Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

whey protein and arrhythmia

Posted by gleeloyd 
whey protein and arrhythmia
April 19, 2016 03:59PM
I've started trying to isolate foods that are causing my spells of arrhythmia. They always start after eating. Today, after a noon workout in the gym, I drank a whey protein shake (powder from Costco mixed with water). Within 30 minutes, the arrhythmia was in full swing. Fortunately, back to normal rhythm in about an hour.

I searched this forum and found the statement below, within a larger discussion about free glutamate authored by Fran Ross:

"7. You are right about whey protein."

Anyone know what this was referring to? This was the post:
Fran Ross post

Gary
Re: whey protein and arrhythmia
April 19, 2016 04:50PM
Gary - Check the label to see if you can determine if the whey is described as "undenatured".... if not, that might be the source of the problem. When done properly that process removes all of the casein and virtually all (99%) of the lactose. Over-processing might also create molecules that are disruptive to your biochemical individuality. Look also for other additives or ingredients such as artificial sweeteners such as Splenda or sucralose as those are known AF triggers... or food coloring or flavoring or carrageenan which is ubiquitious in many packaged foods.

However, Casein is often a culprit for afibbers so if this is your first use of that particular whey protein, then be suspect if it is not undenatured. Fran was very conscious of and elaborated significantly on the importance of eliminating "free glutamate" food sources from diets of afibbers... and casein is one source of free glutamate.

This segment comes from an online report:

Free glutamate may be listed as any one of a number of ingredients:

Monosodium glutamate, monopotassium glutamate, yeast extract, anything “hydrolyzed” such as hydrolyzed protein, calcium caseinate, autolyzed yeast, textured protein, gelatin, soy protein (including isolate and concentrate), whey protein (including isolate and concentrate), carrageenan, bouillon and broth, stock, and “flavors” or “flavoring” (i.e. natural vanilla flavor), maltodextrin, citric acid, pectin, milk powder, soy sauce, anything “protein fortified,” corn starch, corn syrup and modified food starch.

Here are links to more inclusive lists of hidden free glutamate, including a link to unblindmymind.org, which is a nonprofit working to raise awareness of the link between autism and MSG (13, 14).
Natural sources of free glutamate:

Foods matured, cured, or preserved, such as matured cheeses (Parmesan and Roquefort) and cured meats
Fish sauce
Soy sauce and soy protein
Mushrooms
Ripe tomatoes
Broccoli
Peas
Walnuts
Grape juice
Bone broths and meats cooked for long times (generally using moist cooking methods such as braising)
Malted barley used in breads and beer
Wheat gluten
Dairy casein

Source: [chriskresser.com]

Read also in that report about the free glutamate, leaky gut and crossing the blood brain barrier as potential culprits.

Jackie
May 04, 2016 10:47AM
I have read that all protein powders are a source of glutimate, something to do with the processing
May 08, 2016 09:14AM
Lynn - that is probably true when high heat is involved.

The undenatured/cold processed whey specifically by Proserum(R) uses a process that doesn't produce the free glutamates.

Example in cooking would be long, slow simmering of a pot roast would produce abundant free glutamates whereas a quick, pan searing of a steak would keep the free glutamates low. In the early posts by Fran, she elaborated significantly on the benefits of cooking to avoid free glutamates and was one of her protocols in her cure of Afib.

If you look for the Proserum registered trademark on whey protein powder label, that should avoid the free glutamate issue.

Jackie
May 12, 2016 08:09AM
Thanks Jackie, I didn't know that. I actually have a casein allergy so I can't use whey. I wonder if there are vegetable proteins produced using this process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 08:12AM by Lynn.
April 03, 2017 12:17AM
Another ingredient that I have read might cause such problems is artificial sweeteners.
I went into a body-building shop and they found every single one of their whey protein products contained artificial sweeteners.
In the end I did find a solitary brand on Amazon that was free of these chemicals.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login