's continue to mature!

Cheers
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2016 05:18PM by Shannon.
June 04, 2016 04:25PM
Shannon -

I agree - its an incredibly exciting time in biotech. Do you hear anything regarding stem cell research pertaining to afib? Not sure if it really applies but curious if the offending substrate could be treated with stem cells - or something like that...

Thanks!

C
Que
June 04, 2016 07:15PM
Dr. Marco Perez at Stanford is currently investigating stem cells for AFib.
[med.stanford.edu]
June 05, 2016 02:21AM
There are some preliminary investigations into the feasibility of using a kind of stem cell based 'ablation' per se, to use targeted stem cell seeding on
Given areas of he heart known to be substrate contributors for sustained arrhythmias, but it's still very early on in the conceptual stage.

It's kind of like the approach for post MI stem cell repair that has been done in some foreign countries with moderate to good results in improving LVEF and reducing cardiomyopathy. But for AFZiB itself we are not just around the corner as far as I am aware.

Keep an eye out though as certainly there will be progress here before too awfully long I suspect with this whole general approach that may well mark a key new paradigm in how we look at and treat many areas of medicine once it is ready for prime time in cardiology and other specialties.

Stem cell therapy is already being used for frontline orthopedic injury treatments nd a number of other areas.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 03:18PM by Shannon.
June 08, 2016 02:02PM
Many have attempted injected cell therapies for heart muscle repair, all have failed so far. The latest was Celladon (http://www.fiercebiotech.com/financials/celladon-pulls-plug-on-r-d-after-a-crushing-gene-therapy-failure). The only recent drug (oral) that shown any positive impact on reduced hospitalization is from Novartis (see Entresto) Many will continue to try with cell based therapy no doubt given the potential prize.
June 12, 2016 07:47AM
There is also the story of Gordie Howe who received stem cell therapy for stroke

[www.usatoday.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login