Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Potential Danger of using Iodine for Afib

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Potential Danger of using Iodine for Afib
May 27, 2016 03:49PM
There are some on the Forum who've had really good success in using Iodine but are there dangers for some people?

I had difficulty increasing my Iodine intake as it caused me to have hives. but by very, very slowly increasing the amount I can now tale 8 milligrams (of Lugol's Iodine). Over the last six months or so I have added 1.5 grams of that.

However - my TSH levels which have been around 5 for a few years have increased to 9.8 over that six month period & I've just been prescribed 25iu's of Levothyroxine.

I can see no other changes in my diet, supplements or lifestyle which would account this rise except the Iodine increase.

Sam
Re: Potential Danger of using Iodine for Afib
May 28, 2016 12:03PM
Sam - have you tested for thyroid antibodies? Although more common in women, with either Graves or Hashimoto's, the TSH will be elevated if you take iodine. Just a thought. There's typically a precaution about using iodine with Hashimoto's...or Graves although if you check the website... "Stop They Thyroid Madness," there is some indication it can be beneficial in certain instances and Mary Shoman's website (thyroid.about.com) also is a wealth of information.

Keep in mind that the TSH is just one monitoring marker and a controversial one at that, but high or very low numbers, do tend to be an indicator for the need for further thyroid assessment.

While I’ve never intentionally used iodine specifically to help with AF, I have used it because I tested low (TSH) and also because I had many symptoms of low iodine related as causal to a number of major problems such as fibrocystic breast disease, uterine fibroids and thyroid nodules plus many hypothyroid symptoms. All of this existed while the typical labs done to assess thyroid function were “normal” according to traditional lab values…and all occurred under the watch of various primary care physicians and Endocrinologists long before my Afib surfaced. However, no one ever wondered or assessed my iodine level or body temperature upon waking.

Then about 16 years ago, when I found a Functional Medicine practitioner in my area, I went for assessment and again, while the typical labs were in range, she focused on checking to see if I had autoimmune antibodies…(negative) but I did have elevated Reverse T3 and iodine was minorly low. I started on very low dose iodine at first and increased to about 5 mg daily. After the first year of iodine dosing, many of the nodules were ‘absent’ from the annual thyroid ultra-sound scan assessment. Yet, even today, unfortunately, I still have many of the typical ‘hypo’ thyroid classic symptoms including the most reliable test which is a consistently low basal body temperature (ala Broda Barnes, MD), although now is less “low” than initially. But I have felt all along that I feel better when using iodine. And, I was born, raised and still live in the Great Lakes region known as "the goiter belt" so an iodine deficiency seems plausible.

Jackie

Thyroid function is primarily regulated by thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), also known as thyrotropin. It is secreted by the pituitary gland to control thyroid hormone production and secretion, thereby protecting the body from hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. TSH secretion increases thyroidal uptake of iodine and stimulates the synthesis and release of T3 and T4.

In the absence of sufficient iodine, TSH levels remain elevated, leading to goiter, an enlargement of the thyroid gland that reflects the body's attempt to trap more iodine from the circulation and produce thyroid hormones.
(Source: National Institutes of Health - [ods.od.nih.gov] )

The hypothalamic–pituitary–thyroid axis (HPT axis for short, aka thyroid homeostasis or thyrotropic feedback control) is part of the neuroendocrine system responsible for the regulation of metabolism. As its name suggests, it depends upon the hypothalamus, the pituitary gland, and the thyroid gland.

The hypothalamus senses low circulating levels of thyroid hormone (Triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroxine (T4)) and responds by releasing thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH). The TRH stimulates the pituitary to produce thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH). The TSH, in turn, stimulates the thyroid to produce thyroid hormone until levels in the blood return to normal. Thyroid hormone exerts negative feedback control over the hypothalamus as well as anterior pituitary, thus controlling the release of both TRH from hypothalamus and TSH from anterior pituitary gland.[2]
[bolickclinic.com] - pursue this.. [www.iodinesource.com]
[search.yahoo.com]
Sam
May 29, 2016 11:38AM
Thanks, Jackie. I tested positive for antibodies. So I have Hashimotos. I had already started reducing my Iodine intake and I'll gradually take less and less over the next few weeks. I'll also increase my B12 intake which a number of sites recommend.

I'm due a retest in 6 weeks so I'll wait until them before taking the medication.

Thanks very much for the references. I'll read these in the next day or so - plus any other I find online.

Sam
May 29, 2016 11:52AM
Hi Sam - well that explains a lot. Many of the 'functional or restorative' medicine practitioners warn not to take iodine with Hashimoto's... and they also advise to be strictly gluten free. Also be aware of your water supply's fluoride content.

Check out this comment by Dr. Hedberg on iodine and Hashi's... [drhedberg.com] I've followed Dr. Hedberg on webinars, books and at his website as he offers a very balanced approach from the extremes and what's in the literature as it applies to a more holistic approach for thyroid dysfunction. If he were closer to my area, he'd be my thyroid consultant for sure. His website is loaded with information.

I certainly wish you the best of success in reversing the problem, Sam. Keep us posted.

Best to you,
Jackie
May 30, 2016 03:02AM
As noted, Hashimoto's and Iodine don't mix! Who was giving you the iodine recommendations for consumption Sam or were you taking those large doses based mostly on suggestions online?

Far too many people continue to take larger doses of iodine long after they have corrected an initial iodine deficiency by taking larger doses of Lugols or Iodoral tablets which are okay for many ( but not those with the autoimmune condition Hashimoto's).. Nevertheless you dont want to take too high a dosage for too long. Dr Thierry Hertoghe, one of the worlds premier Bio-identical hormone replacement Endocrinologist from Brussels and whose great grandfather wrote the first desiccated thyroid prescription in 1881, as a family including his grandfather and father both of whom were renown thyroidologist and who used Iodine over 80 years ago, has noted the importance of titrating ones iodine dose down to a safer and more effective maintenance dose after restoring a good 24 hour urine level of Iodine.

6 months or so can be enough sometimes longer for the tiger to modest dosage of iodine but those continuing with multiple Iodoral tablets a day for years are in most cases greatly overdosing and can really throw things out of whack, and can even lead to hyperthyroid surges.

Shannon
Sam
May 30, 2016 12:19PM
Thanks again, Jackie. I've been getting six monthly blood tests for TSH and T4 fo 2-3 years. Each time TSH was borderline and throughout my GP didn't do an antibodies test and led me to believe I had basic Hypothyroidism - for which Iodine is a good treatment.

Now, knowing it's Hashimoto's the situation is completely different, as your links and many other sites show, with supplemental Iodine making the condition worse. I'm very thankful for a new GP who suggested the Antibodies test the first time I saw her.

I'll continue to reduce Iodine gradually and also stop the 3 small slices I eat each day of my wife's delicious organic whole wheat bread. Actually the main reason I had it was that it stopped my nighttime acid reflux and last night, having cut down to 2 slices, I already felt the start of the acidity again. Nothing's easy is it!

Your latest link, which I see numerous other sites agree with, is also going to mean the return of a problem. I've used a filter (in an ioniser) for years which removes any fluoride; although our water supply has no added fluoride. I've suffered from sensitive teeth for many years and started using a toothpaste with fluoride, even (very reluctantly) not rinsing. This completely cured the problem so I guess its back the sensitivity again!
Sam
May 30, 2016 12:40PM
Shannon:

It was the posts of William who found that high dose Iodine stopped his Afib episodes that got me interested.

I found that many medical professionals recommend doses considerably higher than I ever reached. Dr David Brownstein, for example, says " My experience has shown that Iodine in doses ranging from 6-50 mg per day is adequate to provide Iodine for the vast majority of the population."

The most common figure that I found in my research was 12 mg per day as a permanent maintenance dose.

Sam
May 30, 2016 01:19PM
Sam,

For what it is worth, I have friends with Hashimotos who've improved their lot dramatically by following our doc's low lectin diet, linked here <[www.afibbers.org]

Dr. Gundry says that the issue is the body attacking the thyroid and healing your gut is highly important. He says his diet will do this by a) avoiding things that screw up the gut and b) by eating things that improve the gut. Of the nuts he approves, he says walnuts and pistachios will really help the gut as will a couple of grams of modified citrus pectin/day.

One friend saw dramatic improvement when she was compliant and dramatic reversal (the wrong way) when she "cheated."

George
Sam
May 31, 2016 11:21AM
Thanks George.

Sam
May 31, 2016 06:25PM
Sam - I thought you’d be interested in this about high-dose iodine treatments.

While there are doctors including Dr. Brownstein and his cohorts, Abraham, Flechas and Hakala, who are strong proponents of high dose iodine (Iodoral), there are many who discourage high dosing and are in favor of just repleting natural requirements for thyroid functionality. The Dr. Nikolas Hedberg I mentioned is highly regarded for his functional approach to thyroid issues, writes in his book, The Thyroid Alternative, (2011) these points that may be of interest:

“A few physicians are purported to treat not only thyroid disorders but fibrocystic breast disease, fibromyalgia, chronic Fatigue, prostate health and immune function with high doses of iodine. The information these physicians present is very intriguing but it appears that their original conclusions have gaping holes that must be accounted for. These physicians are promoting doses of iodine in the range of 12.5 to 50.0 mg of iodine per day. This is based on research of the average daily intake of Japanese mainlanders. Unfortunately, the studies were misquoted; thereby leaving no sound research to support such high doses of iodine.

According to papers published by Aceves and Cann, the average daily dose of iodine intake by Japanese is 5,280 micrograms or 5.28 mg/day. 22, 23 Also an FAO/WHO world report states the average daily intake of iodine by the Japanese is in the range of two to three milligrams per day.** Nagataki states in a recent paper: “The average of dietary iodine intake due to the ingestion of seaweeds is 1.2 mg/day in Japan.”24. Contrary to what some physicians hav led us to believe, experts in Japan do agree that iodine in excess can be detrimental and the average dose of iodine per day is false.” (page 98- references at the end) I had also heard another physician, some time ago, explaining this discrepancy and it was noted that the 12 mg number came about because the decimal point was omitted in one of the initial reports… and no one caught the error.

The Thyroid Alternative References
22. Cann SA et al. Hypothesis: iodine, selenium and the development of breast cancer. Cancer Causes Control. 2000;11(2):121-7
23. Moss, J (2007) A perspective on High Dose Iodine Supplements-Part V. The Japanese Experiment with Dietary Iodine. Moss Nutrition Report #218
24. Nagataki S. The average of dietary iodine intake due to the ingestion of seaweeds is 1.2 mg/day in Japan. Thyroid, 2008:18(6):667-68
** [www.fao.org]
=========

On the teeth sensitivity issue…. Consider brushing with sodium bicarbonate to alkalize oral tissue which helps eliminate sensitivity from an acidic tissue and salivary content in the oral cavity. You could even swallow small (extra) amounts to help with body tissue alkalinity and pH overall.

Be cautious with your brushing technique – be sure your brush is not “hard” and scrubbing back and forth causes erosion where the enamel (hard) joins the softer root surface known as the cemento-enamel junction (CEJ). Mechanical erosion happens easily and quickly from hard pressure/scrubbing. Sensitivity occurs where the enamel thins at the CEJ and the root surface (cementum) is then also abraded by harsh scrubbing so the tissue recedes exposing more sensitive tooth structure.

Dental plaque is also highly acidic, causes sensitivities and promotes decay in areas in exposed areas or in hidden areas. Between brushing sessions, you can dab on small amounts of the sodium bicarbonate or swish with a solution of the soda and water until you notice relief. If the sensitivity is mostly at the CEJ, use a very soft brush and a gentle, circular (tiny) motion with no scrubbing back and forth across several teeth at once. It will take time to get relief.

As you noted, there are toothpastes and rinses that help remineralize and eliminate sensitivity but typically they typically contain high levels of fluoride and a slew of other chemicals that make me cringe when I read the labels… so hopefully, the alkaline pH will begin to provide some relief for you.

I wish you well with the Hashimoto’s. If I were you, I’d stop adding the iodine right away. Unfortunate about your home-baked bread, but you also need to avoid all sources of gluten and not just wheat.

Best to you,
Jackie
Sam
June 01, 2016 06:33AM
Many thanks, Jackie.

Very interesting on Iodine which I had decided to cut down over a couple of weeks.

And very useful comments on sensitive teeth. I had already started to use bicarbonate of soda to clean my teeth after your last reply.

The wheaten bread was my only source of gluten and that's gone. I've started to take Aloe Vera juice and hope that will do the job the bread was so good at i.e. stopping the nighttime acid reflux.

Sam
June 01, 2016 08:32AM
Sam - on the acid reflux, keep in mind that reflux often occurs because there isn't enough stomach acid to break down food... which means lack of nutrients that facilitate stomach acid production... ie, vitamin B 12 (methylcobalamin) and zinc. Along with those, take a potent digestive enzyme with every meal and snack so that you don't have undigested food residues accumulating and causing acid reflux.

Follow the alkaline pH protocols we've discussed because until your body is regularly in the alkaline tissue pH mode, there will be other issues that may not have the noticeable symptoms. Using the pH strips helps.

The aloe vera juice should help with alkalinity. Definitely using the magnesium bicarbonate water (aka WW) regularly, day and night, helps promote and support alkalinity.

I certainly wish you well in getting all this reversed.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login